Alternator failure related to mild hybrid system?

PocketsAintEmptyCuh

Look after yourself, collisions are traumatic on a number of levels and the psychological effects are often overlooked compared to the physical. Hope you are feeling better soon and get a long run of no motoring issues or incidents at all, you’re certainly due that! 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2024 at 11:50 PM, RKaur said:

Hi all, quick update: we’re into week 3 of no Audi. It’s taken both Audi UK and our local Audi to come together with a “goodwill gesture”. They’ve agreed to pay approx 75% of the cost, with us having to foot the remainder. We have tried everything including sharing examples from this forum and yet neither side are budging about taking responsibility and sorting it out. 2018 Q7 and apparently not covered by the 7 year extended warranty (although they sounded surprised that we knew about this). Part is on back order however, so not 100% sure when the car will get fixed and back into our possession. 

oh and because we don’t have the extended warranty, apparently we don’t qualify for a courtesy car. Go figure!!

What you guys have shared since our debacle has helped immensely. Thank you all.

If anyone has any questions, I’m happy to answer.

@Steph1234 I’m so sorry you’re having to go through all this again so soon after getting the problem fixed. It is horrendous that it’s happened again. I’d be interested to hear what the other dealership has to say.

So sorry to hear this has happened. It makes me so angry on your behalf as I know how it feels. I have an email from Bristol Audi telling me the warranty is only on Q7s (this is a lie it’s on more models but it would help you I hope). Would you like a copy @RKaur @DADSQ7

@RSW I am off work from Wednesday so will make it a priority to email. If you want to message me your email address I can cc you in. I will also contact DVSA thank you for passing on info previously. Are you happy for me to mention you in my correspondence with them so hopefully they make links? 

I’ve taken my car to Bath now but haven’t heard back from Audi UK or Bristol yet. Intrigued to know how they’re going to rationalise 3 alternators failing on my 3.5yr old A3 with the latter only lasting a month before packing in. I’ll also be asking them for info on how many other A3s have this problem (I doubt they’ll give it to me but I’ll be trying to fight to get this model added to the 7 yr warranty list). It won’t help me but may help others in the future. I will also be asking for Andrew Doyle’s contact details to complain to him although I don’t hold out much hope. 

• Like 1

@Steph1234 the email I have used to get Andrew Doyle is - andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk

He never replies but you will get someone from Executive relations reply and then call you - or at leat that has been my experience.  I typically then cc Andrew Doyle on each email if things arent progressing!!!!

1 hour ago, Steph1234 said:

So sorry to hear this has happened. It makes me so angry on your behalf as I know how it feels. I have an email from Bristol Audi telling me the warranty is only on Q7s (this is a lie it’s on more models but it would help you I hope). Would you like a copy @RKaur @DADSQ7

@RSW I am off work from Wednesday so will make it a priority to email. If you want to message me your email address I can cc you in. I will also contact DVSA thank you for passing on info previously. Are you happy for me to mention you in my correspondence with them so hopefully they make links? 

I’ve taken my car to Bath now but haven’t heard back from Audi UK or Bristol yet. Intrigued to know how they’re going to rationalise 3 alternators failing on my 3.5yr old A3 with the latter only lasting a month before packing in. I’ll also be asking them for info on how many other A3s have this problem (I doubt they’ll give it to me but I’ll be trying to fight to get this model added to the 7 yr warranty list). It won’t help me but may help others in the future. I will also be asking for Andrew Doyle’s contact details to complain to him although I don’t hold out much hope. 

It’s ridiculous on so many levels- safety being the first. I got told that they don’t look into forums like this, but the person on the phone did sound intrigued when I was telling him of all the other Audi models around the country and which branches were potentially dealing with the SAME issue. Even then, they stuck to their guns.

i still can’t believe what you’re car has gone through- I’d be claiming the CR Act to them and getting a different car altogether.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steph1234 said:

Hi Steph, that’d be very kind of you. I’ll DM you. My dad’s Q7 is at Leicester Sytner Audi now. Obviously they won’t entertain discussing this until they’ve done their £140 diagnostics, but I’m certain it’s this issue, so I’m getting my ducks in a row… ready for battle. 

Once they capitulate I’ll get them to comment on whether they would support someone in an A3 with the issue.. hope you’re ok. 

