Coolant leak + no heat coming through air vents

Jacklawrence9780

Looking for some help, over last 2 month a couple of times I’ve had coolant level warnings, to begin with this happened very rarely and far apart so each time I would check coolant level and expansion tank would be almost empty so I would fill back up to correct level. Just recently this has become more frequent. I have checked the car over and can’t find any signs of a leak anywhere. To add context to this about 18months ago I had a coolant leak which turned out to be egr cooler which we then completely removed and also had the head checked and new gasket put on. Also on top of all these my heating stoped working about 6 months ago this is before the coolant leak began. I have no idea if the too problems are related. I have had a new thermostat fitted recently to see if that fixed the heater problem which it didn’t and the coolant loss has got worse since then. Has anyone had any similar issues before to either problem or know if this is all one problem ? Any help much appreciated! This car seems to have been a bad apple ever since i bought it getting fed up of it now. 

Jack.

Having opened the cooling system for EGR removal and a new thermostat, there is a good chance the system is now air locked. It's a common problem. The reduced or even complete loss of flow caused by the air lock would explain the lack of cabin heating, and the level loss as the coolant occaisionally boils away.

I had some web sites bookmarked with recommendations on how to deal with the problem, however I can no longer find them, but I daresay you can find suitable information if you ask Mr. Google nicely.