Does Spacesaver fit in the MHEV?

Peteb1951

Martyn W

Good to hear from someone who  has actually  used the space saver on the front and confirmed it fits ok. There's a lot of anecdotal posts floating around saying it didn't 👍

1 hour ago, Martyn W said:

Hi, I have a 21 plate S-line Avant Black Edition with B&O, & running on 19" rims.

I bought the wheel & jack kit from the Wheelshop. I did have a flat on the front & the space saver fitted fine, although the jack was garbage. Binned that & bought a better quality german one from Amazon.

It all lives in a cloth bag in the cubby space under the floor just behind the back seats. 

Hi, i have a 24 plate S-line Avant Black Edition with B&O, & running on 19" rims as well

Please can you link to the wheel you purchased and the jack? is it a straight fit? do you need anything else to secure the wheel into place like he polystyrene ? a pic would aldo be great to show how it all fits toghether and where you have stored the jack, many thanks!

Hi Martyn,

I have ordered the wheel and the jack kit, although I havent received them yet. I was wondering which jack did you get, do you have a link to it please?

Peter - Do we know for sure the space-saver doesnt fit the front or is it a Chinese whisper getting around as I appreciate Martyn's is a 21 reg but do they change that much?

My Wheel & jack turned up yesterday and it was a perfect fit. The jack looked ok but I dont know much about jacks. Thanks for the Links Martyn.

I looked under to see where the jack point was but I couldnt find it, knocking the underneath almost everything sounded rather flimsy, I need to have another look with better lighting.

By the way, what is the red tool that comes with the car for?

Edited by Sean12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean12 said:

I looked under to see where the jack point was but I couldnt find it, knocking the underneath almost everything sounded rather flimsy, I need to have another look with better lighting.

There's no point having a jack and wheel if you don't know how to use them. Isn't the information printed in the car handbook? I don't know about the A4, but the A3's jacking points are just behind the front wheel arch and just before the rear wheel arch. Fot goodness sake don't jack up at the wrong locations else you will push a hole through the floor of the car and possibly injure yourself.

Haven't a clue regarding the red tool. I thought the self-same thing. Perhaps someone else on here can shed some light.

When I tried the jack, I couldn't get to grips with the floppy cranking handle - nearly ended up throwing it across the road! The one I bought from Amazon comes with a large nut on the end of the threaded rod & a ratchet handle that fits securely on the nut. Much more secure & easy to operate to raise & lower the car.

9 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

Haven't a clue regarding the red tool. I thought the self-same thing. Perhaps someone else on here can shed some light.

When I tried the jack, I couldn't get to grips with the floppy cranking handle - nearly ended up throwing it across the road! The one I bought from Amazon comes with a large nut on the end of the threaded rod & a ratchet handle that fits securely on the nut. Much more secure & easy to operate to raise & lower the car.

Red Tool is for the Auto Gearbox: 

5 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

There's no point having a jack and wheel if you don't know how to use them. Isn't the information printed in the car handbook? I don't know about the A4, but the A3's jacking points are just behind the front wheel arch and just before the rear wheel arch. Fot goodness sake don't jack up at the wrong locations else you will push a hole through the floor of the car and possibly injure yourself.

Ture! So dont worry I know how to use a jack and a wheel. Yes its in the manual somewhere and all over the net if you look for it. A lot of cars have those positions as you indicated in your post, however, in a lot of the ones that I have seen you can visually see the point under the car so its clear. I looked under my A4 and it isnt visually easy to see and knocking the usual area just returned a hollow sound but it has to be there in the usual places, so I thought I bounce it off others on this forum to get their experience on the matter, just like the spare and the jack itself and the red tool. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, thats the point of forums, and as a moderator of this forum, you shouldnt go assuming people are stupid just because they ask a question.

5 hours ago, Antec123 said:

Red Tool is for the Auto Gearbox: 

Thanks very much Antec123, good video! I am sure thats also in the manual too!

Hi Antec123,

My spare is an ET 22, not 29. This was supplied by The Wheel Shop as being the correct fitment, & I didn't have any clearance issues when I needed to use it.

Maybe this sheds some light on the rumoured non-combatibility issues reported elsewhere.

18 hours ago, Sean12 said:

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, thats the point of forums, and as a moderator of this forum, you shouldnt go assuming people are stupid just because they ask a question.

Sorry if you feel insulted, but to quote your own words "The jack looked ok but I dont know much about jacks."

5 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Sorry if you feel insulted, but to quote your own words "The jack looked ok but I dont know much about jacks."

No worries. I am no expert in jack quality, I only ever have used the various jacks that came with my cars over the years. Looking at the jack that came with the space saver, I cant really comment on its quality nor can I argue with Martyn saying it was rubbish, especially when I havent used it in anger.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:50 AM, Martyn W said:

Hi Antec123,

My spare is an ET 22, not 29. This was supplied by The Wheel Shop as being the correct fitment, & I didn't have any clearance issues when I needed to use it.

Maybe this sheds some light on the rumoured non-combatibility issues reported elsewhere.

Thanks!