2011 A3 Knocking / spluttering

Quattro8

Hi all,

Looking for some advice with my Audi A3 - Around 2 years ago I had issues around once a month where the car would be spluttering in gear (often 4th) causing me to engage the clutch or drop a gear, as it felt like the engine was labouring despite the revs being around 2k. Another side effect of this was the engine knocking or clunking abruptly when turning the engine off. I had a new throttle body fitted and all had been well and the clunking had stopped until recently.

Current status is the car on startup is starting but the revs drop really low and the car splutters and physically jolts. Equally when shutting the engine off I’m now back to having an audible and abrupt clunk. The issues on startup and shut off are not happening every time which is causing confusion I’d say it happens 7/10 startups.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I have no lights on the dash and the car seems to drive ok once the revs have settled after a couple of minutes. The engine is a 2.0tdi with 111k on the clock 

appreciate any feedback,

BP

8 hours ago, Quattro8 said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice with my Audi A3 - Around 2 years ago I had issues around once a month where the car would be spluttering in gear (often 4th) causing me to engage the clutch or drop a gear, as it felt like the engine was labouring despite the revs being around 2k. Another side effect of this was the engine knocking or clunking abruptly when turning the engine off. I had a new throttle body fitted and all had been well and the clunking had stopped until recently.

Current status is the car on startup is starting but the revs drop really low and the car splutters and physically jolts. Equally when shutting the engine off I’m now back to having an audible and abrupt clunk. The issues on startup and shut off are not happening every time which is causing confusion I’d say it happens 7/10 startups.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I have no lights on the dash and the car seems to drive ok once the revs have settled after a couple of minutes. The engine is a 2.0tdi with 111k on the clock 

appreciate any feedback,

BP

Hi sounds like the throttle body again but could be the sensor on the pedal, best way get it plugged in and see what that throws.  up.

Steve.