Constant Need for oil top up continued....

Good Evening All

Last Year i wrote about my 2011 A4 with 58K miles on the clock that required a litre of all every few hundred miles.

After having a quote from Audi for parts cost of £4K & Labour £4K i have decided to carry on.

However just recently one of the cylinders is "coaking" up the spark plug every week or so and the engime is mis-firing.

My mechanic has put new plugs and points for this cylinder but it keeps on happening.

I think it will have to be sold but i need to keep it running for a few months to save up for an A3

Does anyone have any ideas for me and my mechanic to try 

I am really fed up ... I cant believe a car with so few miles is so problematic

Thanks in advance of everyones help

Thanks for the update Adrian, and I think your summary does in fact sum it up. 
You either spend to get the situation sorted ( but certainly not an economical option in my book), or you keep adding oil as it devours it. End result-? Is where you are - so much oil around the spark plug that it can burn it off, and the plug cokes up. 
What grade oil are you using - in volume! - to top this up? 
Ask you mechanic to do some homework on a hotter spark plug than that specified. Worth investigating. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

As per a comment on the other thread, could this be happening? 

"increased amounts of carbon build up due to excessive amounts of oil being burned, chunks of carbon will get trapped in the valve seats and cause pitting which leads to the valves leaking"

Point Steve, but I think in this case it is indeed spark plug fouling - assuming that there is a temporary improvement immediately following fitting a new plug. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Adrian.

There is no magic oil, no insider knowlege, and no secret fix for your problem. To state matters bluntly, the engine is a clapped out heap of scrap iron which needs to be either repaired or replaced. It really is as simple as that. You know the cost of repair, you know the cost of the huge amounts of oil it is drinking, and you know the cost of repeatedly throwing money at a mechanic. It's time to use that knowledge to arrive at a decision on the car's fate.

I am sorry to add to your misfortune, but this problem is well known in the trade so car dealers are unlikely to offer you more than a few hundred pounds for it, no matter how good the rest of the car may be. Bear that in mind when making the decision.

Good Afternoon Everyone 

Thanks so much for your posts.

Am i in the position of either proper repair or the scrap yard ? 

I cant believe that the initial fault is so bad that i cant keep it running for a few more weeks ?

However I aloso think that it seems to be the end of the road for this car and i am thinking about taking it down to "we buy any car|"

I have have a valuation of £3,700 when i out the reg in but from what has been said it cant be worth that - do i declare it a non runner or they savvy enough when i take it to them ?

I dont want to take some money and have to pay it back.

On the other hand i cant believe it is only worth a few hundred pounds but again someone else would be faced with the same decision

Thanks again

If it's running fine noise wise and no lights on dash I wouldn't tell we buy any car of the fault. They buy to sell the car at auction so it's a risk for anyone buying it and no come back on you. 

Thanks for that Steve even though the internet says £3,600 i cant imagine they will give me that when they see it even though it looks really good.

I just dont want any comeback .. i hope that let the buyer beware principle applies to them

Hello Adrian, 

Let’s try to tread some realistic ground through this. 
WBAC is part of British Car Auctions, and this is where your car will end up if you sell it to them. 
They are trade buyers, so once they have offered an acceptable price to you and them, then there isn’t any come back. 
The £3,600 price quoted is a price to entice you to progress this  to an inspection and valuation stage, at which point they will offer you a lower price depending on its overall appearance, mileage, their knowledge of the model, it’s demand, and above all the realistic price they expect it to make at auction - less of course the profit they wish to make from the deal. 
It really is as simple as that. Beware how you answer questions, and simply state you wish to sell it, in the hope that you may get a better deal without part exchange. 
‘Worth a few hundred pounds’  can be be taken as a figure some may suggest where the buyer is fully knowledgeable about the pitfalls of that particular model year, and those who are, probably wouldn’t but it at any price! 
Presentation and first impression is king here, so invest in a good quality valet ( if you don’t do that yourself) before presenting it for valuation. Oh and make sure the oil is topped up! 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Adrian. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, APJ 123 said:

Thanks for that Steve even though the internet says £3,600 i cant imagine they will give me that when they see it even though it looks really good.

I just dont want any comeback .. i hope that let the buyer beware principle applies to them

You're welcome. I agree with Gareth there won't be any comeback.  

Good Afternoon All

The A4 "broke down"| last week and will go to the garage before driving over to we buy any car.

It is valeted and looks beautiful ... i am nervous of the questions i will face.

Should i consider selling to a breakers yard for breaking it must have parts that people.

I dont care anymore but i would like to get a decent price for the sake of my mechanic who has worked hard on it. 

I will let you know how it goes.

I have purchased an A3 which i will discuss on the appropriate thread.

Take care

3 hours ago, APJ 123 said:

Good Afternoon All

The A4 "broke down"| last week and will go to the garage before driving over to we buy any car.

It is valeted and looks beautiful ... i am nervous of the questions i will face.

Should i consider selling to a breakers yard for breaking it must have parts that people.

I dont care anymore but i would like to get a decent price for the sake of my mechanic who has worked hard on it. 

I will let you know how it goes.

I have purchased an A3 which i will discuss on the appropriate thread.

Take care

Hi Adrian don't be nervous as far as your concerned you have bought another Audi and don't need this one squeeze them for as much as you can get, we buy any car are parasites.

Steve.

• Like 1