3 hours ago, DADSQ7 said:

Hi Steph, that’d be very kind of you. I’ll DM you. My dad’s Q7 is at Leicester Sytner Audi now. Obviously they won’t entertain discussing this until they’ve done their £140 diagnostics, but I’m certain it’s this issue, so I’m getting my ducks in a row… ready for battle. 

Once they capitulate I’ll get them to comment on whether they would support someone in an A3 with the issue.. hope you’re ok. 

Sent. 
Thank you. I’m grateful to have found this group to know I’m not alone as much as I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. 

Bristol wavered the diagnostic fee in the end so fight to get the money back too!

7 hours ago, MikeyW said:

@Steph1234 the email I have used to get Andrew Doyle is - andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk

He never replies but you will get someone from Executive relations reply and then call you - or at leat that has been my experience.  I typically then cc Andrew Doyle on each email if things arent progressing!!!!

Thank you so much.  I’ll let you know if they surprise us all with a reasonable response. 

Thank you for contacting us regarding Audi's 48-volt mild hybrid alternator, which is featured in various vehicles.

I am sorry to hear of this situation and this very serious matter you raise. As you say such a matter sounds like this could easily cause harm or death, and it sounds like Audi are not listening to your complaint.

I will raise this feedback to our researchers for their awareness and consideration.

Dear Mr Fisher
Re: 43989; Audi, 48v alternator failed
DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety
Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as
amended).
The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely
to affect the safe operation of the product without warning to the user and may pose a significant
risk to the driver, occupants, and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products
that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.
I have now completed the review of your report and therefore can advise you of the outcome.
The manufacturer advise they do not have record of identical outcomes as described in your
report. They are not aware of any vehicle coming to “an immediate stop” and advise the vehicle
has a warning strategy which triggers visual and acoustic warning messages. We are advised, the
vehicle’s log confirms activation.
Though the 48V supply may be interrupted a complete loss of 12V battery supply should not then
occur and the manufacturer advise they are not aware of similar reports. Continued use may cause
deactivation of systems depending on progressive 12V battery depletion.
When 48V supply is lost the 12V supply should support secondary systems (including lighting and
steering) allowing the vehicle to carry forward, slow down and be brought to a halt. Lights and
hazard lights etc should be still active at time of incident and ‘emergency call’ available.
I note your comment of “power steering and steering lock had seized.” This is not a recognised
outcome. The 12V battery should support steering operation in the immediacy but should all power
supply be lost then the steering must remain mechanically operational as a requirement of Type
approval. However more effort may be required from the driver, but again this is within Type
Approval requirements. Our understanding is the vehicle meets full Type Approval requirements.
I further note you comment on the steering lock. This requires a direct input and is designed to
operate only after the ‘ignition’ is cycled (switched) off. Once the ‘ignition’ is recycled it is possible
the lock will not release depending on received input. Similar conditions apply to the mechanical
transmission lock which secures the vehicle against unintended roll away.
In respect of the doors, the manufacturer advises they do not automatically fully lock and
mechanical operation via the internal door handles should be possible.
DVSA acknowledges your experiences but considers the evidence at this time is insufficient to
support further action under the Code and will not be taking further action on this occasion. DVSA
will now close your case.
However, the case remains on file, and we will continue to monitor for similar reports or other
evidence and review outcomes.
While I appreciate you may be disappointed with the conclusion from DVSA and understand you
may have expected this component to be more reliable, the serviceable life of the component is
something you should address with the manufacturer. Therefore, DVSA are unable to provide any
further advice on this.

The DVSA have basically advised me that none of the things that happened to me actually did. My Audi A8 was a safe place to be and operating as it should. Maybe my failure to die was my big mistake.

Thats infuriating David, almost impossible not to become incredibly cynical about the ineptitude, intransigence and non-consumer orientated nature of some of these organisations that are supposed to protect consumers interests and safety. Utter nonsense from the DVSA 

It is clear that Audi are burying their heads and not recognising the issues. It’s just like Boeing or Fujitsu- close ranks guys in the hope this will go away. Frankly I do not know where to go from here. Flabbergasted.

