Hardwiring dash cam / fuse box question

Go to solution Solved by ykes,

Hi all, I'm trying to hardwire a dashcam and looking for help from someone who has done this before.
I'm not familiar with car wiring or any kind of car installation. I bought a garmin dashcam, a hardwiring kit and a circuit tester and trying to figure out how to install this on my Audi A6 C8.
I found the fuse box diagram and opened my car's passenger fusebox (see attached). As I dont know how these fuses work or what amperage I should use I'm not sure where to plug the dashcam.
I understand the fuse tap needs to be plugged onto an existing fuse with the current fuse and the camera's fuse on it. Can someone guide me where/how to install this?

Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 11.04.19.png

IMG_8797.jpg

• Solution

I paid Halfords to do mine then had to rewire it myself as they got it wrong by connecting the switched live and constant live wires both to constant live.

This meant the parking mode did not kick in as the unit did not sense power off.

Be aware when testing for switched live these circuits do not power down straight away.

I used the fuse box in the footwell near side not the higher panel, this picture should sort for you.

IMG_9274.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ykes said:

I paid Halfords to do mine then had to rewire it myself as they got it wrong by connecting the switched live and constant live wires both to constant live.

This meant the parking mode did not kick in as the unit did not sense power off.

Be aware when testing for switched live these circuits do not power down straight away.

I used the fuse box in the footwell near side not the higher panel, this picture should sort for you.

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. Which ones are the cigarette lighters? Is it the one called Sockets in 4(black).6?

The Garmin cam came only with a micro-usb cable and a usb adapter for the lighter port. I bought a hardwiring kit off Amazon with a micro-usb to connect to the camera.

image.thumb.jpeg.3b39c42ecff714a426d3cae311ee292e.jpeg

Edited by darkmetal

Hi,

The second row is perm live, the bottom row is switched live / accessory.

Not sure if yours has parking mode, so you may only need one positive connection but depends what your Garmin model is / says in the manual

If you are using piggy back connections then the 2nd fuse covers the amperage for your device.