Alternator failure related to mild hybrid system?

PocketsAintEmptyCuh

3 hours ago, NikHussain said:

Sorry to hear that, I was working my way up to an RS6 but now I'm not so sure.

I think we need a collective lawsuit to get justice for everyone affected.  This fault can or will have catastrophic consequences at some point.

Would be good to follow your progress.  Cheers and good luck.

Nik, now you have had the fault and know how to deal with it it is not so bad. I still love my RS6 and do not really want to part with it but have a spare alternator which I tske with me on long trips abroad just in case, so I have decided I can live with the issue.

Reported to DVSA,

reply from John Corcoran;

Thank you for your submission.

I note you from your report it is your parents’ vehicle, and you may not be the registered keeper of the vehicle. .Due to general Data Protection Regulations DVSA is only able to discuss a specific vehicle with the registered keeper. 

However, I can advise DVSA is aware of the issue and have conducted investigations with the manufacturer. Currently, there is no action in place, but we are continuing to monitor for further reports etc. I would like to add your report about your parents’ car to the monitoring (this may include releasing vehicle information to other parties/engineers etc) but to do so I would need confirmation of the registered keeper and whosoever’s permission to do so. 

Thank you

Well done. Mr Corcoran has responded to my question which he is unable to answer because he trotted out the response he had from Audi, which was probably in very guarded language. He has suggested I submit a Freedom of Information request to the DVSA for the Audi response- which I have done. Watch this space!

• Like 1

It’s funny really, as I’m not sure what GDPR has to do with it. I could own the vehicle as far as he knows. I thought GDPR was sharing or holding personal data of a person, not a piece of machinery. I must be wrong, but I’ll be having a look at that. In the meantime I’m sure my dad won’t mind giving permission. 

Just for info, i got my Alternator replaced at an independent garage, approx 1250 for OEM 48v Alternator, £250 for programming it, £350 labour and they had to remove Air Con gas apparently so i asked them to top it up full when they re-gassed it.

Total Cost to me: £1922 and car was off the road for 3x days.

Anyone know if the old one can be re-conditioned?

Regards

Nik

• Like 1

Dropped car off (made it after a 12v charge) at Audi Bolton this morning. Explained to guy problems, he seemed to know about Audi UK paying for 90% of the alternator failures, and seemed a bit disinterested with what I told him to be honest. I get that they need to diagnose themselves etc and probably hear stories all the time about what people have read on internet. Anyway wait and see what they come back with today; slightly annoyed with myself at initially clearing first faults with vagcom, but it failed completely around a week ago, so hoping fault codes reappeared. Lesson to self to never clear them going forwards.

Fingers crossed and will keep updated on progress. 

@budgie55 sound like when we dropped ours at Leicester.. yes, they need to do their own diagnostics, when they start guessing (guided fault finding) it’s more than annoying. 

Good luck, and hope for your sake the car throws the right error code for them to just get on with it. The document posted further back in this thread suggests that the dealerships can just get on with it without bothering Audi UK, but the error codes have to be just so. If not, they’ll be messing around going back and forth for weeks. 

Update: Day 2 with Bolton Audi. Call on Friday last week to say they needed car longer to get a serial number from the alternator (not convinced of this). No call today so rang them up, no fault codes for the alternator on the car (despite umpteen other warnings DC/DC inverter being one of many saying "inadequate performance" in VAGCOM). Asked me if I wanted to come and pick car up, errrr no thanks it has yellow lights saying bring in to workshop due to electrical fault, "what would you normally do to clear all the errors and fix the car"?

Unfortunately Audi UK want specific fault codes and unfortunately (my lesson learned), I cleared the codes the first time the warning came up, specific code first time around in VAGCOM was per below. Now no fault code on starter generator, so Audi UK won't replace. Anyway, going to test on the road tomorrow as I said I don't want it back until fixed..... no doubt they will break down somewhere and have to tow it back in *sigh*. Wait and see what tomorrow brings!