3 hours ago, Audi Death Trap said:

Dear Mr Fisher
Re: 43989; Audi, 48v alternator failed
DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety
Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as
amended).
The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely
to affect the safe operation of the product without warning to the user and may pose a significant
risk to the driver, occupants, and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products
that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.
I have now completed the review of your report and therefore can advise you of the outcome.
The manufacturer advise they do not have record of identical outcomes as described in your
report. They are not aware of any vehicle coming to “an immediate stop” and advise the vehicle
has a warning strategy which triggers visual and acoustic warning messages. We are advised, the
vehicle’s log confirms activation.
Though the 48V supply may be interrupted a complete loss of 12V battery supply should not then
occur and the manufacturer advise they are not aware of similar reports. Continued use may cause
deactivation of systems depending on progressive 12V battery depletion.
When 48V supply is lost the 12V supply should support secondary systems (including lighting and
steering) allowing the vehicle to carry forward, slow down and be brought to a halt. Lights and
hazard lights etc should be still active at time of incident and ‘emergency call’ available.
I note your comment of “power steering and steering lock had seized.” This is not a recognised
outcome. The 12V battery should support steering operation in the immediacy but should all power
supply be lost then the steering must remain mechanically operational as a requirement of Type
approval. However more effort may be required from the driver, but again this is within Type
Approval requirements. Our understanding is the vehicle meets full Type Approval requirements.
I further note you comment on the steering lock. This requires a direct input and is designed to
operate only after the ‘ignition’ is cycled (switched) off. Once the ‘ignition’ is recycled it is possible
the lock will not release depending on received input. Similar conditions apply to the mechanical
transmission lock which secures the vehicle against unintended roll away.
In respect of the doors, the manufacturer advises they do not automatically fully lock and
mechanical operation via the internal door handles should be possible.
DVSA acknowledges your experiences but considers the evidence at this time is insufficient to
support further action under the Code and will not be taking further action on this occasion. DVSA
will now close your case.
However, the case remains on file, and we will continue to monitor for similar reports or other
evidence and review outcomes.
While I appreciate you may be disappointed with the conclusion from DVSA and understand you
may have expected this component to be more reliable, the serviceable life of the component is
something you should address with the manufacturer. Therefore, DVSA are unable to provide any
further advice on this.

As a response, this is BS and we can corroborate your experience with what happened to us. If you don’t mind, I’ll be writing to DVSA and will quote your reference number so they know that this isn’t a one-off.

We also have AA call logs that can confirm what happened to us as well as the AA technician who literally could not move our vehicle because the steering wheel had locked. All electrics had cut out- even the hazards, but luckily the front two doors were able to open, so I could get out and direct traffic around the car. 

How Audi UK is claiming your experience to be a one-off is beyond me; there’s several other people just in this group!

Finally picked up our car today but had a horrible feeling the whole time whilst driving it home. There will be a long period of paranoia now, not too dissimilar to when you’ve been in a car crash and dread getting back into a car again.

Please feel free to use the reference number. Even if there's a chance your life might have been endangered by the sequence of events that unfolded for you it seems it's never going to be enough. If the replacement parts also keep failing then ultimately this isn't going to end well for someone. Luckily Audi and the DVSA know this can never happen. Until it does.

Reading the response sadly but not unsurprisingly it looks like the Audi have carefully crafted responses to dodge the key issues whilst of course being legally accurate and defendable.  As one would expect the lawyers will have been all over the language used (married to one and work with a team of them in the PR group of the business I am in, so recognise the language).  They have hidden behind easy to say and defendable things like  “not aware of identical cases” “…no record of identical outcomes” not aware of … coming to an immediate stop”, “continued use may…”, “…should support”. I will have a more detailed trawl through this in coming days and offer some questions that may be useful for you David in pushing back on DVSA. 

Frustratingly predictable, this is how many big companies grind this stuff out 

1 hour ago, RSW said:

Reading the response sadly but not unsurprisingly it looks like the Audi have carefully crafted responses to dodge the key issues whilst of course being legally accurate and defendable.  As one would expect the lawyers will have been all over the language used (married to one and work with a team of them in the PR group of the business I am in, so recognise the language).  They have hidden behind easy to say and defendable things like  “not aware of identical cases” “…no record of identical outcomes” not aware of … coming to an immediate stop”, “continued use may…”, “…should support”. I will have a more detailed trawl through this in coming days and offer some questions that may be useful for you David in pushing back on DVSA. 

Frustratingly predictable, this is how many big companies grind this stuff out 

Agreed- One incidence is bad enough but multiple problems of the same type…it would be a PR nightmare for them if this got out.

thanks @Audi Death Trap will do!

Been thinking overnight that if it is possible to rig a car up with a switch which turns off the alternator charge to simulate its failure then we make a video of what actually happens the car slowly falling apart until nothing electrical works . This could be published on YouTube and we may even get a consumer rights programme to pick it up. Audi could hardly deny a visual of the problem.

