Loss of Favourites in MMI

Grae

Graeme, thanks for all the info, it's all a bit puzzling as to why AUDI can't sort this once and for all. I mean why not make a deal for a complete solution from one of the other VW group companies and dump this inferior version?

Anyway, all the best with your new car!

4 minutes ago, Mickscar said:

it's all a bit puzzling as to why AUDI can't sort this once and for all.

Being an eternal cynic I'd say the reason is that it will cost the company money, and Audi, like all commercial companies, exists to make money. In the long term it may damage Audi's reputation, but reputation is not an entry on the company's balance sheet.

• Like 1

Sorry I've not joined with the chat over the last couple of days, but I've been in Oxford enjoying the best of our summer.

I took the opportunity to see how many times the LTE actually showed more than 3 bars, and I have to say that driving down from Cheshire to Oxford it wasn't that many !!

Even, on those rare occasions when I had nearly a full single, move a few hundred yards and you see a completely different single strength, so if Audi is basing it's entire connectivity on this premise then it would appear the UK is probably not the best market to have this as a default.

Having said all this when I did connect as soon as I went back to less than 3 bars, I was back to what, for me, is a normal day to day situation i.e. loss of all personalised settings.

Coincidently my dealership phone me up while I was away, and once again reiterated how frustrating owning a car with this niggle is. I asked them to imagine they had just spent the best part of £1.5k on a new iPhone and every morning when they switched it on everything they had stored was lost and it started in flight mode, this seemed to hit home to them, so lets see what my diagnostic day next week brings.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I have attached photos of the software versions and levels on my Q3. Might be worth you checking to see if yours are the same and report back.

It is simply astonishing that this MMI problem seems to be found across a number of Audi models including e-tron and has been around and re surfacing for a number of years. I've looked across a number of online Audi forums today, simply astonishing.

What's worse is that there doesn't seem to be an individual Audi support group working on this and us customers often rely upon Dealership technicians to try and diagnose, most of whom come up with different ideas and end up trying to completely reset from Factory defaults to no avail. I haven't yet seen a definitive successful answer to any of the problems described. Most of them seem to think the answer is to wait for the next Software update, which seems to be the common stalling tactic I'm afraid. 

20240729_144825.jpg

20240729_143646.jpg

• Like 1

This is very interesting. 

I have 4143 software version on my new a3 (collected on 23 June) - BUT exactly the same MMI software version as you.

3 hours ago, A3sportback24 said:

This is very interesting. 

I have 4143 software version on my new a3 (collected on 23 June) - BUT exactly the same MMI software version as you.

Thanks, yes a bit odd because I picked up my Q3 on 19th July but maybe 4142 is not necessarily the previous version to yours but maybe the latest specific to Q3. Who knows? Same MMI version makes sense I suppose.

Edited by Mickscar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from me as promised for this group. 

Took the a3 Sportback in today to local Audi dealer - who confirmed that there are issues with the MMI software. 

They carried out an investigation into MMI issues - in my case this was manifesting as the MMI not storing radio favourites for more than 3 days, after this it reverts to 88.3mhz. (- a random frequency). And the set up wizard then typically returns and asks to set up the system again every 3 days. 

They have confirmed the issues are with the MMI and found relevant information from Audi confirming the fault. 

The current advice from Audi to the dealer is to postpone a repair fix until this fix is due for release in December 2024.

so this is the very latest advice hot off the press today - 09 August. 

Hi Dan,

Yes that is exactly the same message as I was told a month ago, as a result of which I returned my Q3 within the 30 day period. I didn't feel I could wait until December for what is only a a "possible" solution.  My dealer at least didn't make me go through the exercise of taking it in for a day as Audi had already told them by e-mail there was no current solution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A3sportback24 said:

Update from me as promised for this group. 

Took the a3 Sportback in today to local Audi dealer - who confirmed that there are issues with the MMI software. 

They carried out an investigation into MMI issues - in my case this was manifesting as the MMI not storing radio favourites for more than 3 days, after this it reverts to 88.3mhz. (- a random frequency). And the set up wizard then typically returns and asks to set up the system again every 3 days. 

