Alternator failure related to mild hybrid system?

PocketsAintEmptyCuh

Hi all, 

Another one that seems to have fault. Audi A3 2021, only done 20,000 miles. Been quoted 1.8k for a new generator, 3 weeks out of warranty, dealership refusing to pay. 

Does anyone know if I can go any further with this? Appreciate it is out of warranty, loyal customer had 3 Audis previously, all services with them ect seems to be no goodwill. I have emailed the MD this morning of Audi and Sytner. 

26 minutes ago, Enthusiast07 said:

Hi all, 

Another one that seems to have fault. Audi A3 2021, only done 20,000 miles. Been quoted 1.8k for a new generator, 3 weeks out of warranty, dealership refusing to pay. 

Does anyone know if I can go any further with this? Appreciate it is out of warranty, loyal customer had 3 Audis previously, all services with them ect seems to be no goodwill. I have emailed the MD this morning of Audi and Sytner. 

Which dealership is this with? I was told by Bristol Audi and Audi uk they can offer gestures of goodwill if you are a loyal customer. I only got help with the price after 8weeks of fighting them back and forth I was out of warranty by 5months. If you can cope without your car stand your ground and fight it til they start supporting you. If you bought it directly from Audi you can also say they need to support you under the consumer rights act (2015 I think check the date). 
Alot of us have also gone to the motor ombudsman and DVSA and you can say there are multiple cases with the same issue. Good luck I hope you get it sorted!

It’s Wakefield Audi which is ran by Sytner Group, I bought directly from them as well. I am also worried about how long the part will take to come as there has been no mention of that, is there quite a wait time? 

I’ve told them I am not collecting the car until it is sorted! 

Hi Ben, I  had to go through the Audi UK Chief Executive just to get £500 goodwill and still had to buy a small runaround as my local dealership couldn't offer a courtesy car and I was told it could potentially take months to fix. £500 for breaking down in a lane of live docks traffic where I could have been wiped out. But apparently it's not a known issue!!!

This is the letter I had published in my local regional paper. I've also contacted What Car and await a response. Also waiting on the DVSA as Audi's 28-day deadline has expired. Everything seems to be moving at a glacial pace despite the urgency.

P1150702.JPG

I tried to get motoring journalists interested but guess what, they do no want to !Removed! their pitch with Audi as they may not be asked to review new cars. That is their income forget about the customer being in danger!

Mark2 that’s frustrating to hear though to your point not unsurprising given the conflict of interest, still you would hope somebody in that journalistic cohort would have remembered where they had put their moral compass.

The pace on getting this broader air time given the nature of the danger it represents is remains very disappointing. 

Per earlier posts I am still pushing on Which to take this up with Audi.  I’m hopeful they are going to publish something though getting confirmation on what and when remains conspicuous through absence.

I have emphasised that it feels like a disaster waiting to happen with customers and other road users being put in significant danger when their cars shut down. I have also highlighted that there are plenty of customers willing to share their experiences on this and similar forums.

I have also asked them to push Audi UK for comment on a number of key questions which include among others: 

1. What volume of MHEV 48v/12v alternator failures have they experienced over the past 3-4 years across the ranges in which that system is fitted and how that compares to standard expected component in life fault rates 

2. Whether or not Audi UK / Group have identified the root cause for the failure and whether or not the replacement when fitted applies a full fix or simply a like for like swap (even if component is a different SKU number) which is prone to the same failure. 

3. Whether or not they have advised all U.K. dealerships of the 7 year warranty extension on the MHEV 48v/12v alternator component? It appears to be a complete lottery for customers who experience this with Audi dealerships giving completely variable responses and from what I have seen, only those who persistently chase the Audi UK Exec office getting any kind of support.

4. Why Audi U.K. won’t push the central Audi group for the development of at least a clear on dash warning when the 12v battery is no longer being charged (i.e MHEV alternator has failed) to turn off non essential electronics (AC, stop start etc) to maximise life of remaining 12v battery charge and to get to safety before the 12v battery is fully depleted and shuts the car down completely.  I know this has sensibly been requested by a customer directly but doesn’t appear to be a priority in any way. 