Does anyone know a mechanic who could fit an alternator isolation switch?

Quick update. Leicester haven’t done a diagnostic yet… so the car hasn’t moved… 

We have however been in contact with Audi Coventry, where the Q7 was last serviced (but too far to drive to on just a charged 12v battery and a failed alternator). They brought up the car on their system and the system told her that it was “due a replacement alternator due to a faulty batch back in 2019”. 

Good to find that it’s showing up as due… but raises so many questions as to why there hasn’t been a recall! They know the cars affected, the computer says they need replacing, but Audi seem to be just waiting for them to fail… It might well be because there’s only 1 showing in stock at Audi UK… 

I’ll update as soon as Leicester pull their finger out. 

• Like 1

Evening! 

An update for you. Apparently the diagnostic tests were sent to Audi UK. They have asked the dealership to try fitting a 48v battery from a “stocked” vehicle to see if the battery is the issue. The dealership can’t carry on negotiating anything with Audi UK until they follow their instructions. However the dealership require us to provide authorisation for 6 hours technician time at £210 an hour to try the 48v battery from a random car, “to see” if that’s the issue! 

am I wrong in thinking we shouldn’t have to indemnify the dealership to “try” another battery for them to diagnose the issue? Over £1200 gamble!!! 

Ive said no so far. It makes no sense as the Coventry dealership says the car requires a replacement alternator anyway as it’s coming up on their system. 

im thinking we should just flat bed it to Coventry…. It’d cost less. 

Audi really are something else. Charging the customer as they can’t diagnose the issue… 

2 hours ago, DADSQ7 said:

Evening! 

An update for you. Apparently the diagnostic tests were sent to Audi UK. They have asked the dealership to try fitting a 48v battery from a “stocked” vehicle to see if the battery is the issue. The dealership can’t carry on negotiating anything with Audi UK until they follow their instructions. However the dealership require us to provide authorisation for 6 hours technician time at £210 an hour to try the 48v battery from a random car, “to see” if that’s the issue! 

am I wrong in thinking we shouldn’t have to indemnify the dealership to “try” another battery for them to diagnose the issue? Over £1200 gamble!!! 

Ive said no so far. It makes no sense as the Coventry dealership says the car requires a replacement alternator anyway as it’s coming up on their system. 

im thinking we should just flat bed it to Coventry…. It’d cost less. 

Audi really are something else. Charging the customer as they can’t diagnose the issue… 

That is ridiculous- I’d stick to your guns. If Audi UK have told them to try something else, surely it’s on them to foot the bill?!

• Like 1

Hi Guys, Can anyone provide any physical information confirming the extended 7 year warranty on the Alternator please, I've read tin this thread people have had this paid for and I have an A7 2019 and like many others have lost all systems and power, out of my extended warranty in June this year and audi are saying Nope no extended warranty on the alternator ?? please can anyone help ?

On 2/2/2024 at 8:55 PM, Poweller said:

Hi Liza

Audi have recently covered the cost of replacing the alternator on my 2020 S4, it was out of warranty. They refused at first and after a bit of a battle with Audi UK and the dealer, they backed down. Apparently the warranty on the alternator has been extended to 7 years as in the USA.

good luck! 

Ross 

Hi I am having the same issue, Audi are saying no extended warranty - dont suppose you have any paperwork that supports that it was done under the 'extension' please and thank you?

I was given an "extended" warranty after I'd already paid for the replacement myself. If it runs until the car is 7 years old it will run to exactly the same date as the 2 year guarantee on the replacement part. Therefore it was doubly pointless. Sorry I don't even have paperwork clarifying my own position. Welcome to the world of Audi. Prepare to get very angry. A lot.

38 minutes ago, Audi Death Trap said:

I was given an "extended" warranty after I'd already paid for the replacement myself. If it runs until the car is 7 years old it will run to exactly the same date as the 2 year guarantee on the replacement part. Therefore it was doubly pointless. Sorry I don't even have paperwork clarifying my own position. Welcome to the world of Audi. Prepare to get very angry. A lot.

I respect your proactiveness 

21 hours ago, NBAudi said:

Hi I am having the same issue, Audi are saying no extended warranty - dont suppose you have any paperwork that supports that it was done under the 'extension' please and thank you?

When I made the original post you can see the TSB in Audi USA which acknowledges this issue so maybe press with that?