Silencer Dripping Water

Johnmac

Bought my A3 brand new in March, my first Audi.

Right away I discovered water dripping from the silencer when parked. Not from tailpipe, but the silencer box itself. After visits to dealer and conversations with Audi, I'm told this is "normal" and can't be fixed.

I've never had this before in dozens of cars. Anyone had this experience?

Welcome to the forum John, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

if it's not dripping from the tail pipe then I'd argue there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust. Water dripping out of an exhaust often occurs on vehicles that don't get driven often. So my question is, how much do you drive your a3?

Might be worth you getting back second opinion and taking it to another Audi garage.

cheers

Steve

Steve Q. I only do about 3k a year so very low mileage.

My dealer actually changed the silencer which dripped in exactly the same place. They then contacted technical support at Audi who told them drip was normal in low mileage petrol models and they shouldn't have changed it. I spoke to Audi who confirmed this was indeed normal although I'd never heard of it and neither had the dealer! Excess water is meant to escape this way it seems.

I was curious to see if any other owners were aware of this but I guess I'll just have to continue putting a basin under it to keep the garage dry!

many thanks