Engine reliability, 08 1.6 petrol vs 2.0 TDI

grady.c.y

Hey guys, 

I'm looking into getting an 08+ Audi A3 and am torn between two main options. My budget means anything newer than 2012 isn't really on the table and I dont want below 08. This is based in the UK.

I'm set on the sportback (manual) and there seems to be a trend that 80% of the options are either a 1.6L Petrol (No turbo) or a 2.0L Diesel TDI. 

So, my main question is about the reliability of the 2.0 TDI vs the 1.6 Petrol. I know I wont get much power on the petrol but im a fairly young driver and my last car (which blew up on me at 100K miles) was an 1.4 L 2006 Astra, and I found that fine power wise so I reckon the 1.6 petrol should do me fine.

My main draw towards the 2.0 TDI is that the available models all seem to be of slightly better spec: More power, leather interior with bose sound/satnav etc whereas the petrol models I'm seeing are quite barebones. 

Summary: I've heard of a lot of issues around the 2.0 TDI. Does anyone have info specifically 08-12 engines compare to the 1.6L Petrol of the same timeframe (and both in manual)? My MAIN focus is reliability since I'll be buying between 50-70K Mileage and I'm a fresh graduate.