Loss of Favourites in MMI

Grae

The procedure on my MMI was carried out earlier.  So far so good.  The guy said he carried the same procedure out yesterday for another customer and to date that has been successful.

He carried out a factory reset on the MMI and was doing all sorts of other things on his laptop.  From the emails in my inbox, he has reset everything in the App ie dealership, chassis no etc etc.  I would recommend having the dealership carry out the work rather than try it yourself.  Radio favourites along with the other settings I want have been set up.  My MyAudi login was needed as well as my 4 digit pin.  We didn't use any codes from the scratch card attached to my spare key.

He said they received a Technical Bulletin from Audi earlier in the week with an explanation of what to do, so one would presume all dealerships have received this as well??  He said the issue had affected all models which have had a facelift.

I will update as too whether it has been successful or not in due course.

1 hour ago, Snowman said:

The procedure on my MMI was carried out earlier.  So far so good.  The guy said he carried the same procedure out yesterday for another customer and to date that has been successful.

He carried out a factory reset on the MMI and was doing all sorts of other things on his laptop.  From the emails in my inbox, he has reset everything in the App ie dealership, chassis no etc etc.  I would recommend having the dealership carry out the work rather than try it yourself.  Radio favourites along with the other settings I want have been set up.  My MyAudi login was needed as well as my 4 digit pin.  We didn't use any codes from the scratch card attached to my spare key.

He said they received a Technical Bulletin from Audi earlier in the week with an explanation of what to do, so one would presume all dealerships have received this as well??  He said the issue had affected all models which have had a facelift.

I will update as too whether it has been successful or not in due course.

Thanks David (Snowman),

My Q3 Sport is booked into Southend Audi next Wednesday 4th to have Peter's fix (or procedure) applied, first thing hopefully. I had told them about compensation being offered elsewhere and that seems to have focused their minds on this issue. They offered to book the car in earlier, but I need it to go here, there and everywhere until Wednesday.

Still, yours and Peter's experiences seem very promising and I've been told that the same Technician that handled Peter's Q3 will do mine. Amy (service assistant who handled Peter's issue) and Michelle from Customer Service also wish to meet with me when I drop it off.

Anyway, fingers crossed, I'll post my experience here.

Mick

38 minutes ago, Mickscar said:

Thanks David (Snowman),

My Q3 Sport is booked into Southend Audi next Wednesday 4th to have Peter's fix (or procedure) applied, first thing hopefully. I had told them about compensation being offered elsewhere and that seems to have focused their minds on this issue. They offered to book the car in earlier, but I need it to go here, there and everywhere until Wednesday.

Still, yours and Peter's experiences seem very promising and I've been told that the same Technician that handled Peter's Q3 will do mine. Amy (service assistant who handled Peter's issue) and Michelle from Customer Service also wish to meet with me when I drop it off.

Anyway, fingers crossed, I'll post my experience here.

Mick

Mick, I do hope it works for you and don’t forget to get the £150 restaurant offer, it was Michelle who offered it to me, lol !

I have been using my car over the weekend and today with no problems.  Radio favourites and other settings all being held and no resetting of MMI on ignition cycle.

Very happy so far. I will be away for a few days later this week until next Tuesday so car will be idle during this period.  Not expecting any issues with car being idle but best to be sure.  

• Like 1

Oh dear. My saga continues I'm afraid.

On Wednesday Southend Audi applied the same procedure to my car that was applied to Peter's. Mine is a Q3 Sport, Peter's is a Q3 Sport S line, I think. I had a Q3 S line last time but not this!

Anyway, my fix was OK until the next day when I found that MMI had reset overnight exactly as before. It has repeated this 3 or 4 times now, so it definitely didn't work on mine and the Service Assistant Amy said it had been performed in exactly the same way as on Peter's (not sure if it was the same technician).

