Brake servo restricted

Stevie84

45 minutes ago, RossC said:

Hi all, appreciate this topic is a bit older now so may not get a response. I have just changed my sensor, no more error message and car drives fine but I now have an engine management light on. Is this something I should be concerned about? 

When I changed my sensor all warnings lights went out, I’d definitely investigate why you still have an engine management light. 

I wouldn't have thought the engine management warning light is related to the brake sensor. Probably a coincidence.

Definitely get a scan done

• Like 1

Hi all, just fixed the brake servo restricted issue, there are many cheap sensors on eBay, I paid £14.00 and fitted it myself, very simple and straight forward, 10 mins with following pictures and uTube video. Went for a drive and all fixed, no need for an OBD, don't go to Audi if they are asking for £500.00!!!!!

Sensor.webp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had this error come up today on my 2020 A4 Avant which has only done 27k from new.

Interesting to read that most people seem to get the fault when the car has been standing for a long time, mine is used regularly and is driven at least every 2-3 days.

I've had no warning messages come up on my dash but I have the following in the My Audi App:

Brake servo: restricted. You can continue driving. Please contact workshop

Start/stop system: fault. Please contact workshop.

Am I ok to drive with these or not and are they definitely related to the sensor issue mentioned in this thread?

I'm due to do 1000 miles starting this Friday so presume I need this fixing urgently?!

I'd get it done asap. The feedback (a judder) from the brake pedal on longer journeys got quite un-nerving but disappeared the moment I changed the sensor.

No No No. 😱
Please Do not drive  !

I only drove about 30 miles and had visited the Audi garage who also said I could “probably” drive for a while. However the ABS blew and cost me iro £3500 to replace I had driven less miles than you. Good luck 🙏

Edited by P3N

Thanks both, I'll try to get it booked in somewhere. The thought of the ABS failing is a bit unnerving!

I only had it serviced a few weeks ago and have recently had new front tyres fitted. This isn't something that could have knocked during either of those procedures is it?

Unlikely, the sensor is under windscreen cowl.

But might be worth mentioning to the garage that you only had the problem after the service, to see if they'll do you a good price. It's also very easy to change yourself if you get the part <5mins.

If you read through the topic you will see that the part is just peanuts to purchase and apparently really easy to swap. Too late for me but not too late for you. There’s also a “ how to “. video. Dont delay get this changed the nseethe at the  unfairness. 

I've booked it in for Thursday now, will argue the toss when I drop it off that they might have caused it!

Thanks everyone for your help

1 hour ago, ggdt said:

I've booked it in for Thursday now, will argue the toss when I drop it off that they might have caused it!

Thanks everyone for your help

Had this back in mid-2020…very unnerving and we didn’t know the fix back then. I kept driving it and it cost me bad.
If I were you, I wouldn’t drive another mile. Get the part yourself and fit it yourself. It’s a doddle. 
Even if it’s booked in, still get the part. The garage may not have experience and not be able to fit it, or the part may not be available..yada yada yada. 
If you’re booked to do 1k from Friday, and it isn’t fixed, you’ll 100% need to replace the abs unit by the end of your trip. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, neeko99 said:

Hi, everyone... I've had the same problem on our 2017 Q7... parked up for most of lock down and drove it for the first time in a while yesterday and the brake servo and start/stop error appeared... Seems to be a theme here across most models... 

Lockdown was four years ago. Have you regularly charged the battery since then. A weak or defective battery may be the cause of your faults.

4 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Lockdown was four years ago. Have you regularly charged the battery since then. A weak or defective battery may be the cause of your faults.

Sorry I wasn’t clear; I had the juddery brake pedal in mid-2020. After 100 or so miles not sorting it, the abs unit bricked. Had to have it replaced. 

I learned the hard way, so just lending my experience to others. 
I think this might be my thread actually 😂

Terrible memory eh Ian.   I threw several hissy fits at Audi and still they deny that they know anything about this fault. I’m even now wondering if this could or will happen again and thinking to have a replacement part just in case.  The expensive replacment ABS  parts etc came with a 2 year warranty which has now expired. Not a thing decent customers should have to be concerned about.   What do others think ?  

1 hour ago, ian.f said:

Had this back in mid-2020…very unnerving and we didn’t know the fix back then. I kept driving it and it cost me bad.
If I were you, I wouldn’t drive another mile. Get the part yourself and fit it yourself. It’s a doddle. 
Even if it’s booked in, still get the part. The garage may not have experience and not be able to fit it, or the part may not be available..yada yada yada. 
If you’re booked to do 1k from Friday, and it isn’t fixed, you’ll 100% need to replace the abs unit by the end of your trip. 