Will keep pushing on this - fingers crossed it’s not a waste of effort. 

UPDATE: Timeline (Within 2 weeks since dropping the car)

I have some great news to share with everyone. With the help of a couple troopers @Mark2 and @MikeyW Both member have been more then helpful by providing me details which I requested. I built up a couple cases related to RS6's which was outside their 3 years manufacture warranty as mine also is 3 months out and the dealership tried to play that card!

Little persistent with Audi UK explaining that the 48V system has a critical flaw and the risk it can cause with it failing is detrimental. Audi UK not taking liability for replacement on the failed alternator which is part of the drivetrain is out of the question and must be pursued out of principle. 

My dealer initially did not agree with the warranty claim and told me:
1: The part number on your alternator is not covered
2: Your car 3 year warranty is expired Audi UK will not cover
3: Your car has modifications so any warranty is voided (They are wheels and exhaust)
4: Your car is not covered by the 7year drivetrain warranty
5: Audi will not cover it under goodwill

After a meeting with the service manager he ultimately agreed that Audi UK should compensate 100% on this and has put this forward to them.

I compiled a list of supporting evidence for the local dealer as proof of a major problem with the alternator:
1: Copy of Audi US letter to customers of the 7 year drivetrain warranty extension
2: Copy of the Audi Technical Information related to the failed 48V Alternator
3: Gov.UK Audi alternator recall campaigns related to other model
4: List of forum threads highlighting the 48V alternator failing with same characteristics when fail
5: 2 cases including customer name/ reg/ dealer  that was successfully claimed through the 7 year drivetrain warranty when vehicles outside the original 3 year manufacture warranty – Thanks again @Mark2 @MikeyW

With point 5 its check-mate for Audi UK to deny anything but to accept liability.

After emailing point 5 detail to my dealer yesterday I got the answer we want today:

Email from my local Audi dealer:

"Good morning

Thanks for the extra information.

Nigel has now managed to get the repair covered for you so there's nothing for you to pay!

Parts were ordered yesterday and have arrived with us today; vehicle will be going into the workshop later today for the repairs to be started and we will be looking at some point next week for it to be completed.

I'm hoping I will have a better understanding of the completion day by tomorrow so ill be in touch then.

Many thanks.

Kind regards"

Anyone with failed alternator outside their original manufacture warranty and getting the walk about please DM and I can send you over passed successful claims for you to give to your dealer for them to use against Audi UK to get approval or contact the following dealers which me and other users on this forum have used.

Dealer: Listers in Stratford on Avon. Contact: Paul Newman
Dealer: Bath Audi. Contact: Simon Gray
Dealer: Cheltenham Audi. Contact: Nigel Jacob

Great work team!
😀

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 88-RS6 said:

UPDATE: Timeline (Within 2 weeks since dropping the car)

I have some great news to share with everyone. With the help of a couple troopers @Mark2 and @MikeyW Both member have been more then helpful by providing me details which I requested. I built up a couple cases related to RS6's which was outside their 3 years manufacture warranty as mine also is 3 months out and the dealership tried to play that card!

Little persistent with Audi UK explaining that the 48V system has a critical flaw and the risk it can cause with it failing is detrimental. Audi UK not taking liability for replacement on the failed alternator which is part of the drivetrain is out of the question and must be pursued out of principle. 

My dealer initially did not agree with the warranty claim and told me:
1: The part number on your alternator is not covered
2: Your car 3 year warranty is expired Audi UK will not cover
3: Your car has modifications so any warranty is voided (They are wheels and exhaust)
4: Your car is not covered by the 7year drivetrain warranty
5: Audi will not cover it under goodwill

After a meeting with the service manager he ultimately agreed that Audi UK should compensate 100% on this and has put this forward to them.

I compiled a list of supporting evidence for the local dealer as proof of a major problem with the alternator:
1: Copy of Audi US letter to customers of the 7 year drivetrain warranty extension
2: Copy of the Audi Technical Information related to the failed 48V Alternator
3: Gov.UK Audi alternator recall campaigns related to other model
4: List of forum threads highlighting the 48V alternator failing with same characteristics when fail
5: 2 cases including customer name/ reg/ dealer  that was successfully claimed through the 7 year drivetrain warranty when vehicles outside the original 3 year manufacture warranty – Thanks again @Mark2 @MikeyW

With point 5 its check-mate for Audi UK to deny anything but to accept liability.