Apparently, and this is third hand, they put the car into "sleep mode" which I presume is like an "engineers" mode in order to force in an update of some sort. I presume it's a temporary fix to something else. The story is that this secondary "fix" would normally be applied automatically with no problem during car down time, but something goes wrong, it's not applied and it leaves the MMI in a reset state. As I said, I got this third hand and it may be wrong or grossly over simplified. I put it here because I just wonder if anyone was told something similar.

Not sure what to do next, just pondering at the moment.

It's a pity we can't get hold of the internal Audi memo on this to review all the info first hand, but I guess that ist verboten! 

41 minutes ago, Mickscar said:

Oh dear. My saga continues I'm afraid.

On Wednesday Southend Audi applied the same procedure to my car that was applied to Peter's. Mine is a Q3 Sport, Peter's is a Q3 Sport S line, I think. I had a Q3 S line last time but not this!

Anyway, my fix was OK until the next day when I found that MMI had reset overnight exactly as before. It has repeated this 3 or 4 times now, so it definitely didn't work on mine and the Service Assistant Amy said it had been performed in exactly the same way as on Peter's (not sure if it was the same technician).

Apparently, and this is third hand, they put the car into "sleep mode" which I presume is like an "engineers" mode in order to force in an update of some sort. I presume it's a temporary fix to something else. The story is that this secondary "fix" would normally be applied automatically with no problem during car down time, but something goes wrong, it's not applied and it leaves the MMI in a reset state. As I said, I got this third hand and it may be wrong or grossly over simplified. I put it here because I just wonder if anyone was told something similar.

Not sure what to do next, just pondering at the moment.

It's a pity we can't get hold of the internal Audi memo on this to review all the info first hand, but I guess that ist verboten! 

Mick, I’m sorry, that’s very disappointing to hear, to be honest Southend Audi should be taking ownership and providing you with options / financial compensation ?

26 minutes ago, Peter101 said:

Mick, I’m sorry, that’s very disappointing to hear, to be honest Southend Audi should be taking ownership and providing you with options / financial compensation ?

I've got a couple outstanding questions/options with them, but I'm mostly getting the stock answer of "update at the end of the year". So next stop UK Customer Service ...

I’m away at the moment but my A3 was fine up until I came away on Thursday. I have no reason to suspect the issues will return after the car has been idle for a few days.

A suggestion would be to ask your contacts at Southend Audi to give Callum at Northampton Audi a call.  He carried out the fix for me.  Don’t know whether there are differences between the A3 and Q3 MMi. It might be he is doing something different?
Surely a call is worth a try?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snowman said:

I’m away at the moment but my A3 was fine up until I came away on Thursday. I have no reason to suspect the issues will return after the car has been idle for a few days.

A suggestion would be to ask your contacts at Southend Audi to give Callum at Northampton Audi a call.  He carried out the fix for me.  Don’t know whether there are differences between the A3 and Q3 MMi. It might be he is doing something different?
Surely a call is worth a try?

Thanks mate. I'll tell them on Monday. Give them something to do for the week!

Hi All,

I've just joined to add my initial problems with the MMI.

I got my A3 Black Edition facelift model delivered last Monday and had the same issues as you all seem to be having - every time I came back to the car it wanted me to login again, it was set to a random radio station & the privacy and personal settings weren't being stored.

After a few frustrating journeys I decided to reset the MMI in the settings which took a while & was pretty nerve wracking; when I first set the car up after delivery I used the code from the scratch card that came with the keys & the QR code thing, so after the reset I decided to try using the My Audi login details instead and so far (touch wood) everything is working as it should and the various settings are stored.

I'm not sure if that helps anyone but I thought I'd share. The only thing I've done differently is not using wireless CarPlay, switching off wireless charging as it makes my phone ridiculously hot & I've also updated the map.

Interestingly my MMI software is on 4143 which seems to be the one people are having a bit more joy with & where I set the car up had 2 bars on the LTE display if that helps!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Humdrum said:

Hi All,

I've just joined to add my initial problems with the MMI.

I got my A3 Black Edition facelift model delivered last Monday and had the same issues as you all seem to be having - every time I came back to the car it wanted me to login again, it was set to a random radio station & the privacy and personal settings weren't being stored.