First error (before clearing) associated with Alternator:

Address CC: Starter-Generator (----)       Labels:* None
   Part No SW: 4N0 903 028 H    HW: 4N0 903 028 H
   Component: BSG-HP1-65    H16 0523  
   Serial number: 03081800020231
   Coding: 28000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Start48VAU651 001006
   ROD: EV_Start48VAU651_001.rod
   VCID: 303910DDCAA0AD5ABFB-8064

1 Fault Found:
21798 - 48V Electrical System
          P136C 00 [108] - Voltage too High
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 227
                    Mileage: 46772 km
                    Date: 2024.08.18
                    Time: 15:23:59

Temperatures-Temperature of processor circuit board: -50.00 °C
                    Temperatures-Stator temperature: 23.20 °C
                    Temperatures-Coolant temperature 1: 25.60 °C
                    Temperatures-Coolant temperature 2: 26.80 °C
                    Temperatures-Temperature of speed sensor: NOT-DEFINED

No error now on starter generator: 😞

Address CC: Starter-Generator (----)       Labels:* None
   Part No SW: 4N0 903 028 H    HW: 4N0 903 028 H
   Component: BSG-HP1-65    H16 0523  
   Serial number: 03081800020231
   Coding: 28000000000000
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Start48VAU651 001006
   ROD: EV_Start48VAU651_001.rod
   VCID: 303910DDCAA0AD5ABFB-8064

No fault code found.

However.... quite a few on battery regulator, CAN Bus, and DC/DC converter:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels:* None
   Part No SW: 8W5 907 468 G    HW: 8W5 907 468 G
   Component: Gateway       H43 0135  
   Revision: 8A000003    Serial number: 0388A578418724 Dataset Number: 4M0909515P  0091
   Coding: 02010001000486407396000000590032C89A0007180000000175078E10000000
   GVL: 01503C040804020042BC08000002C80011082010000000000000000000000000
   ASAM Dataset: EV_CGateCONTIAU491 003150
   ROD: EV_CGateCONTIAU491_003_AU49.rod
   VCID: 4DC76929BD52E0B2B4D-8018

Multifunction steering wheel control module:
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4M0 951 523     HW: 4M0 951 523
   Component: J453 MFL  H06 0004
   Serial number: 20180710070907 30226

Battery Monitoring Control Module:
   Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8S0 915 181 C    HW: 8S0 915 181 C
   Component: J367-BDMHella  H10 9070
   Serial number: 2628248504          

6 Faults Found:
9502726 - Battery Management 2
          C124F F0 [008] - Sequence Error during Operating Mode Selection
          [BMS_OPM_Failure]
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 14
                    Reset counter: 229
                    Date: 2024.08.19
                    Time: 14:04:11

48V activation restriction-Airbag control module: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Engine Electronics: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Roll stabilization: not active
                    48V activation restriction-48 V activation restriction due to open circuit: not active
                    48V activation restriction-48 V activation restriction due to deactivation: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Battery management 2: active
                    48V activation restriction-Voltage converter: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Auxiliary Air Heater Control Module/PTC: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Electrical compressor: not active

9502763 - Engine Control Module
          B106D F1 [008] - Sequence Error during Operating Mode Setting
          [MVK_MSG_OPS_Error]
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Date: 2024.08.20
                    Time: 08:27:24

48V activation restriction-Airbag control module: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Engine Electronics: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Roll stabilization: not active
                    48V activation restriction-48 V activation restriction due to open circuit: not active
                    48V activation restriction-48 V activation restriction due to deactivation: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Battery management 2: active
                    48V activation restriction-Voltage converter: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Auxiliary Air Heater Control Module/PTC: not active
                    48V activation restriction-Electrical compressor: not active

8526354 - Generator
          P1B01 00 [008] - Electrical Malfunction
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 13:57:50

Generator voltage: 10.6 V
                    Battery voltage: 12.020 V

8519684 - 12V Electrical System
          C11CB 01 [008] - Electrical Failure
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 08:29:19

