Loss of Favourites in MMI

Grae

On 9/16/2024 at 11:40 AM, JB9876 said:

I reset to factory settings and used pin off the key when setting it up new and that was Wednesday. After numerous days and the car sitting I still have all my settings today. 
so seems the way forward is to reset everything to new. I’m on 4142 software though so not sure whether it’s only working on that. 
clearly the more people coming forward they are having to fix it!

Hi everyone,

I finally had some time to do a full reset as Jess above. Mine is a Q3 Sport with software level 4142.

I'm in the "Russian Roulette" period still, still holding my breath when i turn the key, but it's been well over 24 hours now, I've used the car a few times, and settings are still intact. From new the MMI had been clearing settings 2 or 3 times a day!

So yesterday I logged out of My Audi app and switched off Bluetooth on all our phones! Then I restored the car to factory default settings using the MMI Car and System Maintenance menus. After the warnings, it's a good few minutes seemingly doing nothing but it does spring to life. Mine said it had reset everything apart from Key User. I wondered if that was a problem but ignored that and pressed Restart, it was then a few more minutes with the MMI screen Black!

... it came back in the Setup program with a welcome message. Being extremely cautious about the Key User thing, I setup a Local User name. This still required me to sign into the car setup program with the email used on My Audi app, but no password, just the Vehicle code from my Audi scratch card that was supplied with the keys. A few more simple questions and it setup successfully.

Later, feeling confident, I added my phone via Bluetooth and it all setup fine and connected automatically to the car WiFi hot-spot.

I haven't setup the Key User, just seeing how it goes over the weekend.

I hope it remains stable and this story helps a few more of you.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick - so just to check. You don’t delete your mobile app or your profile from the app. You simply log back into again.

likewise you now have two users listed in the car?

3 minutes ago, A3sportback24 said:

Thanks Mick - so just to check. You don’t delete your mobile app or your profile from the app. You simply log back into again.

likewise you now have two users listed in the car?

No I didn't delete the app or my "My Audi" profile. I just made sure I logged out of the app. Just thought it best to not be connected and killed Bluetooth on the phones in case they tried to automatically connect in the middle of everything.

I set up the car so far with no Key User just local, so if I log into the app it can't connect to the car anyway. For the moment, that's OK while I test it out with just a local user

• Like 1

So far so good! The full Factory defaults reset looks to have done the trick.🤞

I am still running with just a Local User as described on my previous posts. So no Key User logged into the Car. I was a bit suspicious of doing the Key User at first, just wanted to get the car MMI stable. Tomorrow I will try logging in the Key User and switching to it. If it causes problems, at least I know I can Full Reset again and get to all good with a Local User!

• Like 1

Great news Mick! I logged into my profile and this Wednesday will be two weeks since the reset and everything has been stable. So I’m chuffed that the reset is working! 
Hope it continues to work for everyone else! 
Let me know if anyone isn’t sure on what to do and I’ll try note it down as best as I can remember 😊

• Like 1

Newcastle Audi have now advised me that the temporary fix applied to my car is now the permanent fix and there will be no December update. They have had 2 attempts at mine without success. Before I have a go myself and revert to factory settings, could someone let me know the version of the MMI software that seems to be working. Mine is currently 3A.22-233200.. Thanks

car3.jpg

1 week on - update

Hi everyone,

I carried out the fix - full reset to factory settings one week ago and set up the system again from scratch and I have had no problems with losing settings or favourites.  Mick, I have set myself up as the Key User and have had no major issues.  During the reset I used the code on the credit card they give you as part of the set up.  

I did have a small issue on Wednesday night driving home from class when the screen went blank and as it reloaded I noticed it tried to go back to default settings.  I immediately hit the soft reset button and it all loaded back up perfectly. And have had no problems since.

The only slight issue I have is that my phone does not automatically connect with the car first thing in the morning.  I have to connect it manually and then it connects automatically for the rest of the day.  I can live with that.

thanks

• Like 1

Hi everyone

After a number of phone calls finally got my Dealership to do a full reset, which I did remotely over the phone, while they did their thing on a laptop at the Dealership.

So far so good, but it's not perfect.

There are four areas that are still flaky, or just are not retained.

First is on the central display of the Virtual Cockpit, which despite my efforts to select, say consumption, as the setting, rather that date and time, will always go back to date and time.

Second is the Speed Limit warning which will not retain either, the speed threshold, or the fact that I don't want it beeping at me when I go over what the car believes is the prevailing speed limit.

Third, is that the Sonos sound settings are not always retained, annoying, but not a show stopper.

And lastly, the car will occasionally change the colour of the ambient settings, again annoying but not a show stopper.

Is anyone else experiencing similar niggles ?

Jan, sad to hear that this is Audi's permanent solution, and my software is the same as yours.

cheers  

Gordon,

If it is done on the laptop you will still have issues.  You need to do it manually and use the code off the card they give you. 

OK, yesterday morning I added my Audi Connect ID as the Key User. (After doing a Full Reset through the MMI, the car went into setup and I just initially setup a Local User which worked fine for four days keeping the settings as it should.) 