They have confirmed the issues are with the MMI and found relevant information from Audi confirming the fault. 

The current advice from Audi to the dealer is to postpone a repair fix until this fix is due for release in December 2024.

so this is the very latest advice hot off the press today - 09 August. 

Hi Dan, my Q3 was taken into Southend Audi for diagnosis last Monday and they said they experienced the problem just as I described and as we all see it. After investigation and tests they said there is a software fix which they will be applying when they will take the car in again next Monday (reason for the delay is that I really needed the car this week).

Now I am not convinced at all, but I'll let this happen just this once and I'll see what transpires. I didn't get to discuss all this with the technicians last Monday, it was just second hand feedback from the Service department assistant.  But I will get a meeting with the technician if next Monday fix doesn't work and I will insist on a written report. I'll let you know how I get on because this is at odds with your experience.

Actually mine fails sometimes more than once a day not every 3 days like yours. The longest it is stable has been 24 hours only.

• Like 1

I haven't contributed for a while but have been reading with much interest the comments you have all been posting.

My dealership (Northampton) have always told me mid-August for a fix.  Now that mid-August is fast approaching I will be contacting them on Monday for an update. I will let you know the outcome! 

If December 24 is the date given then that is unacceptable.  Are Audi still delivering A3's & Q3's with what is now a known fault?  If so, it would be interesting to know what the trading regulators would think of this.  Don't know if any of you have legal backgrounds?

I note one or two of you have rejected or are thinking of rejecting your cars under the Consumer sales Act.  I don't have use of any other cars so rejecting would cause me great inconvenience until I got an alternative sorted out.  My car is on a 4 year PCP (which I understand would be an added complication for rejecting) so if they start quoting me December for a fix I will insist my monthly payments are reduced until the issue(s) are resolved to my full satisfaction.  

Apart for this problem I really enjoy driving the car.

Just for reference from earlier post my software version is 4143 & MMI software 3A-22-233200.

• Like 1

Hi all,

A general point about all this. I'm retired, but I worked in IT all my life going way back to the 70's.

I know the MMI software must be very complex to manage and maintain, having to be able to work in and service a wide range of car models each with a wide variety of different programs/functions as well as options and add ons needing a central place for settings and adjustments plus deeper engineering functions for diagnostics etc.

I assume there is a significant sized team of software developers designing and developing sections within the MMI suite of programs. All changes must be coordinated carefully and to strict rules in order that overall stability and function is maintained when changes are made to any particular feature.

It's a fact that full and proper testing of the MMI Software has not been carried out successfully if bugs like this occur on cars rolling off the production line. However, if/when they do there surely has to be a super high priority on finding the fault and generating a temporary software "fix" to resolve the issue until the next fully stable official version of the MMI is released and automatically installed on every car out there. Practically, if the fault is not horrendous this "fix" can just be made available to those customers who find the fault and complain. This is not ideal but is how some software companies operated back in the day.

I'm guessing this is a similar situation where, to put it simply, Audi seem to have mentioned two dates for the resolution of this problem. One mid August, one December 2024. 

I would guess (hope!) that there is a possible temporary fix (August date) and a general updated MMI version (December date) planned. Front desk Service staff are probably not aware of how these things work and end up giving different versions of what's happening. Obviously this is not at all ideal to us customers.

This is just my opinion and guesswork.

Anyway, fingers crossed we get our cars sorted. Sorry if I went on a bit! 

• Like 1

Not at all Mick. I work in Corp comms for Tech businesses and your analysis is spot on - and mirrors my own experience of working with Testing practices of large global IT services providers who run huge Testing businesses offshore and at SaaS businesses. 

After telling me telling me that there would be a fix for mid-August, my dealership are now telling me there is no update as yet, with no further timescales given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowman said:

After telling me telling me that there would be a fix for mid-August, my dealership are now telling me there is no update as yet, with no further timescales given.

My car was due to go in for this "fix" two days ago but they cocked up the pick up so it's re-booked for next Wednesday.  However, given David's experience, I guess I may get a call cancelling it. This all seems to be a shambles.

