Loss of Favourites in MMI

Grae

So, after a week or so with no issues, other than than the odd Audi Services installation error now and again, I reckon I've discovered another bug with this MMI software.  Out of morbid curiosity I paid for a theme, thinking I'd try out the ambient lighting. Today I started the car to find that the theme had been reset to the default no theme setting.

I reckon the software issues on these 2024 cars runs deeper than a few radio favourites being lost.  I have been able to re-select my paid theme, but only time will tell how long it sticks.

Audi UK are still telling me that a proper software update is due in December to resolve the issues, which is contradictory to the factory reset supposedly being the 'fix'.

46 minutes ago, GMcD79 said:

So, after a week or so with no issues, other than than the odd Audi Services installation error now and again, I reckon I've discovered another bug with this MMI software.  Out of morbid curiosity I paid for a theme, thinking I'd try out the ambient lighting. Today I started the car to find that the theme had been reset to the default no theme setting.

I reckon the software issues on these 2024 cars runs deeper than a few radio favourites being lost.  I have been able to re-select my paid theme, but only time will tell how long it sticks.

Audi UK are still telling me that a proper software update is due in December to resolve the issues, which is contradictory to the factory reset supposedly being the 'fix'.

I bought 4 themes and have not had any issues.  Even while I was losing my radio favourites, for some odd reason the theme was retained. 

On 9/29/2024 at 9:24 AM, Skiwall said:

Actually this may be an even simpler solution than the one Audi put on there website. Simply press and hold the volume button for 20 to 30 seconds and the MMI system will hard reboot but not lose key user info etc. Would be good if someone could try to see if this simple fix works as I used the Audi website method.

I tried this; it didn't work for me. The previous two attempts by the dealer didn't work either. They have now agreed to replace the car, just waiting a date to collect it. Hopefully the Audi workaround will work on the replacement 

15 minutes ago, Najdurham said:

I tried this; it didn't work for me. The previous two attempts by the dealer didn't work either. They have now agreed to replace the car, just waiting a date to collect it. Hopefully the Audi workaround will work on the replacement 

Hi,

Do you mean you tried this soft Reset? Because that's not going to clear this problem. You need a full car reset to factory defaults which you access via the Car and System Maintenance menus. This is documented on several posts here including one of mine. Or you can see the official Audi advice here :

https://www.audi.co.uk/uk/web/en/audi-world/settings-reset.html?123

This is the same thing really. The display goes blank a couple of times for several minutes and it's important to just wait and not touch anything, the display will come back.

Good luck

Mick

41 minutes ago, Najdurham said:

Yes Mick is correct a soft reset will not fix this issue you must restore back to factory settings and reinstall your data.  You must use the code on the scratch off card they give you when you picked up the car.  It must be done manually and not on a laptop at the dealership.

Edited by GregDeR7

Just had Audi Financial Services on and for my inconvenience in regards to the MMI issue I am getting a payment of £700 ex gratia.  As the car is working now I have decided to accept it.  

There is a new software update due in December and if the car's software is not upgraded by end of January they will revisit this again.

Cheers

Hi

Whilst I agree with everyone that doing a full factory reset achieves what most of us were complaining about i.e. the loss of personalised settings, I'm beginning to believe that it's not a total solution to the software glitches with our 2024 Audi's.

For example, the loss of personalised settings on the Virtual Dashboard, I've had two Audi's with a Virtual Dashboard, and never had to reset the view in either car, my wife's A1 and my Q2. Over the last few days I'm still getting occasions when I have to reapply my Sonos Sound settings, Wifi settings aren't being retained and I've lost my access to Cubic Telecom, even though I can login via the internet and lastly any service/ application that requires my authorisation e.g. speech recognition is not being retained.

While I feel we've made great strides with Audi in resolving the issues, I still feel that there are areas that are flakey, and perhaps it's as one of the Audi Tech guys told me at the beginning of all this and that it depends on which elements of the MMI your car has access to depending on the model/ level of technology that's switched on, for example I have the full Tech pack and maybe that's why I'm experiencing these further faults ?

I completely agree with GordonP on this.  Like he has stated, there are still issues that persist / manifest after the factory reset procedure. I'm at the point now where I'm considering rejecting my car on these grounds, as become a real PITA.  I appreciate that some folks are more tolerant to these situations than others, but being in the Software industry myself, this type of thing shouldn't happen. Or at the very least it should be dealt with in a timely manner.  Certainly not months down the line when everyone is out of that 30 day return period.

Edited by GMcD79
Typi

2 hours ago, GregDeR7 said:

Yes Mick is correct a soft reset will not fix this issue you must restore back to factory settings and reinstall your data.  You must use the code on the scratch off card they give you when you picked up the car.  It must be done manually and not on a laptop at the dealership.

Just thought it worth a try as the Factory reset done by the dealer hadn’t worked. I paid off my PCP in the 14-day cooling off period so no £700 for me, however I am getting a replacement car and the refund of the car tax plus a 2-year service plan. If the new car has the issue, and I am sure it will, I'll try the factory reset myself.

Another reason I wanted to replace the car, at least a couple of time each week, when slowing for lights, a junction or in slow traffic I have found the engine cuts out. To restart I have to turn off the ignition by pressing the stop button then starting again as normal. The car is a manual. At first, I put it down to not being familiar with the car but I have never had this sort of issue on my previous two A3s. Anyone any suggestions? It’s not the stop/start as the car is still in gear, the clutch is depressed and the car is still rolling.

Gordon, GordonP and Jan,

A couple of weeks ago I was really miffed because I hadn't had time to do the Reset and everyone seemed to be fixing their cars ... But now I feel very fortunate because following my reset, mine is now working perfectly and you guys have got further niggling problems! I haven't received any compensatory offers though.😮‍💨. I hope you get your niggling problems sorted out soon.

I'm retired, but my whole working life was in IT mostly on the technical system programming side. I must say that I cannot understand why this Software fault was not picked up during what we used to call Alpha, Beta or Pilot testing ! But when the fault got through and appeared in the first production vehicles, it's even more alarming that Audi didn't jump into action immediately with an incident team and analyse and sort out the problem producing a temporary fix within a day or two. In my day, my resignation would have been demanded a number of times if my team(s) had been this poor in response.

Jan, it sounds like you've got a really troubled car there with an alarming safety issue. I hope everything works fine on your replacement vehicle.

Mick

When I parked mine this afternoon, I had the navigation map showing on the virtual cockpit. About an hour later, I started my car and drove off it was still showing the map however lots of my other settings had reverted and carplay wouldn't connect and I realised it hadn't signed me in.

Eventually I managed to sign in and got my settings back but the navigation map switched back to the time and date (as if it had saved that as my default).

I don't beleive it's normal that the it should go back to the time and date every time you start the car. Clearly something is wrong and my Mk7 Golf always remembered the what setting I had it on.

Edited by tedter77

I completely agree with @tedter77  These cars are not operating as they should.  The fact that the Virtual cockpit doesn't revert to the default clock screen all of time, but rather when the car sits for an extended period of time is not 'normal' behavior.  One of my friends owns an Audi TT 2023 and his VC settings resume on the last screen he left it on, irrespective of how long the car sits for.  We have all be sold a lemon and Audi needs to deal with this in a more timely manner, or at minimum make an official public statement.