Loss of Favourites in MMI

Grae

I’m sure someone has suggested this already but would it be a good idea for everyone to say which version of the MMI software they have?

As I’ve mentioned previously I’m on 4143 & after I reset it myself it has so far not lost any of my settings. 

1 hour ago, Humdrum said:

I’m sure someone has suggested this already but would it be a good idea for everyone to say which version of the MMI software they have?

As I’ve mentioned previously I’m on 4143 & after I reset it myself it has so far not lost any of my settings. 

Mine is 4142, which is the latest for a Q3 according to my dealership Southend Audi.

So got in this morning, all good. Settings are still as they were yesterday and got all my favourites. 
Just checked and my software is 4142. 

will see if this lasts or this morning was a fluke 

Humdrum / When you reset yourself - can you explain a little further.

factory reset via MMI settings correct?

but what did you do precisely on the app yourself - deleted the app and started again or logged out

then logged back in using just your Audi user name and password - not that QR method?

Thanks Dan

9 hours ago, Humdrum said:

So, as Dan has mentioned, just to be clear, is this the procedure you used to do your own Reset? This is from my Q3 manual page 230 ...

20240912_081542.thumb.jpg.2485d86fe5b6f04bb09f3f05c80254bc.jpg

Hi,

yes this is what the bulletin my Audi centre was told to do. I never used that scratch card on my key the first time the Audi guy did everything for me, but I did that reset above yesterday with the engineer guy and then re logged into everything but didn’t use the QR I just typed in the vehicle code. 
Got in my car this morning and everything is the same still which is the first overnight it hasn’t deleted all my settings etc. Will see if it’s the same tomorrow, or whether it was a fluke. 
maybe worth giving that a try if you haven’t already. If mine fails they have told me to come back and they will book my car in. 

1 hour ago, A3sportback24 said:

Humdrum / When you reset yourself - can you explain a little further.

factory reset via MMI settings correct?

but what did you do precisely on the app yourself - deleted the app and started again or logged out

then logged back in using just your Audi user name and password - not that QR method?

Thanks Dan

Yes, I just reset the MMI in settings on the car. I didn’t touch the app on my phone but I did use the login details for the app to input that information into my MMI after it reset. 

1 hour ago, JB9876 said:

So got in this morning, all good. Settings are still as they were yesterday and got all my favourites. 
Just checked and my software is 4142. 

will see if this lasts or this morning was a fluke 

This is what I did & it did take some time, which was a little nerve wracking.

So far the settings have not been reset & I haven’t been asked to login or set the car up again.

Thanks everyone, this really does help others and give them confidence and information to go to their dealerships or do their own Resets or what I call Factory Settings. It's an OK procedure, I always do it before handing in my "old" car in order to clear all personal settings, like Key user, phone IDs, contacts, Satnav destinations etc.

My dealership performed what they called "sleep mode" on the car, presumably an Engineer type thing and this "forced an update", which was not a  Factory Settings reset because my personal stuff was still all there afterwards.

In any case, it didn't work for me but had worked previously for Peter who is also at Southend Audi. They won't give me details of all that but said it was under advice from Audi. When I asked about a Factory Settings Reset, they were oddly reluctant. I'm going to do it myself anyway as they have gone a bit quiet about it all.

Mick

9 minutes ago, A3sportback24 said:

Humdrum - did you need to be parked in an area with strong LTE connectivity showing?

apologies if dumb question 

I had 2 bars on my MMI reception display when I did it.

One other thought I did have, which I've yet to try, is setting my phone up as a hotspot and connecting to that as WIFI in the settings on the car because I have better reception on my phone than the car.

This was only to access the store so I could add apps directly to the car just to try them out (Spotify etc), not a dealbreaker as I have everything I need on my phone anyway.

When I spoke to my service guy he said that likely an update had come out and my car was stuck on the old one when it got delivered and was missed. By resetting he said it will update to the new system. 

I have also turned off the car WiFi hotspot as he said that could be what’s struggling and if I have good hotspot myself he said he wouldn’t use the car one and I also had 2 LTE bars when I did the reset. 

Mick - I would definitely do the reset yourself. I did it myself just with the service guy watching and it was easy and took 5-10 minutes in total

Update

I took the car to Newcastle Audi and waited 90 at the showroom. I had no opportunity to speak with the technician. The service reception lady said it was ready and gave me the keys. I asked if it would need setting up with my acount and she said it would. To cut a long story short the MMI was even worse and would not boot up, she want and got the technician. After lots of messing about turning on and off the ignition and opening doors, I was told the battery would need to be disconnected overnight and I was sent on my way with a loan Q2. Most of an afternoon wasted and I still have to go back to collect my A3..

