Fuel rail issue

Bris14

Hi all,

I would like to add a little if I may, I am an independent workshop just gathering some background info on the issue / problem you are all discussing. I am currently repairing a 2018 Audi A4 1.4, it has 33k on the clock and it has exactly the fault you all have had. so it appears the fault is still around. I am also very shocked that this is not on a recall as it is potentially a very dangerous problem.

• 11 months later...

Good morning,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post and I've have just had the same issue as mentioned in this topic, happen to me over the weekend with my 2017 plate, 1.4 A3.

The fuel rail injector bolt had sheared and damaged the seal, leaving me stuck in Hotel Chocolat car park (could have been worse!) with the smell of fuel everywhere and an engine that wouldn’t start! does anybody know if there has been any update on this issue relating specifically to the A3 model, as I’m aware of a recall, in 2019, but of different models…? I will be emailing Audi customer services to make them aware.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 11:29 AM, Angus Forsyth said:

Good morning,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post and I've have just had the same issue as mentioned in this topic, happen to me over the weekend with my 2017 plate, 1.4 A3.

The fuel rail injector bolt had sheared and damaged the seal, leaving me stuck in Hotel Chocolat car park (could have been worse!) with the smell of fuel everywhere and an engine that wouldn’t start! does anybody know if there has been any update on this issue relating specifically to the A3 model, as I’m aware of a recall, in 2019, but of different models…? I will be emailing Audi customer services to make them aware.

Good Morning All,

An update on the above issue...Audi UK customer services will not entertain anything to do with this subject as the repair was not carried out at an "Audi Approved Centre" therefore calling into question the diagnosis of the AA patrolman and the qualified mechanic that undertook the repair.

What needs to happen? an actual vehicle fire or something even worse, for them to look into this matter.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I'm adding to this post as my 2018 1.4 TFSi Q3 has suffered the same issue as you've all mentioned with fuel rail. 

I spoke to the Audi dealer which is fixing the car at present and they have quoted me £140 for diagnostic and a further £220 labor to remove the manifold to get to the leak so in total £360 before anything has been fixed! Has anyone come up against similar costs with Audi? Goodness knows how much more they're going to charge for the fixing and parts! 

I will be approaching Audi UK tomorrow with this thread to hand as evidence of recurring issue to try and get them involved while my car is in their workshop. If anyone has had the issue diagnosed and repaired with Audi please let me know because that will bolster the whole argument that this issue is not a one off and they cannot keep ignoring it.

Many thanks all,

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 6:15 PM, AJS1990 said:

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I'm adding to this post as my 2018 1.4 TFSi Q3 has suffered the same issue as you've all mentioned with fuel rail. 

I spoke to the Audi dealer which is fixing the car at present and they have quoted me £140 for diagnostic and a further £220 labor to remove the manifold to get to the leak so in total £360 before anything has been fixed! Has anyone come up against similar costs with Audi? Goodness knows how much more they're going to charge for the fixing and parts! 

I will be approaching Audi UK tomorrow with this thread to hand as evidence of recurring issue to try and get them involved while my car is in their workshop. If anyone has had the issue diagnosed and repaired with Audi please let me know because that will bolster the whole argument that this issue is not a one off and they cannot keep ignoring it.

Many thanks all,

Hi,

Did you get your car fixed? Interesting that it's happening to the Q3 too. I very much got treated like I was the only person that had the issue, not doubt they have made everyone else feel the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

Just happened to me last week - 20.5.2024 on a Q3, 2017 1.4. Car didn't start, smelt some fuel - got a mobile mechanic out and it was 3 loose bolts and one sheared off.

We're lucky that the battery was also on its way out.. so couldn't start the car if we tried.

OK, so we are now into 2 pages of ‘I’ve had similar problem…’ type responses. 

It would be great if posters would be kind enough to now take a little time and respond with how this issue actually panned out for them. 

Come on folks - let’s have some reciprocal feedback.

Many thanks,

Gareth. 

Hi all,

It quite disheartening to see more “loose bolts” and Audi continuing to refuse taking any responsibility or to even attempt to recall 2016-2017 Audi A3s and also the Q3 by the looks of it.

From my experience, I was told this was a wear and tear issue but that it wasn’t my fault either? I was without a car for about a week and they charged me £800 including diagnostic fees etc. I stupidly paid this as I desperately needed my car back. 

I had said to Audi and questioned if there was ever any recall and they had simply told me there was no recall for 16-17 models and this was just a one off thing that can happen. But then I found this page and it was clearly an ongoing issue for many others.

I decided against pursuing this further as I didn’t seem to get anywhere with my local dealer. After this experience I haven’t taken my car back to Audi for repairs, only for my MOT’s.

