Hi

I'm looking to purchase a new A3 35tfsi s line with the seven speed dsg gearbox.I would be interested in the members views on the dsg or would I be better with the manual.This will be my first car with a dsg & I have tried a car with this gearbox & I was pleasantly surprised. However I have read some bad reports about the dsg which has put me off should I be worried?

I would have no qualms about new DSG boxes. 25 years ago the early ones were a little troublesome when they were introduced, but nowadays they are as reliable and durable as manual gearboxes.

That's not to say they last forever, but the same applies to manuals. They will need maintenance over their lives just like manuals, but should last as long as the engine and other major car components. And of course there will be no more clutch costs.

So your decision comes down to whether you prefer the transmission to take care of itself, or you actually like to be involved in gear changing.

Personally I fail to see the attraction of repeatedly tramping on a pedal and waving a metal pole sticking out of the floor just to make the car perform its basic function of travelling from A to B, when everything else about the car such as windows, seat position, mirror position, temperature etc. is automated. The crudity of a manual gear change amongst the sophistication of all the other control functions is jarring to my way of thinking.

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 as long as the gearbox has been well serviced then it should be fine.