Audi A3 8P 1.6 TDI Driver's Side Front Steering Knuckle

Hi all,

I have an Audi A3 2010 8PA 1.6TDI. Did a brake job and mistakenly overtightened one of the threads of the brake carrier causing it to partly strip! It doesn't help that the brake carrier is integrated into the steering knuckle. Not sure where to go from here 馃槥聽. The 2 options I can think of are:

1. Repair the thread - contacted Brake Caliper Refurbs who were happy to try but are asking for the part off the car so I won't be able to drive it for some time (not ideal and the garage I trust are not able to do it as they only have 1 lift)
  2. Replace the steering knuckle - I have found an aftermarket knuckle from Select Automotive for a decent price but unsure of the quality, I have asked Audi for OE price and they are charging an arm and a leg

What are your thoughts on aftermarket steering knuckles? I'm open to repairing the thread instead but hesitant to do it myself. Any help would be much appreciated!聽

Hello Syed,

Sorry to hear of your issue.聽
Audi too expensive? - understand.

Considering secondhand part -pros and cons?聽
Aftermarket - have you thoroughly investigated this route?聽

Not sure of availability of this part, but if you enter you registration number into the on-line motor factor sites - I use Parts in Motion at Exeter - then you should be able to check whether it is available. Always worth giving them a ring if you don鈥檛 see it on line.聽
Aftermarket quality? I鈥檝e favoured Febi (or their sister brand, Blue Print) in the past, and been pleased with them, so that鈥檚 my 聽brand of choice.聽
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ertdes said:

Hi all,

I have an Audi A3 2010 8PA 1.6TDI. Did a brake job and mistakenly overtightened one of the threads of the brake carrier causing it to partly strip! It doesn't help that the brake carrier is integrated into the steering knuckle. Not sure where to go from here 馃槥聽. The 2 options I can think of are:

1. Repair the thread - contacted Brake Caliper Refurbs who were happy to try but are asking for the part off the car so I won't be able to drive it for some time (not ideal and the garage I trust are not able to do it as they only have 1 lift)
  2. Replace the steering knuckle - I have found an aftermarket knuckle from Select Automotive for a decent price but unsure of the quality, I have asked Audi for OE price and they are charging an arm and a leg

What are your thoughts on aftermarket steering knuckles? I'm open to repairing the thread instead but hesitant to do it myself. Any help would be much appreciated!聽

Hi you can buy a decent Helli coil kit off of eBay for about 拢30.00 doing the jobs easy enough.

Steve.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Gareth and Steve, thanks for the responses!

Gareth, yeah I've heard Febi is a good company. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a knuckle from an aftermarket company which I have previously used or even heard of. I can only seem to find it from the place I linked or other companies on Autodoc which, like I mentioned, is only selling parts from manufacturers I have never come across before like Ridex.

Steve, I have looked at helicoiling on the forums, can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether it is safe. For day-to-day driving, I assume it is given your recommendation? There's a cheap one on eBay for 拢10-拢15 unbranded (link). Again, I assume branding does not matter when it comes to this? Should threadlocker be used as well? In all honesty, as a new DIYer, I'm scared to helicoil myself just in case I don't drill square into the hole and then ruin the whole thread.

Edited by ertdes

Suggest investigating whether a trusted local garage mat Hello coil it for you, but don鈥檛 be surprised if they decline to do the job.聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

Helicoil is more than strong enough for the job, BUT you do need to accurately centre the drill bit and keep it square, which rules out a hand held drill unless you have a fair bit of experience in using one.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses! I've opted for helicoiling as per your advice, however, have tried calling a few garages and all have them have refused to do it (no surprise there as per Gareth's advice). Would you know anyone good who would be happy to tackle the job? Time will be compensated聽of聽course.

Hello Syed,

Um! not really surprised no one wants to attempt this safety critical job.聽
Did you try the on-line factors I suggested?聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

Hi Gareth,

Euro Car Parts and GSF have no steering knuckles, unfortunately. Motor Parts Direct said that steering knuckles should be obtained from the dealer but as initially mentioned, the dealer is out of budget. That leaves me with:

1. Helicoil the thread
  2. Buying an aftermarket knuckle online from brands I am not sure about via steeringknuckle.com or Autodoc
  3. Buying a knuckle from breakers (have looked into this, many are very rusted)

I prefer helicoiling just because I know there is nothing wrong with the integrity of the knuckle itself, the issue is finding someone happy to do it.

3rd time now Syed - but we don鈥檛 give up!聽
聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Parts in Motion??聽

If you prefer Helli coiling - and I can鈥檛 argue with that- you will need to get through some shoe leather and/or telephone calls to find a garage who will do it for you. I think most will conclude they just can鈥檛 be bothered to do that for the perceived risk involved, but I guess you have to keep trying.聽
Take it you are going to remove the component - yes?聽

If so, ask around your locality for someone who does machining - say skims cylinder heads. Such an individual will be your best bet.聽
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.聽