12-Volt Vehicle electrical system: malfunction status: Stage 1

8519685 - 12V Electrical System
          C11CB 01 [008] - Electrical Failure
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 46796 km
                    Time: 18:10:14

12-Volt Vehicle electrical system: malfunction status: Stage 2

8519683 - Energy Management Active
          U140B 00 [008] - -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 6
                    Mileage: 46784 km
                    Time: 08:49:17

EM_vehicle_state: 00 00
                    Static current shut-off stage: Deactivation stage 3
                    Auxiliary heater activation restriction request-Parking heater: Permitted
                    Auxiliary heater activation restriction request-Allowed parking heater runtime: 0 min

Address 61: Battery Regul. (J1120)       Labels: 4M0-915-105.clb
   Part No SW: 4M0 915 105 B    HW: 4M0 915 105 B
   Component: BMS_48V_LiIon H06 0108  
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   ASAM Dataset: EV_BMS48VLiIonLGAU536 001001
   ROD: EV_BMS48VLiIonLGAU536_AU37.rod
   VCID: 2809F8BDF270E59A67B-807C

1 Fault Found:
32772 - DC/DC Converter
          P0A94 00 [047] - Inadequate Performance
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Time: 13:57:50

Edited by budgie55
  • Like 2

Update day 4:

They can't replace alternator either under Audi UK TSB (as noted in this thread 2 August), or under my extended warranty as the alternator is not displaying a fault code....

No fault code on the alternator (my fault from initial problem as I cleared the codes), despite them driving the car (unknown if driven until it stopped again due to no 12v battery power) faults not re-appeared. Despite 17 other faults relating to:
Engine - 2 faults voltage supply inadequate and engine failed to start (when I got the red stop asap warning and car packed in on the drive due to dead battery)
HVAC (aircon) blower output reduction due to energy management
Databus fault in central electrics
Battery regulator - DC/DC converter - inadequate performance (fault priority 2 in VAGCOM - immediate service appointment)
Steering assist - Due to insufficient voltage
All the child lock motors on rear doors flagging error codes
Can gateway - 6 faults including Battery Mgmt 2 with various 48v activation restrictions / Generator fault (electrical malfunction) / 12v electrical system - failure (stage 1 and stage2) / and Energy Management active (presume due to poor 12v battery voltage)

Not quite sure where to go from here, if alternator never flags a fault code then what do you do; clearly there is a fault creating all the other faults above. Other than to drive the car around until it fails again and hope it flags a fault code on the generator (or buy a new alternator myself).

Absolute madness, lesson to self never clear fault codes EVER AGAIN. ...... may go and drive the car round their carpark tomorrow until it packs in.

😞 

Edited by budgie55

The two earliest signs that my alternator was about to fail was the start/stop function becoming unavailable followed by the central locking locking me out then locking me in. I had to keep clicking the key fob as fast as I could whilst repeatedly pulling on the door handle. There was a good 24 hours and over 10 miles before everything else rapidly failed in succession. With that many fault codes Allan the alternator must surely be close to the end. The car park idea actually sounds sensible. What do they expect you to do?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Audi Death Trap said:

The two earliest signs that my alternator was about to fail was the start/stop function becoming unavailable followed by the central locking locking me out then locking me in. I had to keep clicking the key fob as fast as I could whilst repeatedly pulling on the door handle. There was a good 24 hours and over 10 miles before everything else rapidly failed in succession. With that many fault codes Allan the alternator must surely be close to the end. The car park idea actually sounds sensible. What do they expect you to do?

Yeah I had the stop / start fail first time around, guess that fault code cleared too. Only likely not come back on as I charged the 12v for 2 days before taking to garage. 

I have no idea what they expect me to do. I may take Friday off work and go and drive round their car park aircon on full, full beam on until it dies 😄 

I took a dump of the first faults which I cleared, before I knew of the TSB and the issues with the MHEV and the alternator. The error codes and messages are all there from the TSB, which I’ve provided to Audi Bolton. They can’t use the VAGCOM file though I guess as evidence grrrrr

2 hours ago, budgie55 said:

Update day 4:

They can't replace alternator either under Audi UK TSB (as noted in this thread 2 August), or under my extended warranty as the alternator is not displaying a fault code....

