whining noise

Hi all ,

wondering if anybody can shed any light when i get to about 40-50 mph i start to get a whining noise from thee front wheel drivers side i though it maybe wheel bearing shook the wheel but seems to be stiff no play , this has happend since it went in for brakes done i had a look at the disks they don't seem to be warn any different than usual.

cheers 

Audi a4 Avant b6 2.0ltr petrol 2002

The noise is probably the pads dragging lightly on the disc. Have the pads had a chance to bed in yet? If they have then I suspect that either the disc is warped or the caliper is not swivelling as it should. 

No Mathew, I don’t think that is the appropriate action. 
If you have only had the noise from a point where you have had ‘brake work done’, then why would you probably duplicate work already carried out. 
Can you itemise what ‘brake work’ was actually carried out? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

How many miles have you done since the pads were replaced?  EBC Pads can take up to 150 miles to bed in with normal driving.  Some other manufacturers (Brembo or Ferodo) say you should do a bedding in procedure where you break to a near stand still from 60mph three times in a row before driving another mile without touching the brakes to let them cool down. 

You may also have some pad transfer where the brakes discs have got hot, then sitting on the brake pedal at lights for example, the tiniest amount of pad material transfers to the disc, causing vibration at speed.   You can possibly clear this by doing the 60 to near standstill a few times.  It's important that you don't stop altogether, otherwise you risk transferring pad material again.

Try this before shelling out for new pads or discs.   Might help.

it was good couple of month ago since having the pads done done easy 600 mile on them. i will try the brake from 60 think first but i do alot of motoway driving so could have done this already with out realising i will try it though. ive just gotta wait for a oil breather pipe to come so i can replace that because that has totally snapped apart in to 2 spots and the only place i can find one is latvia so could be a while will keep you updated on the problem .

thanks all

• Like 1