A6 C8 Quattro Rear Tyre Scrub

Hi everyone. 

I back in an Audi A6 c8. Used to have a C5 Rs6 and a C6 Rs6. 

Anyway, when I pull away from a stand still on full lock with a bit of acceleration I get a horrible noise from the rear. It sounds like the tyres are scrubbing the tarmac. 

Some people say this is normal due to the mechanical quattro system but surely Audi can't be happy with this? 

Has anyone else experienced this? I've replaced the diff oil and fitted new tyres but the noise persists. 

An ugly characteristic?? 

Thanks 

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Known as tyre skip or tyre slip, it's far more noticeable with wider tyres fitted to modern cars.  The Ackermann (differential steering on left right wheels) angles can only do so much.

It's not just Audis that are affected.  All the cars I've had with tyres wider than 255mm do it.  My current XJR sits on 265 front and 295 at the rear.  At full lock, it sounds horrid as the tyre scrubs, skips, slips along the ground.

Ways to avoid - don't apply full lock unless you really need to.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, adam88binks said:

Thank you Rigger. This seems to be the common answer I'm getting from everyone. Appreciate you replying 

No problem fella - it's what a forum is for.

Plenty of topics under tyre skip within Google if you want some light bedside reading 😉

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=5k6WW4m7L8bHgAag-oa4Cg&btnG=Search&q=tyre+skip&oq=windy+beach+white+dress+image&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i21k1.1528.5991.0.6217.31.22.0.0.0.0.303.2367.8j3j4j1.17.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..14.16.2426.6..0j35i39k1j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i160k1.231.lHCoq8n3QO4