After emailing point 5 detail to my dealer yesterday I got the answer we want today:

Email from my local Audi dealer:

"Good morning

Thanks for the extra information.

Nigel has now managed to get the repair covered for you so there's nothing for you to pay!

Parts were ordered yesterday and have arrived with us today; vehicle will be going into the workshop later today for the repairs to be started and we will be looking at some point next week for it to be completed.

I'm hoping I will have a better understanding of the completion day by tomorrow so ill be in touch then.

Many thanks.

Kind regards"

Anyone with failed alternator outside their original manufacture warranty and getting the walk about please DM and I can send you over passed successful claims for you to give to your dealer for them to use against Audi UK to get approval or contact the following dealers which me and other users on this forum have used.

Dealer: Listers in Stratford on Avon. Contact: Paul Newman
Dealer: Bath Audi. Contact: Simon Gray
Dealer: Cheltenham Audi. Contact: Nigel Jacob

Great work team!
😀

a brilliant result - I want to call out my own experience here in terms of the dealership when I had the problem.  They were exceptional and are the reason I remain an Audi client.  Despite it often feels, the brand itself.  Listers Stratford Upon Avon...faultless and willing to go more than an extra mile and be on my side....

So glad we could help you get the resolution required.

Congrats 88-RS6 glad to hear they finally decided to do the right thing in spite of their initial efforts not to. Looks like the time you spent putting together a compelling position and the help from Mark2 and MileyW was well worth it! 

Very happy to help and glad you got the right outcome BUT it should not be an individual fight. There should be a National if not a world policy on this from Audi AG. The more I hear about their lack of customer care the more damage they are doing to the brand.

Just an update from my post yesterday, Audi have said they will pay for the new generator, however, I will need to fund the labour costs of £370.

Overall a better result than 2k but still a bit miffed there is some cost when it seems to be a common fault! Just need to try and fight for a curtesy car now. 

I think you should fight this considering there are a number of us with cars out of warranty where Audi have paid the labour. In my case they paid the recovery charges £300 plus cost of repair and labour plus a courtesy car for a week. Don’t let them off the hook.

Flabbergasted I’m writing this but in less than a month of the alternator supposedly getting fixed…I’ve broken down again with the same 48v system problem. Going to try and get the car taken to Bath rather than Bristol now as I’ve lost all faith in Bristol. I’ve got extended warranty with Audi now thankfully however this is now the 3rd time this has happened to my 2020 car. Does anyone have the MDs personal contact details for me to complain to? Surely they’ve got to listen now that there’s a manufacturing fault? Any advice of suggestions of how I can take this further is very much welcome. 

Hello! Sadly my parents 2019 Q7 was struck by this today. They are quite shook up by it to be honest. Cut out with no warning! How can a car not warn you the battery isn’t charging! My ‘72 mini has a red light FFS…

I’m going to sort this for my parents, and I’m very grateful to have found this thread. The possible cost to sort has them even more worried… 

I’ve DM’d 88-RS6.. good post from the other day… hope I can gather some info from here for when I go to the dealership on Monday… 

if anyone has something official in writing from any dealership referring to the work being done under this 7 year cover, I’d be very grateful to have a copy, to hopefully shorten the debate I foresee coming with the dealer…  

I must say, Steph’s post a few hours ago is worrying. Once this is sorted I think I’ll be helping my parents sell their Q7 😬, but I know they won’t. Dads had Audis since 1988… a the one he bought new then, an A6 2.2E Avant, went through 3 gearboxes in a few weeks, but then went on to nearly 200k miles… 

Cheers, Luke 

Hi all, quick update: we’re into week 3 of no Audi. It’s taken both Audi UK and our local Audi to come together with a “goodwill gesture”. They’ve agreed to pay approx 75% of the cost, with us having to foot the remainder. We have tried everything including sharing examples from this forum and yet neither side are budging about taking responsibility and sorting it out. 2018 Q7 and apparently not covered by the 7 year extended warranty (although they sounded surprised that we knew about this). Part is on back order however, so not 100% sure when the car will get fixed and back into our possession. 

oh and because we don’t have the extended warranty, apparently we don’t qualify for a courtesy car. Go figure!!