I would just like to add that I am very glad no one has been dangerously injured or worse due to this problem. 

Thanks

Sophie

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I unfortunately have the same issue. 

Just paid £230 last week to have a coolant leak fixed I am not sure if it was relevant the following week car wouldn’t start and you could smell fuel leaking from underneath. Took it back to garage they said that they have seen similar instances with Audis which have been recalled for the same reason and they can’t fix it so best bet is to get it to an Audi approved garage. The place I bought it from can’t help.

I have a 1.4 Audi Q2 2018. Will have to get it recovered to a local Audi approved garage but doesn’t sound promising based on what everyone has said. Is there an option to hand it back and take a new car do you know? Ive paid so much in repairs recently. I really don’t want to pay to fix it and will be fighting for this to be repaired based on the comments here but the women on the phone even said she doubts il get very far without there being a recall and I’d have to pay £140 for diagnostic then they will let me know how much the work will cost. Sounds like from here can be up to £1000. 

Interested to hear if anyone got any sort of resolution other than paying the repairs given it’s obvious there is a manufacturer defect. 

Thanks

Mhairi 

1 hour ago, Mhairi said:

Hi all,

I unfortunately have the same issue. 

Just paid £230 last week to have a coolant leak fixed I am not sure if it was relevant the following week car wouldn’t start and you could smell fuel leaking from underneath. Took it back to garage they said that they have seen similar instances with Audis which have been recalled for the same reason and they can’t fix it so best bet is to get it to an Audi approved garage. The place I bought it from can’t help.

I have a 1.4 Audi Q2 2018. Will have to get it recovered to a local Audi approved garage but doesn’t sound promising based on what everyone has said. Is there an option to hand it back and take a new car do you know? Ive paid so much in repairs recently. I really don’t want to pay to fix it and will be fighting for this to be repaired based on the comments here but the women on the phone even said she doubts il get very far without there being a recall and I’d have to pay £140 for diagnostic then they will let me know how much the work will cost. Sounds like from here can be up to £1000. 

Interested to hear if anyone got any sort of resolution other than paying the repairs given it’s obvious there is a manufacturer defect. 

Thanks

Mhairi 

Why the diagnostic?, its obvious visually why there's a problem, technically you can only back the vehicle as unfit for purpose if its a recent purchase, I used to be a firm fan of Audis but their breathtaking lack of customer service and overcharging for parts has changed my view, even the parts guy at my local VAG dealers remarked on the widening gap between the rest of the group and Audi with the pricing structures, this is because of the abject failure of their electric models of which they have suspended production a few times, these cars have had more expensive problems than their fossil fuelled cousins and actually cost less to produce, allied to the statement that they were going to concentrate more as a luxury car producer that immediately ironed out sixty percent of the potential market but with all the problems with the premium electric vehicles the forty percent market is not as keen as they first thought.

Steve.

Similar issue with Audit Q3 2018. Any one had any luck with Audi about recovering the repair costs?

• 1 month later...

Same issue has happened to me last week. It is bought from Audi approved dealer in 2019, have serviced only in approved Audi every year and it has leaked fuel on my driveway, because of the same reasons.

it is 17 plate and 38k milages.

this is a complete shock for me to see that sane thing is happening to many.

I will definitely escalate this to Audi UK and give an update in here, if some progress happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, A3Sline said:

Same issue has happened to me last week. It is bought from Audi approved dealer in 2019, have serviced only in approved Audi every year and it has leaked fuel on my driveway, because of the same reasons.

it is 17 plate and 38k milages.

this is a complete shock for me to see that sane thing is happening to many.

I will definitely escalate this to Audi UK and give an update in here, if some progress happens.

Oh no, so sorry that are experiencing the same thing! Please see my post above about the consumer rights act if they tell you it’s out of warranty. You can call citizens advice for help with it. Best of luck sorting it! 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:15 PM, Steve Q said:

Please keep us posted on how you get on 🙂

Hi! I’m so sorry I didn’t come back to you. I had some issues logging into my account and then totally forgot about it. I have just managed to resolve after seeing someone else having issues.

They ended up fixing my car and giving me a £400 “good will” payment because they messed me about for so long. They wouldn’t admit any liability or that this is an issue they are aware of for obvious reasons - they don’t want a recall!

I ended up being around £900 out of pocket so wasn’t happy about it just had no where to go legally because of inheriting the car. Sorry to see that so many more people are having the issue! Not sure how we could get them take this seriously? Maybe we all write to watchdog or something like that to get some media attention? 🤷🏼‍♀️ it’s such a dangerous issue!