No fault code on the alternator (my fault from initial problem as I cleared the codes), despite them driving the car (unknown if driven until it stopped again due to no 12v battery power) faults not re-appeared. Despite 17 other faults relating to:
Engine - 2 faults voltage supply inadequate and engine failed to start (when I got the red stop asap warning and car packed in on the drive due to dead battery)
HVAC (aircon) blower output reduction due to energy management
Databus fault in central electrics
Battery regulator - DC/DC converter - inadequate performance (fault priority 2 in VAGCOM - immediate service appointment)
Steering assist - Due to insufficient voltage
All the child lock motors on rear doors flagging error codes
Can gateway - 6 faults including Battery Mgmt 2 with various 48v activation restrictions / Generator fault (electrical malfunction) / 12v electrical system - failure (stage 1 and stage2) / and Energy Management active (presume due to poor 12v battery voltage)

Not quite sure where to go from here, if alternator never flags a fault code then what do you do; clearly there is a fault creating all the other faults above. Other than to drive the car around until it fails again and hope it flags a fault code on the generator (or buy a new alternator myself).

Absolute madness, lesson to self never clear fault codes EVER AGAIN. ...... may go and drive the car round their carpark tomorrow until it packs in.

😞 

Hi, yes this is pretty much where we’ve got to. The AA diagnosed the alternator, Sytner Leicester Audi can’t get the same fault. 

We’re told that the data of the diagnostics is now with “the factory”, which is VW. Not had a response for nearly a week now… nearly 7 weeks in, £2,800 for a battery that didn’t need replacing paid which they won’t give back, and a car in pieces. 

We’re about to gamble and just pay for the alternator to be replaced. Risky, as if it doesn’t fix it then I’m sure Audi will abandon any further help and mean no chance of any goodwill.. 

Ruled out the battery and voltage converter, so what else could be the issue…. 

Beggars belief that they can’t work out what’s wrong within 7 weeks! 

by the way, many of the faults listed above came up on ours, the rear door child locks are one that stuck in the memory, as Audi Leicester quoted to replace them!!! Before the battery was fitted and the code cleared for a while. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DADSQ7 said:

Hi, yes this is pretty much where we’ve got to. The AA diagnosed the alternator, Sytner Leicester Audi can’t get the same fault. 

We’re told that the data of the diagnostics is now with “the factory”, which is VW. Not had a response for nearly a week now… nearly 7 weeks in, £2,800 for a battery that didn’t need replacing paid which they won’t give back, and a car in pieces. 

We’re about to gamble and just pay for the alternator to be replaced. Risky, as if it doesn’t fix it then I’m sure Audi will abandon any further help and mean no chance of any goodwill.. 

Ruled out the battery and voltage converter, so what else could be the issue…. 

Beggars belief that they can’t work out what’s wrong within 7 weeks! 

by the way, many of the faults listed above came up on ours, the rear door child locks are one that stuck in the memory, as Audi Leicester quoted to replace them!!! Before the battery was fitted and the code cleared for a while. 

So sorry to hear of your frustrations, expense and troubles. These cars nowadays are just too complex, once upon a time if your car was draining battery and failing they would either replace battery, alternator, or find what is causing the drain. Now it is just whatever the computer tells them. I mean what if the generator / alternator is faulty and doesn't log any fault code ever, do you just have a £50k plus (or more) car you simply can never drive more than 20 miles or so. Madness.

Hope you get sorted one way or another, ideally without any more cost to you!

• Like 1

I’ve used Audi extended, to be fair the guy I spoke to this morning re my issues was very helpful. Never had to use them before, car is late 2018 Q7 30k miles and I want for the all compenent cover with £250 excess, cost was £425 ish from memory. North West UK, hope that’s useful. 