After a few frustrating journeys I decided to reset the MMI in the settings which took a while & was pretty nerve wracking; when I first set the car up after delivery I used the code from the scratch card that came with the keys & the QR code thing, so after the reset I decided to try using the My Audi login details instead and so far (touch wood) everything is working as it should and the various settings are stored.

I'm not sure if that helps anyone but I thought I'd share. The only thing I've done differently is not using wireless CarPlay, switching off wireless charging as it makes my phone ridiculously hot & I've also updated the map.

Interestingly my MMI software is on 4143 which seems to be the one people are having a bit more joy with & where I set the car up had 2 bars on the LTE display if that helps!

Thanks Guy, that's very interesting. We're all slightly different, some A3 some Q3 and with different models and options but mostly frustrated, with some lucky ones managing to have had success with a deep reset and special procedure by their dealership.

Mine didn't work at Southend Audi and I'm running out of energy and enthusiasm, but being a retired Technical IT person I'm keen to understand what's going on because it is a purely software issue. I'm going to ask my dealership if I can take a look at their advice memo from central Audi support on this known problem. But I think they'll decline even if I offer to sign a Non-disclosure Agreement!

On the car Setup program my "My Audi" login doesn't work, stopping with what it calls a "Technical Error". This happens either with a QR scan or a direct login on the touch screen. The dealership seem to think this doesn't matter as they set it up with a scratchcard but ...

My Q3 loses settings about every 24 hours, but sometimes randomly a couple of times a day.

Oddly, on the Bank Holiday weekend recently I had no MMI loss of settings for 3 days!, having done nothing special at all and we were at home but using the car ... then it all went t up again, back to the 24 hour cycle.

At home the car has a poor signal on both the car LTE (1 or no bars) and my own mobile phone. Some places around here have no signal!

Mick

Took delivery of my A3 S LIne on 2 September. I have this issue too. I have told the dealer Newcastle Audi I will consider rejecting the car if it is not sorted quickly. Hopefully there are aware of the Audi technical buleting with the possible fix

Really interesting reading this thread. I bought a brand new Q2 in May and had exactly the same issues with the MMI. The dealership couldn’t fix the issues so I rejected the car and had a brand new replacement sent over from Germany in July. Frustratingly this car then had the same issues ! Audi said they hoped for a fix around December but I rejected this second car as there was no way I was paying close to 40K for something that didn’t work properly. I also didn’t trust that a fix would be available in December or that it would work. The fact that Audi continue to sell these cars whilst they know there are issues is alarm bells for me and my whole new car buying experience has been ruined. I’ve got a refund and will be buying a different brand car now.

Fascinating to hear how this issue has developed since I originally started this topic here back in early July. Also interesting to hear of someone else who successfully rejected and returned their car and got a refund, as I did. 

As a clear 2 months have now passed since the topic began it might be good to get an update from people who have joined in here.

1. Has anyone else successfully rejected and returned their car?

2. How many people have successfully had a fix applied to their car?

3. How many people are still living with the issue unsolved?

Just if people can be bothered, but there might be some good learning points for each other and for others.

Graeme

Arrived home this morning from a short break and just used my A3 to go to the shops.  Car had been idle since last Wednesday.  On start up I had no problems with Mmi reset or losing of settings.  I am now of the opinion the procedure carried out by Northampton Audi has been a success.  I will wait until the end of the week and then email the dealership and 'sign off' my car.  I will still be pursuing VWFS for compensation.  

@Snowman what solution did your Audi use? I’m taking my car in tomorrow to give them an earful as they made me out to be going ‘crazy’ that the MMI was deleting my settings and now I’ve found this forum that clearly isn’t the case… sometimes my car is fine and sometimes it isn’t. But we don’t pay this money for a car to not work… 

I've tried to get my dealership ( Stockport Audi ) to apply the fixed used by Southend Audi, but they totally refused to entertain the idea and cancelled my appointment the afternoon before it was due to go in.

