Dash lights after ABS sensor failure

Hi

My recent purchase has been ace to drive, then the offside rear wheel bearing decided it didn't want to have abs anymore, and promptly despatched the sensor with the magnetic ring.

Now I have a couple of lights on the dash, standard abs and traction lights which is understandable.

Also the headlight range adjuster is on and the eml with p1617 code which is a glowplug short circuit to ground.

Only things done to the car is a full service including all filters and I fitted dry induction kit.

Car hadn't been serviced since 2017.

Fuel filter was cut open and looked like it had fungus growing like the junk on diesel filters from biodiesel.

Just can't work out the p1617 code.

Cheers 

20240609_155708.jpg

What's your battery voltages like?  Newer cars are very prone to show random warning lights if the battery is slowly dying off.  2017, if that's when the battery was last changed, could - could be your problem. 

No idea about the battery, I didn't even think of checking it, however I have had it connected to my artidiag while running and it shows 13.1v.

I think I'll call into the stealers, to see about the coilpacks recall and see if it has been updated to lower the o2 sensor temperature.

I have another modification to do to it, I have the touareg pcv pipe to fit as the one in the cam cover is burping every cycle.

The chances are that the battery is faulty. Your simple voltage test is meaningless and tells you little about the battery's internal condition. If it is more than five years old it is worth replacing without further evidence or testing. I don't think it needs to be coded to the car at that age, but I am not certain so check with somebody knowledgeable.

I'll get the batt checked but I can't see it, everything was working prior to the ABS sensor breaking.

18 hours ago, Rybrook said:

No idea about the battery, I didn't even think of checking it, however I have had it connected to my artidiag while running and it shows 13.1v.

I think I'll call into the stealers, to see about the coilpacks recall and see if it has been updated to lower the o2 sensor temperature.

I have another modification to do to it, I have the touareg pcv pipe to fit as the one in the cam cover is burping every cycle.

Hi not quite getting this, you mention glow plugs and in the next breath its coil packs? if its petrol it wont have glow plugs thats probably a random code thrown up on your diagnostics.

Steve.

3 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi not quite getting this, you mention glow plugs and in the next breath its coil packs? if its petrol it wont have glow plugs thats probably a random code thrown up on your diagnostics.

Steve.

Yes the 6 coilpacks are early black ones that should have been recalled for the newer grey ones.

Anyway, the p1617 code is a glowplug sort circuit to ground fault.

It's either coincidence with the other lights or its an emissions fault  but not serious enough to put on the emissions light.

1 minute ago, Rybrook said:

Yes the 6 coilpacks are early black ones that should have been recalled for the newer grey ones.

Anyway, the p1617 code is a glowplug sort circuit to ground fault.

It's either coincidence with the other lights or its an emissions fault  but not serious enough to put on the emissions light.

Hi what I was trying to point out is your car is petrol and is not fitted with glow plugs, you can't have a valid fault code for that which doesn't exist therefore it suggests its come from a generic scanner which I have often found to be the case, whereas manufacturer specific readers are often far more accurate.

Steve.

• Like 1

Did some digging, turns out the glowplug error is something to do with the coolant temp sensor, is probably why the car is hesitant and slightly over fueling, also means I can drop the coolant too as that is also way past it's use by date.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up, I replaced the wheel bearing and abs sensor.

Lights and faults all cleared, looks like the ECU shuts off certain modules when it detects a short which causes other problems.