I've booked it in with Audi (I know) so I'd hope they know how to fit it!

From what I can tell I'm covered under my warranty too, although that may rely on Audi providing a quote and the warranty company agreeing to pay it on the same day 😐

From looking around on-line it doesn't look like I can get an OEM part delivered before Friday and the Audi main dealer is only 5 miles away.

Edited by ggdt

4 hours ago, ggdt said:

Thanks both, I'll try to get it booked in somewhere. The thought of the ABS failing is a bit unnerving!

I only had it serviced a few weeks ago and have recently had new front tyres fitted. This isn't something that could have knocked during either of those procedures is it?

It's unlikely that it's something the garage did.

It's a very common issue so the timing is just a coincidence.

Please do not drive it until the the sensor is replaced (it's so easy to do).

On 8/27/2024 at 7:12 PM, ggdt said:

I've booked it in with Audi (I know) so I'd hope they know how to fit it!

From what I can tell I'm covered under my warranty too, although that may rely on Audi providing a quote and the warranty company agreeing to pay it on the same day 😐

From looking around on-line it doesn't look like I can get an OEM part delivered before Friday and the Audi main dealer is only 5 miles away.

Needs must indeed 😂

Theres a couple on Amazon with next day delivery; my advice would definitely to get one. 

If it can’t be done for any reason, please please don’t drive it until you can get one fitted. I made the mistake as several others did too…don’t be a statistic!

To update this I had the repair done by Audi yesterday. It was just the sensor that needed replacing, no ABS issues thankfully.

Total cost of the repair was £336 of which £195 was labour! Fortunately I have a 3rd party warranty which covers some of it so I'll get £176 back.

That leaves me £160 out of pocket but if I'd done it myself I'd have paid £102 to buy the sensor from Audi anyway so I'm not to upset about that.

Thanks all for the advice, could have been so much worse if I hadn't read this forum 👍

Edited by ggdt
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, ggdt said:

To update this I had the repair done by Audi yesterday. It was just the sensor that needed replacing, no ABS issues thankfully.

Total cost of the repair was £336 of which £195 was labour! Fortunately I have a 3rd party warranty which covers some of it so I'll get £176 back.

That leaves me £160 out of pocket but if I'd done it myself I'd have paid £102 to buy the sensor from Audi anyway so I'm not to upset about that.

Thanks all for the advice, could have been so much worse if I hadn't read this forum 👍

Happy you’re sorted Mate. 

But jee-wizz, £336…daylight robbery. How are we still allowing Audi (and the likes) charge this?! When I did mine (20k post full replace of ABS unit) it took me 10 mins and cost me £20. Shocking from Audi…again. 

In case anyone wonders, I’m replacing mine every 20k now…not falling for that trap again!

Edited by ian.f

45 minutes ago, ggdt said:

That is a disgusting charge! I had the fault appear on the dash, quick search to see what the cause could be and think the part was 14.99 from vag parts. Changed it in less then 5 mins and no issues since. Audi dealers should be ashamed of what they charge! No wonder the showrooms are so nice, shows how much mark up they have in car sales and service charges..... 

• Like 1

I concur with the other responses!

That is horrendous service from Audi! What a rip-off!

I purchased a genuine OEM part from Audi for around £90 and it took me less than 5 minutes to replace (no exaggeration)!

5 minutes ago, kh904 said:

I concur with the other responses!

That is horrendous service from Audi! What a rip-off!

I purchased a genuine OEM part from Audi for around £90 and it took me less than 5 minutes to replace (no exaggeration)!

I'd only have used a genuine OEM part if doing it myself and the cost of that is now £102.60 

If I'd not got some of it back under warranty I'd be more annoyed but in reality I've only ended up paying £58 more than if I'd bought the part and done it myself.

That doesn't mean that Audi aren't taking the &#33;Removed&#33; here but for me personally it's worked out ok going to them.

I'm more annoyed that the part failed in the first place on a 4 year old car with only 27k on the clock! 

• Like 2

I hear you!

I'm also annoyed with Audi, because they are well aware of the issue with the part, yet make no effort sending out comms to the owners!

It is a real shame Audi can't do the right thing and admit there is an issue. If they had a recall and replaced the old faulty sensors the next time a car was in for service it would be a relatively cheap solution in my opinion.

It has shaken my trust in the brand from a quality side as it is poor to have faults on newish cars, and also a customer service side when they don't correct their own mistakes.

I don't think my next car will be an Audi as a result of what should be a minor problem to fix. Shame on Audi.

• Like 2