I pointed out that Southend and themselves were now part of Group 1, and that perhaps they should adopt the same level of customer service, but it fell on deaf ears !!

As well as logging a complaint with Audi Customer Services & Audi Financials, I've now added Group 1 to list.

Still living with the issue, and now treat it as a joke whenever I get in the car to see which, if any, of my changes have been retained.

I've also discovered that changes I made to the sound settings within Sonos aren't being retained.

It's a shame that there isn't a National Body that will take up the case with Audi, rather than us being lone voices.

Mine booked in to Newcastle Audi on Thursday to have the "temporary" fix applied. I was also told the permanent fix will ne available in December. I will report my finding. So tempted to reject the car if the temp fix does not work but don'r want to levae myself without a car. If I keep it I will be contacting Audi Customer Service re compensation

They had received a Technical Bulletin from Audi and he was following their instruction.  In the car he carried out a factory reset via the MMI and also reset everything in the MyAudi App via his laptop whilst the factory reset was ongoing.  All I needed was my MyAudi login and 4 digit pin.  No scratch cards with codes were used.  If your dealership is unsure, then I suggest they contact Callum at Northampton Audi.  Procedure took around 45mins.  

I wasn't aware of Callum installing any software but as our cars have embedded SIM cards could software be installed remotely and this reset procedure is what actually installs the fix? Perhaps some of you better qualified than me are able to answer that?

• Thanks 1

I contacted "What Car " magazine to see whether they were interested in our recent plight. The Editor replied below so if anyone is motivated to do so, this would be one way to give Audi some feedback.

"Thank you for your email, and I'm very sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. 

Sadly, we don't have enough resource to investigate all of the car faults we're told about. However, we'll be publishing the results of our annual Reliability Survey later this month, and that should hopefully highlight any widespread problems. 

In addition, while next year's survey hasn't opened yet, when it does, I'd be grateful if you could take the time to fill it in. If we are able to report enough faults via the survey, you can be sure Audi will take notice. 

Kind regards, 

Steve"

Been to my Audi garage today, they had a bulletin with issues of radio settings etc disappearing when you start the engine again. 
All the engineer guy did was factory reset my MMI.. now I know this has been put in the chat so I’m not holding out much hope that it’s finally fixed.. but I will see tomorrow when I get in the car if it reverts back to new again. Fingers crossed it really was something simple.. otherwise they said they will book the car in and look at it. Will keep you posted 

1 hour ago, JB9876 said:

Been to my Audi garage today, they had a bulletin with issues of radio settings etc disappearing when you start the engine again. 
All the engineer guy did was factory reset my MMI.. now I know this has been put in the chat so I’m not holding out much hope that it’s finally fixed.. but I will see tomorrow when I get in the car if it reverts back to new again. Fingers crossed it really was something simple.. otherwise they said they will book the car in and look at it. Will keep you posted 

Thanks. We all seem to have slightly different stories across the models and slightly different fixes, some work some don't. Earlier on in this debacle Peter had a procedure on his Q3 s line that worked. He and I have the same dealership and they performed the same procedure on my Q3, but mine still has the problem! I don't think either of ours had an MMI factory reset. 

Anyway, Southend Audi have now gone quiet about mine but I would like them to try a Reset, also completely kill my My Audi account and set up a new one from scratch and connect it to my reset car.

It's annoying that it's now a known problem within Audi but we the customers don't have any straight answers or reliable temporary fixes. Just a "reassurance" that it will be fixed in December's MMI software update.

I'd like to see these bulletins or memos, just to get a good idea about what's going on ...

Yes I agree, I said to them today I’m not happy this is clearly an issue you know about but aren’t telling future customers.. 

I did see the bulletin on his iPad and it did state just to do this reset which was super easy and took no more than 5 minutes. So I’m sceptical about it working but I shall see tomorrow morning when k get in my car if it’s lost all my favourites again!

will come back to you all, my garage made no mention of a December update just said this bulletin sent out 2nd September was the fix… so not sure what’s going on to be honest. 

keep you all posted tomorrow on how mines going!