VVT cam adjustment issue

Hi

I am having continuing problems with my camshaft timing. 
A mechanic friend changed the cambelt and cam chain for me and ever since I have an EM light fault saying cam advanced. 
He checked everything he had done. We have installed a new cam adjuster, I have just fitted a new solenoid/adjuster valve and still the EM light comes on. 
We have run out of ideas. I haven’t changed the cam position sensor but I would expect all sorts of other problems if it was that. 
HELP

2 hours ago, WhisperingAl said:

Hi

I am having continuing problems with my camshaft timing. 
A mechanic friend changed the cambelt and cam chain for me and ever since I have an EM light fault saying cam advanced. 
He checked everything he had done. We have installed a new cam adjuster, I have just fitted a new solenoid/adjuster valve and still the EM light comes on. 
We have run out of ideas. I haven’t changed the cam position sensor but I would expect all sorts of other problems if it was that. 
HELP

Hi if you have done the rest of it I would strongly suspect the cam position sensor is throwing a wobbly

Thanks for the reply.
Do you think it is possible the cam adjuster has been assembled a tooth out? 
I am not a mechanic, just thinking logically. I thought if the cam position sensor is faulty all sorts of problems would arise. 
I guess for the small amount it costs I should change it. 

2 hours ago, WhisperingAl said:

Thanks for the reply.
Do you think it is possible the cam adjuster has been assembled a tooth out? 
I am not a mechanic, just thinking logically. I thought if the cam position sensor is faulty all sorts of problems would arise. 
I guess for the small amount it costs I should change it. 

Hi if the cam timing was out I would expect the engine to run badly, if your friend has checked everything to do with the belt and chain you can only re check the cam adjuster but a tooth out would be very noticeable  thats why I am thinking sensor as if its original they can become blind and submit the wrong data.

Thanks

I have ordered a cam sensor. Waiting for it 

I will keep you posted. 
If I change components such as cam adjuster valve will the software need recalibrating?

Hi

Update to VVT problem. 
I have just received and fitted a new cam position sensor. (Why is something with just one bolt fitting still so tricky)

I have only done a few miles but the light has stayed off. When I changed the solenoid valve it came straight back after 1/2 mile so hoping for a result. 
There were a couple of small bits of metal on it which doesn’t sound good but we will see. 

Thanks for your help. I will update in a couple of weeks. 

21 hours ago, WhisperingAl said:

EM light is back after a couple of hours. 
It has to be something to do with the cam adjuster. Maybe the three oil rings. 

Hi Alan sorry for the late reply, my cab has been rammed at the rear by some lunatic in a BMW and I have been wading through the iniquities of insurance, anyway when changing anything to do with cam timing I have found it best policy to change any seals or associated parts merely to negate any problems after bolting the the thing back together, especially when age of rubber parts may be bought in to the equation.

Steve.

Yes.

I have been Googling and reading. On the cam adjuster there are three split rings like piston rings. I am wondering if the mechanic changed them. 
I will ask him. 
Nothing else left. 

• 1 month later...

I have answered this post elsewhere. 
After solenoid, cam sensor etc I became very despondent. 
I suddenly thought, the ECU remembers things. As the cam chain wore over a long period it thought this was ok. When the new chain was fitted the ECU thought it was too far advanced. 
I pulled the fuse on the ECU and waited 20 minutes, put it back and all has been well for some weeks now.