What you guys have shared since our debacle has helped immensely. Thank you all.

If anyone has any questions, I’m happy to answer.

@Steph1234 I’m so sorry you’re having to go through all this again so soon after getting the problem fixed. It is horrendous that it’s happened again. I’d be interested to hear what the other dealership has to say.

Steph1234 and DADSQ7 sorry to hear about these, awful - Steph 1234 you must be completely done on this issue. 

Per earlier posts I have been pushing with Which for a while now and have started emailing them every few days to try and keep the pressure up. Hopefully not a waste of time. . . 

Could I ask that some of you who are happy to share your experiences and ongoing issues send an email as follows:

To: helpwanted@which.co.uk

cc: which@which.co.uk

Subject: “Hannah Downes, Audi MHEV Alternator ”

Please reference the MHEV 48/12v alternator failure, your experience of it and the journey with the dealership, Audi UK etc. 

Mark2, Steph1234, Audi Deathtrap, MikeyW, Cally, DADSQ7, Enthusiast 07, RKaur and many more, it would be great if all of you could do this as it might help raise its profile and speed up Which’s response. Appreciate it could go nowhere but as I’m chasing every few days it may add some weight.

Very happy to help and contact Which but do we want to use the same subject or make our own subject so they are additional cases?

Thanks Mark2, good question, the subject line is how they ask for feedback so Hannah Downes is the car repair lead researcher they list as the contact for the helpwanted@which.co.uk address. They request that her name is in the Subject line (guess it makes it easier to fwd to her).

i only put Audi MHEV alternator in the subject title because of its role, but your suggestion makes good sense, I would just ensure Hannah’s name and Audi figure in the subject title. I imagine there are some to the point titles some of you can use given your experiences “Audi death trap” etc.

I am keen for Hannah to see there are plenty of real examples linked to this component failure, the limited seemingly unrelated system warnings prior as the 12v battery depletes and the risk it posed once the 12v battery was depleted, followed by a broad spectrum of experiences with the dealers and Audi UK and in your example an entirely sensible development request around a warning mechanism.

I have provided them with more info and explained there are people willing to share their experiences, I’m hoping if some of you email in this way then it’s harder to ignore lots of additional cases being raised.  I have told them I would be asking those that have experienced this to share that with them. 

It is possible they will ask for a Which member ID, if you don’t have one I would just say a which member asked you to share your experience of this issue (as that’s what I told them) and  that your considering joining / looking for a serious consumer rights champion. 

I am keen to up the pressure and get a decent consumer rights champion asking the right questions and raising its profile publicly so all help welcomed. 

I have sent my email to Which following the instructions provided. I have also written to a journalist for one of the Sunday papers who successfully resolved a previous issue of mine. I'm still waiting for some kind of update from the DVSA and have no idea how long that is likely to take. In other news the car I bought as a runaround while my Audi was in for repair was written off on Friday by a Balfour Beatty van driver. I've only had it two months. The costs of my original breakdown are just spiralling out of control.

• Sad 1

Dear David, 

Thank you for getting in touch, it’s great to hear from you. 

We’ve received your query and one of the team will be in touch shortly to help where we can. This is normally within a day or two but in busy periods this can take us a little longer but we will get back to you.

• Like 1

That’s great, thanks Audi Death Trap, I’m hopeful they will react to this. Worth a try! 

15 hours ago, Audi Death Trap said:

I have sent my email to Which following the instructions provided. I have also written to a journalist for one of the Sunday papers who successfully resolved a previous issue of mine. I'm still waiting for some kind of update from the DVSA and have no idea how long that is likely to take. In other news the car I bought as a runaround while my Audi was in for repair was written off on Friday by a Balfour Beatty van driver. I've only had it two months. The costs of my original breakdown are just spiralling out of control.

Hope you are OK from the accident - you really are not getting a break are you ?

Only just noticed the crash part of your post David, dreadful, genuinely hope you’re ok.