Car Insurance

Hi

Just got my car insurance renewal notice. Last year £1470.12 pa this year £4166.28 pa. Been looking around for quotes best at the moment is Admiral at £2055.14. Adrian Flux was over £4k. Direct Line and The AA will not insure me. I have full no claims, no accidents, no convictions and no insurance if I can't find a better quote.

Tony

Blinking heck Tony! 
Do you think this daft hike is due to it being an electric vehicle? 
Can we take it you have trawled the comparison websites, and had quotes there? I’ve favoured the one with our ‘standy-up’ little beings over the last couple of years. 
I’ve used Darwin - a subsidiary company under the Churchill umbrella for the last two years. Might be worth a try. 
Two things with car insurance:- what is their estimate insured value of your car, and who are the actual insurers - if using a broker. I think (in caps) you may find one of the actual insurers could be Markerstudy. If so, it might be worth reading reviews before signing up to anything. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton8 said:

Hi

Just got my car insurance renewal notice. Last year £1470.12 pa this year £4166.28 pa. Been looking around for quotes best at the moment is Admiral at £2055.14. Adrian Flux was over £4k. Direct Line and The AA will not insure me. I have full no claims, no accidents, no convictions and no insurance if I can't find a better quote.

Tony

Hi this is a perfect example of the lunacy that has taken over this country's establishments, they all want to jump on the bandwagon because everything is going up, isn't it, the main problem is electric cars especially the Audis as they started getting way past spiteful with the parts prices a couple of years ago, an insurance claims assessor I get in my cab regularly told me since we left Europe there has been an increasing difficulty in getting parts at a sane price, then when you get a good price they tell you its going to be anything up to six months to get that part, what used to take a week is now six months with a clause written in to say that they can put that price up to cover any extra shipping and taxes plus the part prices are double what anyone pays in Europe , this allied to the fact that no major repairer really wants to touch them makes it even more of a problem, even the salvage yards can't get rid of them, if you research wrecked Teslers in the U.S. they get basically sold for parts.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I have got a better quote from Admiral now at £1660.52. which I will probably go for. I will have a look at Darwin though Magnet.

Tony

• Like 1

What are Admiral valuing your one year old car at Tony? 
Have you considered a separate GAP insurance to make up the difference in replacing like-for-like? 
Most insurers quoting for newly registered vehicles, will replace the vehicle like for like within the first 12 months of its life. 
After that, you are at the mercy of their valuation on a so called ‘market value’! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi 

Just tried Darwin. Very nice but wont insure me.  Admiral valued the car at 57500. I think this needs more looking into

Tony

Thanks Tony, 

Sorry, you did say Direct Line wouldn’t insure you. 

Direct Line Group, include Churchill, Darwin, Priviledge, Green Flag etc. 

The real time true cost of environmentally clean electric vehicles hey? 
Pardon my ignorance Tony, but I’m totally ill equipped to know what you would now have to pay for one of these in what I understand ( correctly/incorrectly?) is a falling market in the price of EVs. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth

Yes, Direct Line etc said that they could not insure me. Probably because of my age and the car. Also I was quite disappointed at the value of my car, it seems to have dropped quite a lot. But still, I enjoy driving it, it still turns heads as there are not many about and it is cheapish to run other than the insurance and possibly the RFL next year.

Tony 

Thanks Tony,

Not wanting to pry, but hopefully to be more reassuring for those falling into the in-between-bracket, is the ‘….because of my age…’ equate to the low of higher end!? 
Personally, I’m definitely experiencing the effect of the upper (dotage!) age influence on insurance premiums. It’s a bit like being too young again! - except premiums then decreased with age, now they increase annually. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Insurance valuation? 
EV’s do appear to be dropping in value - as are most vehicles, so it maybe worth having a look at GAP (as mentioned). It’s a relatively inexpensive cover which (independently) tops up the insurance valuation - even back to Invoice-price. 

Hi Gareth

I am definitely at the upper end of the spectrum. I have had my bus pass for 20 years. It does seem wrong that we are penalised when we get older. We do less miles, don't drive around the country side like mad, I just seem to commute backwards and forwards to the Golf Club and a on Thursdays I try to go some where like the coast or a museum. I have only done 3500 miles since last June. So, we should be quite a good risk.

Tony

Definitely a been-there-doing-it snap shot Anton, and repeating, it’s like the penalty premiums for new drivers!

I’ve got an elder brother, and I do the annual comparison site etc. trawl for him, so I get advance notice of what’s due to be coming my way. At least it minimises the surprise factor! . 
Kind regards,

Gareth.