So since I added and switched to the Key User everything is still fine and settings stable plus my Sat Nav destinations from my previous Q3 automatically loaded into this car.

This is now definitely fixed and running as it did on my previous Q3. Nearly a week and I've used the car many times in and out of the area with no problems or surprises.

7 hours ago, GregDeR7 said:

1 week on - update

Hi everyone,

I carried out the fix - full reset to factory settings one week ago and set up the system again from scratch and I have had no problems with losing settings or favourites.  Mick, I have set myself up as the Key User and have had no major issues.  During the reset I used the code on the credit card they give you as part of the set up.  

I did have a small issue on Wednesday night driving home from class when the screen went blank and as it reloaded I noticed it tried to go back to default settings.  I immediately hit the soft reset button and it all loaded back up perfectly. And have had no problems since.

The only slight issue I have is that my phone does not automatically connect with the car first thing in the morning.  I have to connect it manually and then it connects automatically for the rest of the day.  I can live with that.

thanks

Yes, just to confirm, after the Full Reset I followed the Setup program which, like yours, asked the scratch card Code and my email address, but didn't need a password, maybe because I was setting up a Local user.

Yes I think they've changed the way phones connect depending on whether they are smartphones or not. It looks like it connects with Bluetooth first but if it's a Smartphone it uses the same ID to connect the phone to the car's WiFi hot-spot instead, if you give it permission. I have known mine to drop that WiFi connection and not auto re-connect, needing me to force a Bluetooth reconnection. It then seems to sort itself out again. This happened to me a couple of times weeks ago and has been OK ever since. This is regardless of the MMI settings issue.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Najdurham said:

Newcastle Audi have now advised me that the temporary fix applied to my car is now the permanent fix and there will be no December update. They have had 2 attempts at mine without success. Before I have a go myself and revert to factory settings, could someone let me know the version of the MMI software that seems to be working. Mine is currently 3A.22-233200.. Thanks

car3.jpg

The MMI software version seems to be the same as yours across all models. The overall software version is 4142 on a Q3 and 4143 on an A3, I think. Your media driver seems to be slightly later than mine here:20240923_155252.thumb.jpg.24992565f62d781f447b8ca59af0e0d2.jpg

This is my software on my Q2, it’s been two weeks for car and it’s still working great. 

The speed counter setting will reverse everyday my Audi garage told me. It’s mandatory so if you want that off you have to do it everyday unfortunately 

IMG_1041.jpeg

20 hours ago, GordonP said:

Hi everyone

After a number of phone calls finally got my Dealership to do a full reset, which I did remotely over the phone, while they did their thing on a laptop at the Dealership.

So far so good, but it's not perfect.

There are four areas that are still flaky, or just are not retained.

First is on the central display of the Virtual Cockpit, which despite my efforts to select, say consumption, as the setting, rather that date and time, will always go back to date and time.

Second is the Speed Limit warning which will not retain either, the speed threshold, or the fact that I don't want it beeping at me when I go over what the car believes is the prevailing speed limit.

Third, is that the Sonos sound settings are not always retained, annoying, but not a show stopper.

And lastly, the car will occasionally change the colour of the ambient settings, again annoying but not a show stopper.

Is anyone else experiencing similar niggles ?

Jan, sad to hear that this is Audi's permanent solution, and my software is the same as yours.

cheers  

Gordon, the speeding audible warning, as Jan says, is a setting that always resets at every ignition turn on regardless of this horrible MMI problem. There should be a hackers way around it using the Engineering Red menu but I'm not going to play with that, we have enough problems getting the MMI to do it's regular thing! 🙂

Indeed you are going to find more European cars with nanny state features whose default setting is "on" every time you start the car. 

16 hours ago, A3sportback24 said:

Quick question - can you confirm the soft reset button. 

Yes, its the manual radio on/of button on the console next to start/stop button for the engine. (Sorry no pics) Press and hold the top sector of the button only for 15 seconds and then let go.

Cheer

3 minutes ago, GregDeR7 said:

Indeed you are going to find more European cars with nanny state features whose default setting is "on" every time you start the car. 

Agreed. ☹️

Sorry, not the the direct topic of this stream, but, when it's working properly,  the MMI is quite modifiable with loads of tailoring options that hardly anybody uses. I'm going to have a look at making that audible speed warning menu item easier and quicker to get to, as a favourite or shortcut. Hopefully make it just a touch on the main screen to toggle it off, after switching on the engine.

By the way,

Now my MMI is stable and not constantly losing settings, I have set it up so that when I use the car, my physical key activates my Key User ID and all the associated MMI settings. 

When my wife uses the Q3 I have set it so that her physical key activates a Local User, and so she gets her own MMI settings such as Radio stations favourites etc. If we had electric seat positioners, those would change as well.

So, I'm glad the MMI seems to be fully working as it should.

Seems like it’s starting to work for everyone now. Great news guys! 
Glad I found this forum else I probably would have just suffered it and hated the car. 
Two weeks on and all settings remain, same as you Mick the technician set it up with the key this time where as the sales person didn’t. So it recognises my settings. 

thanks all