Should apologise as just realised I’ve been posting on the A7 forum with my Q7 alternator woes 😄 

Edited by budgie55

On 9/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, budgie55 said:

So sorry to hear of your frustrations, expense and troubles. These cars nowadays are just too complex, once upon a time if your car was draining battery and failing they would either replace battery, alternator, or find what is causing the drain. Now it is just whatever the computer tells them. I mean what if the generator / alternator is faulty and doesn't log any fault code ever, do you just have a £50k plus (or more) car you simply can never drive more than 20 miles or so. Madness.

Hope you get sorted one way or another, ideally without any more cost to you!

So, we’ve sidestepped Audi UK. They keep procrastinating and swerving the issue, which has become a stand off. 

So, instructed dealer to replace the Starter Generator. If it doesn’t work, dunno where to turn next… 

1 hour ago, DADSQ7 said:

So, we’ve sidestepped Audi UK. They keep procrastinating and swerving the issue, which has become a stand off. 

So, instructed dealer to replace the Starter Generator. If it doesn’t work, dunno where to turn next… 

I hope it resolves the issue for you once and for all.

Not to rub salt in wounds but I've also been having fun and games, went in to dealership to confront them, ended up taking car for my own drive and as expected it died and had to get recovery back to the dealership (not my most fun day off work haha). Told them I wouldn't be taking it anywhere until they fixed it. One of their techs to be fair to him pulled out all the stops with Audi UK, using my own logs from VAGCOM with the original faults which wouldn't replicate on the starter generator, they eventually agreed to replacing it. So hoping to have it back by the end of the week or Monday next. Fingers crossed it repairs the issue.

Been quite stressful as they wouldn't even take to extended warranty without the starter generator issuing a fault code. God knows what you do if it never faults, the car would only drive 5 miles or so before dying, so would have ended up with a £30k plus car that was useless (alternative I guess would have been to take to an independent).

7 hours ago, budgie55 said:

I hope it resolves the issue for you once and for all.

Not to rub salt in wounds but I've also been having fun and games, went in to dealership to confront them, ended up taking car for my own drive and as expected it died and had to get recovery back to the dealership (not my most fun day off work haha). Told them I wouldn't be taking it anywhere until they fixed it. One of their techs to be fair to him pulled out all the stops with Audi UK, using my own logs from VAGCOM with the original faults which wouldn't replicate on the starter generator, they eventually agreed to replacing it. So hoping to have it back by the end of the week or Monday next. Fingers crossed it repairs the issue.

Been quite stressful as they wouldn't even take to extended warranty without the starter generator issuing a fault code. God knows what you do if it never faults, the car would only drive 5 miles or so before dying, so would have ended up with a £30k plus car that was useless (alternative I guess would have been to take to an independent).

That’s a result. Which dealer? 

We have our car home now. Overrode Audi UK who wanted to perform further tests, and had the alternator fitted. All issues gone, so far. Unbelievable. 

We’ll do battle with Audi UK now, and if needed be going to court. 

We have the old battery and the old alternator too. 

need to be getting a large chunk of the £6k back now. It was never the battery, so that’s half, and the alternator is the part number on the bulletin, so should be repaid that too. Utterly disgusting behaviour by Audi.. 

15 hours ago, DADSQ7 said:

That’s a result. Which dealer? 

We have our car home now. Overrode Audi UK who wanted to perform further tests, and had the alternator fitted. All issues gone, so far. Unbelievable. 

We’ll do battle with Audi UK now, and if needed be going to court. 

We have the old battery and the old alternator too. 

need to be getting a large chunk of the £6k back now. It was never the battery, so that’s half, and the alternator is the part number on the bulletin, so should be repaid that too. Utterly disgusting behaviour by Audi.. 

Great to hear that your problem is resolved. Best of luck with Audi in respect of getting some cash back. 

It was Bolton Audi which I have been dealing with. Despite initial concerns and having to go in and make a bit of a scene, once we had got through that Adam (their mechanic / tech) was very good and got it sorted (hopefully waiting for return later this week!). 

Edited by budgie55