Dreaded P2015 inlet manifold flaps

Hi Guys. I’m at my wits end with my P2015 inlet manifold flap issue. First tried the bracket which didn’t work so replaced the whole inlet manifold with flap controller and I still have the code come on after every 3 to 4 starts? Am I missing something? Where to go next? Is some kind of adaptation required? I have VCDS.

20 hours ago, Avinash said:

Hi Guys. I’m at my wits end with my P2015 inlet manifold flap issue. First tried the bracket which didn’t work so replaced the whole inlet manifold with flap controller and I still have the code come on after every 3 to 4 starts? Am I missing something? Where to go next? Is some kind of adaptation required? I have VCDS.

Hi yes the new unit has to be adapted so that its new values can be learned, was tan aftermarket/second hand manifold?

Steve.

50 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yes the new unit has to be adapted so that its new values can be learned, was tan aftermarket/second hand manifold?

Steve.

The manifold and flap motor came together. Whilst the genuine Audi product was unaffordable, I went for a new eBay aftermarket unit which comes with 2 years warranty, thinking that I didn’t want to take a chance with a second hand unit.

i have a VCDS but no where does it give me an option to carry out adaptation of the unit. I am able to turn the flap motor on and off manually and do an overall test

Any ideas as to how to get the adaptation done and using what tool?

On 6/7/2024 at 7:08 PM, Avinash said:

The manifold and flap motor came together. Whilst the genuine Audi product was unaffordable, I went for a new EBay aftermarket unit which comes with 2 years warranty, thinking that I didn’t want to take a chance with a second hand unit.

i have a VCDS but no where does it give me an option to carry out adaptation of the unit. I am able to turn the flap motor on and off manually and do an overall test

Any ideas as to how to get the adaptation done and using what tool?

Hi should be able to do it in basic settings, but I will look at my VCDS Monday and try and work this out for you but in saying this I have not heard many glowing reports of aftermarket manifolds.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve

15 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi should be able to do it in basic settings, but I will look at my VCDS Monday and try and work this out for you but in saying this I have not heard many glowing reports of aftermarket manifolds.

Steve.

On 6/9/2024 at 12:09 PM, Avinash said:

Thanks very much Steve

Hi its all dependent on the type of engine you have, there is a setting on VCDS but I can't pin it down because I don't have your car to plug in to, therefore can you supply the information to narrow it down, also check the vacuum pipe to the unit as this can be the original problem as any loss in the air circuit will cause problems.

Steve.

Unfortunately for these all electric flaps and controllers there is no adaption so it either works or doesn’t. Save replacing the whole thing again which may or may not work, I am still unsure how to move forward.

5 hours ago, Avinash said:

Unfortunately for these all electric flaps and controllers there is no adaption so it either works or doesn’t. Save replacing the whole thing again which may or may not work, I am still unsure how to move forward.

Hi get a swirl flap delete kit, loads on the internet.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any resolution on this problem? I have just had a swirl flap motor issue develop on my 2.0tdi. I am going to strip out the inlet manifold & clean all the build up out at the weekend. I'll get the codes cleared once cleaned & put back together.

I decided against stripping it myself as it involves the movement of the fuel rail. I will persuade my mechanic to strip it & refit it but I will clean it myself to save him that awful job & I can take more time & be a bit OCD. I will post my results. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh. I ended up doing it myself, I stripped it out cleaned it & put it back together. It was very satisfying & seemed resolved.

I found that the swirl flap was sticking closed because of the carbon & after cleaning half of it,it was totally free. I cleamed the rest of it & I thought job done, issue resolved. One of the reasons why I did it was because the car was booked for the passenger air bag safety recall & I didn't want any engine warning lights whilst it was with Bradford Audi, the main dealers. Low & behold no issues reported by the technicians other than a tire close to its legal limit, which I was aware of & a corroded centre exhaust clamp.

I picked up the keys & collected the car, started the engine & there it was, the damned yellow engine warning light. They kindly plugged it back in & there it was swirl flap issue. It was cleared & 3 days later it came back on again. I may have to take the inlet manifold off again & give it a clean with mr muscle oven cleaner & then power wash all the remaining carbon off. 

I'll report my results.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I did notice after the first cleaning exercise that the arm of the motor became difficult to begin its movement to close the flap but thought nothing of it. It springs back perfectly on its own without sticking as intended every time, which was the original fault. One of the other known general faults on this part is when it springs back to the open position it can go too far & lock in position preventing the initial movement to close, thus throwing an engine warning light at start up when it goes through the checking procedure.

There's a video on YouTube showing how to fit it without removing the manifold but it's tricky & deceptively time consuming & of course you need specialy adapted, mini, ratchets to do it. As its only been 3 weeks since I took it off to do the original clean it's still fresh in my mind so I'll whip it off, apply some Mr muscle & rinse it, fit the modification & put it back on the car.

It'll have to wait until next weekend but I'll report further once complete.

Edited by FirstG

Update, 

Received the modification yesterday & fitted it. Completed the task & started the car to find engine management light was still on. 😱 I could hear the flaps being operated but the EM light stayed on.🤯😡

I gave up & went to bed!!

Started car this morning & lo & behold the EM light has gone out!!

Finally a result...

• Like 1