When I checked the car in I was told the fix was only temparory and may only last a couple of weeks

I decided to set the Q2 up with my account and set some radio favourites. This morning they were still set, maybe this Q2 has no problems, it's on version 4142. I'm not sure what my A3 is on

So tempted to reject my A3 as it is only 10 days old

Bought a new Audi S3 from Audi Newcastle 10 days ago. First day after collection the favourites , radio sat nav etc were lost. Re set and held overnight but then later in the day got in the car and same again all settings lost and radio reverts to 88.3mhz.

Mailed the salesmen who replied saying never heard of the issue … but copied in a service guy who acknowledged there seemed to be an issue on some cars, an update was due from Audi in December and as a dealer there was nothing they could do. Replied saying that was unacceptable having paid almost £50k for the car and that I would be rejecting the car. Was then asked to take the car in for a diagnostic check today which I did , waited two hours for a system reset . Left the dealer , stopped at a garage on the way home , got in the car and all settings lost, just unacceptable. I will now be rejecting the car and asking for full refund. Really disappointing as the car apart from this is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Update -

so reset my car Wednesday and got in Thursday morning and all was still there. Came home Thursday lunch and haven’t been in my car until this morning.

at first thought it had all reset again.. however my MMI screen took 1 minute to load and when it did it asked to choose my user or a new one so I clicked me as always but then it said something about configuring user settings and then the radio station changed from radio 2 to the one I left it on and all my settings were there that I had done 

so seems the reset has possibly worked for me. Will see how it goes for the next week but fingers crossed it’s resolved. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JB9876 said:

Update -

so reset my car Wednesday and got in Thursday morning and all was still there. Came home Thursday lunch and haven’t been in my car until this morning.

at first thought it had all reset again.. however my MMI screen took 1 minute to load and when it did it asked to choose my user or a new one so I clicked me as always but then it said something about configuring user settings and then the radio station changed from radio 2 to the one I left it on and all my settings were there that I had done 

so seems the reset has possibly worked for me. Will see how it goes for the next week but fingers crossed it’s resolved. 

Thanks for the update, that does sound promising. Having had a Q3 and Q2 before this troublesome one, I can tell you that the weird stall for a minute and choosing the User just happens now and then but not that often. Happened on my previous cars, seems to be an underlying quirk of the MMI but it seems to sort itself out OK.

I will be trying out the full reset like you but really busy at the moment needing the car to go here and there. 

8 hours ago, Mickscar said:

Thanks for the update, that does sound promising. Having had a Q3 and Q2 before this troublesome one, I can tell you that the weird stall for a minute and choosing the User just happens now and then but not that often. Happened on my previous cars, seems to be an underlying quirk of the MMI but it seems to sort itself out OK.

I will be trying out the full reset like you but really busy at the moment needing the car to go here and there. 

No problem, hopefully a reset will work for you aswell! Been In and out the car all day and hasn’t once reset so it’s looking hopeful! 

Update !

Got a call from Audi customer service on Friday with a fix for the issue.  We carried out a reset to factory settings over the phone and reconfigured the MMI using the code off the scratch off card.  Reconfigured the MyAudi app and Apple CarPlay following the instructions on screen.  All settings appear to be being saved.  It held out over the weekend and was OK when I went to work this morning. The most difficult bit was pairing my phone with the car.  I found the best solution was to pair it with Bluetooth and then switch to WiFi at the prompt on the screen.  So far so good, but we will see how it pans out this week.

Update.

I collected my A3 from Newcastle Audi on Friday PM after leaving it with them overnight. I reset the MMI and my phone and set off home. The phone no longer had my call history which had worked OK before the reset at the dealers.   All was fine for 3 or 4 restarts over the next few hours. Later that evening I went to put the car in the garage and there was the longer boot up and no favourites. Emailed Newcaste Audi and asked for a replacement car. Sales manager says he will call me today with my options. MMI is showning version 4143. The loan Q2 I has was 4142 and that seemed to be OK

On 9/13/2024 at 11:17 PM, Toony said:

Bought a new Audi S3 from Audi Newcastle 10 days ago. First day after collection the favourites , radio sat nav etc were lost. Re set and held overnight but then later in the day got in the car and same again all settings lost and radio reverts to 88.3mhz.

Mailed the salesmen who replied saying never heard of the issue … but copied in a service guy who acknowledged there seemed to be an issue on some cars, an update was due from Audi in December and as a dealer there was nothing they could do. Replied saying that was unacceptable having paid almost £50k for the car and that I would be rejecting the car. Was then asked to take the car in for a diagnostic check today which I did , waited two hours for a system reset . Left the dealer , stopped at a garage on the way home , got in the car and all settings lost, just unacceptable. I will now be rejecting the car and asking for full refund. Really disappointing as the car apart from this is fantastic. 

Perhaps Newcastle Audi and not applying this temporary fix correctly, they had two attempts with mine, the first one had made things worse

I reset to factory settings and used pin off the key when setting it up new and that was Wednesday. After numerous days and the car sitting I still have all my settings today. 
so seems the way forward is to reset everything to new. I’m on 4142 software though so not sure whether it’s only working on that. 
clearly the more people coming forward they are having to fix it!