Car wont start tried new battery

jackaudi132

Hi i have a 2005 Audi a3 2.0tdi i drove the car it was working fine i came back in the house to come back into the car 35 mins later for the car to not start just a single click sound from which it sounded like the front fuse box, i then left car tried to start again after 10 mins, for no lights to come on my dash but was previously on when i tried it first but my headlights still work and my front fan  comes on. I got told it could be a dead battery so i went out to buy one replaced a new battery and still the same situation 

Has anyone had this problem or can point me in the right direction 

Thanks 

Jack

Hi mate yea the battery is charged actually both battery I got now are reading over 12 volts so I dont think it's the battery, all local electrical mechanics all fully booked for 2 weeks around my way so unable to get diagnostic check

Hello Jack,

I think it would be highly unlikely that both old and new batteries are unserviceable, but to assume a battery is OK because it reads 12v on a simple multimeter is incorrect. When you measure using a simple meter. you are measuring under ‘no load’ conditions, and batteries must be tested under load.

If this were mine, I would be checking all associated battery connected leads, the main engine earth, and the connections onto the starter motor (with care). If all is proved to be well, and you have a sound 12v supply onto the smaller lead on the starter motor, then you can begin to suspect the starter, but it sounds as if you do need the services of an auto electrician, otherwise you will end up spending unwisely.
Kind regards,

Gareth.