I have sent a written complaint to Customer Services about the aborted pick up, but also regarding the actual MMI problem giving them full details and aspects of it. Also citing the number of widespread experiences on this forum. 

• Like 1

Hi, I have purchased a new Q3 and have the same issues re lost of radio stations and favorites, I have booked in for a technicial review on the 21/08 and will update after the diagnostic ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Peter101 said:

Hi, I have purchased a new Q3 and have the same issues re lost of radio stations and favorites, I have booked in for a technicial review on the 21/08 and will update after the diagnostic ?

Thanks Peter, (join the club 😫).

I guess your dealer is Southend Audi like me. I live nearby in Hadleigh. And that's the same day mine is going in for the supposed Fix!

46 minutes ago, Mickscar said:

Thanks Peter, (join the club 😫).

I guess your dealer is Southend Audi like me. I live nearby in Hadleigh. And that's the same day mine is going in for the supposed Fix!

Yes, that’s correct, it would be good to compare notes…. I purchased my car on 23/07 and therefore if there isn’t a solution, I may demand my money back.

Hi

I've been reading your posts and thought I'd share my latest dealings with my local Audi dealership ( Inchcape Audi Stockport ) and Audi UK.

My A3 ( 2024 facelift ) went in for investigation on the 6th and was there for two days, during which time, like everyone else, they confirmed it was a known bug, and that a " fix "was scheduled for, wait for it, possibly January 2025 !!

On being told this I contacted the sales guy who sold me the car, and the Sales Manager. At this point I must say that every email I've sent them has always had the Sales Manager copied in, but to date I've never received even an acknowledgement from him. I explained that under the Consumer Act I wanted to return the vehicle, but was meet with " we don't have a process in place " and it's not our responsibility, not exactly the customer service you'd expect.

In my case, I think the issue of return is complicated by the fact that the car was purchased through PCP, but I'm no legal expert, and didn't have the time to argue, my 30 days expired on the 11th.   

Anyway to cut a long story short, I have contacted both Audi Customer Services and Audi Financials, who have logged a complaint and are investigating the issue with a view to receiving compensation.

Appreciate that this doesn't solve our complaints, but hopefully it's a way recognising the frustrations we're all feeling.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I contacted The Motor Ombudsman to see what avenues there are to get Audi to stop selling cars with a known fault, but unfortunately there's currently no regulatory body in the UK  that we can go to.

• Like 1

Wonder if the route to go down is a financial services ombudsman instead? Given they are essentially selling finance agreements rather than cars.

Hi Everyone,

Forgive me for pitching in after the flurry of e-mails today. I've always said that each person will know what's best for them, and returning the car within the 30 day period under the Consumer Protection Act was best for me. However, it does anger me to see that some people seem to be being fobbed off by their Audi dealerships either in them saying there is no process for returning their car or for suggesting there is a fix coming and then saying "oops"  no there  isn't, or that it has been put back. Maybe I was just lucky but both my dealership and the person I spoke to in Audi Customer Services UK were very honest and supportive in enabling me to reject the car and to return it and get a full refund. So if that's what you want to do, don't be fobbed off. In essence, the process is that you have to write a simple letter or e-mail to your Audi dealership detailing the fault, how you've/they've tried to resolve it to no avail, and saying you want to reject the car and, by law, they have to engage with you, if you're within the 30 day period after purchase. Even if you are beyond that you can still go that route if you've given them a shot at fixing it to no avail. There is plenty of guidance online. Audi can no longer say it's not a known problem and it's also very clear now that putting your car into your dealership for them to look at it is fruitless as Audi themselves have consistently now acknowledged it will be the end of the year or Jan 2025 before there is a possible fix.  Sorry do forgive me again, and I don't mean to stir things up for anyone but I can't help feeling that some dealerships are relying on people just rolling over and putting up with it after having spent circa £40k. Best Wishes.

Sorry I also meant to say that what I said above should apply equally whether it was a cash purchase or PCP.