coil spring replacement + Radiator

liljohn

My car just failed it MOT due to fractured coil springs and an advisory coolant leak. I need both the front springs replacing and im not 100% on what is a good price at a garage. I have been told by the mechanic who did the MOT that best case for both springs would be £220 and £300 worst case if the bearings need changing too. This isnt even considering the radiator needing to be replaced if thats where the leak is from. 

I would've imagined say £300 for the lot but 200-300 just for the springs seems steep. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2007, 1.6 standard a3

Hello Jordon,

I think your expectations for buying a new radiator and two front springs and then getting these parts fitted for a total cost of £300 is an ask too far. 
Parts costings:- 

Search eBay for a pair of the correct springs for your car. I would be cautious of buying at the cheapest price. 
Same search and comments for radiator. ( if indeed you do need to replace the radiator). 
Let’s just deal with the cost of the springs first - you will then know what the cost of the parts would be.

Time to fit a pair of springs - possibly 2.5/3 hrs?? Labour rates in your area? - so you will need to find about, but I guess £45/hr (+ VAT?) would be reasonably cheap I suppose. 
You just need to do the maths then.
Mention of bearings - probably refers to the possible need to renew the top suspension mounts which again you can price, and these shouldn’t add any additional labour charge. 
Perhaps you could let us know what you come up with Jordon.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. You could try Car Parts in Motion ( no connection) who seem to have reasonable brands (Febi etc.) at reasonable prices. I think Steve Y also mentioned them a month or so back, where he too mentioned them as worth a try. Generally better prices than those who offer big discounts off so called retail prices. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Jordon,

I think your expectations for buying a new radiator and two front springs and then getting these parts fitted for a total cost of £300 is an ask too far. 
Parts costings:- 

Search EBay for a pair of the correct springs for your car. I would be cautious of buying at the cheapest price. 
Same search and comments for radiator. ( if indeed you do need to replace the radiator). 
Let’s just deal with the cost of the springs first - you will then know what the cost of the parts would be.

Time to fit a pair of springs - possibly 2.5/3 hrs?? Labour rates in your area? - so you will need to find about, but I guess £45/hr (+ VAT?) would be reasonably cheap I suppose. 
You just need to do the maths then.
Mention of bearings - probably refers to the possible need to renew the top suspension mounts which again you can price, and these shouldn’t add any additional labour charge. 
Perhaps you could let us know what you come up with Jordon.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. You could try Car Parts in Motion ( no connection) who seem to have reasonable brands (Febi etc.) at reasonable prices. I think Steve Y also mentioned them a month or so back, where he too mentioned them as worth a try. Generally better prices than those who offer big discounts off so called retail prices. 

Thanks Gareth,

I am very new to this and was a bit out of touch with prices, particularly labour. I’d say the lower quote of £200 for the springs sounds pretty good now.

i will have to check out the car parts in motion site for sure though.

I imagine the job of the radiator should take no more than 2 hours or so too? 

If so would it be realistic to assume a price around 400-450 for the lot?

Thanks for coming back Jordon.

Don’t ignore eBay as a competitive source of brands of the quality you choose. Yes, of course check CP in M.for their price for the chosen item. Talk to at least a couple of trusted local garages for prices. 
Radiator? Personally I would park this problem for the time being, and concentrate on the springs, and ask the garage who will do the springs, for their advice on whether the leak you have (how severe?) is indeed associated with the radiator or not, and move from there. 
Best policy- worry about one thing at at time! - and always do your homework before committing to get anything done.

Good luck with it all.

Kind regards,

Gareth.