My First Audi - DSG question

NJG

Hi all, I just thought I would add to the list of Audi members on here. :)

I'm loving my MK2 TTS (2014). Bought it with very low mileage and like the build quality and the great drive!

I have had it for a year now, and something I have noticed only this week, is that the DSG seems to have adjusted its timing in the up shifts in Sport mode, whereby it hangs on longer than it used to when I first had the car.

I fully understand that when in Sport, the up shifts and down shifts are 'more aggressive' by holding in gear longer before it changes up, and quicker down shifts too (sounds great by the way), but at the moment, it seems to take an age before changing up past 3rd , even just lightly pressing the throttle on a flat straight at 40mph say. 

It's definitely holding the lower gears much longer than it ever did, and as a test, I was on a local road and left the box in Sport, with just light acceleration on a level road the car got up to 3rd, and just sat in 3rd whilst maintaining 40mph. I then manually changed up to 6th, and after the timeout period, it went back in to 3rd again when in Sport .

It didn't manage to get past 3rd gear with low to moderate acceleration, and when I took the car on a dual carriageway, it eventually sat in 5th whilst cruising at 70.

Previously It would up shift to 4th, 5th and 6th in the same situation when the accelerator wasn't pushing for more power.

It's almost as if the gear selection has nominated 5th as top now, and effected the gears below.

Drive "D" mode is behaving normally.

I believe there is a reset procedure for the DSG, and not sure if I need to do this.?

Sorry to post my first topic with a technical query!!

Just wondering if this is normal with the DSG learning or adapting ??

Hello Nick and welcome.

Good to here your enjoying your Audi TTS. I brought my second Audi which had a DSG gearbox nearly new from a main dealer a few years ago now. First time I had driven a car without a manual gearbox so the salesman did a comprehensive demo with thorough talk through. He did indeed tell me that the gearbox adjusts to your driving style. So even if you do a reset the gearbox will again change to suit you. So that car was the most relaxing I have driven and it just improved over time. 

Hope this has helped 👍

7 hours ago, Adbro said:

Hello Nick and welcome.

Good to here your enjoying your Audi TTS. I brought my second Audi which had a DSG gearbox nearly new from a main dealer a few years ago now. First time I had driven a car without a manual gearbox so the salesman did a comprehensive demo with thorough talk through. He did indeed tell me that the gearbox adjusts to your driving style. So even if you do a reset the gearbox will again change to suit you. So that car was the most relaxing I have driven and it just improved over time. 

Hope this has helped 👍

Hi Adam

Thanks very much for your reply and information.

It's all clever stuff! I'm quite happy with the DSG, and guess I'm adapting to it too!!

It's a great car, and just enjoy driving it .

Thanks again!

Nick