Used A4 with long list of services but could be a steal?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a used 2017-2020 A4. I found this one 2017 A4 with 70K miles that has had a plethora of fixes that should not happen at the given miles they happened, i.e., camshaft replaced, turbo replaced, valve gaskets replaced. Leads me to believe the prior owner either didn't change the oil soon enough or it had.an oil leak and the car just went haywire. I could be completely wrong with that assessment. In any case, the car has the 252HP engine and is going for $15,500 which could be a steal given all the new parts it has had.  

Car Fax:  https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/pXLquUmT-lONhRslvZlUOrBn37H1adTLnYG2o3mqIlJ2_j8RxV2Ox_PCiqwQ3bda9pcJMyEAi5_8lO9BVrUKZmLE-JHulzHxcxQ

The cliff notes:
20K miles Water Pump Replaced. Thermostat Housing/Gasket replaced
42K miles Camshaft replaced. Timing Chain tensioner seal replaced, Radio/Sound system repaired, Valve cover(s) replaced, Valve Gasket replaced
66K miles Turbocharger replaced/repaired

My question is, could this be a steal because of all the new parts or is it a ticking time bomb for the next problem to arise. All serves were done at Audi and looks like the owner didn't spare any expense. Curious the forums thoughts especially anyone with mechanical knowledge. Thank you!

Welcome Jonathan, and thanks for joining. 
For what it means:- 

If I was in the market for this model, I was steer a wide berth around this particular example - at any price! 
It might have got a pedigree, but I would not want the risk of it biting me - or my wallet. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Welcome Jonathan, and thanks for joining. 
For what it means:- 

If I was in the market for this model, I was steer a wide berth around this particular example - at any price! 
It might have got a pedigree, but I would not want the risk of it biting me - or my wallet. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

100% this!!  Sounds cheap for a reason. I'd avoid like the plague!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Still pondering on this Jonathan? 

Hi Gareth I dont think its what he wanted to hear, if you look at all the American reviews on Audi at the moment they are encouraging potential buyers away from the brand and thats the cars with probable good service records, the residual values of Audi are dropping like a stone and thats for good cars, let alone this particular item, the American market views them as an overpriced money pit.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Very interesting and enlightening background. 
So it seems my off putting comments ( for this particular example) would be inline with a current ‘knock the brand’ view in the States-? 

A hello again Jonathan,

I can see you have returned to the forum a few hours ago, but are not commenting on the opinion you have received to date. Apologies if my, Steve Q’s and Allan’s offputting views, were not what you were hoping for, and of course, the only view that really matters is the one that you hold - hence my interest in how you now feel about its purchase. 
Perhaps you could let us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/11/2024 at 8:42 AM, Magnet said:

Thanks Steve,

Very interesting and enlightening background. 
So it seems my off putting comments ( for this particular example) would be inline with a current ‘knock the brand’ view in the States-? 

A hello again Jonathan,

I can see you have returned to the forum a few hours ago, but are not commenting on the opinion you have received to date. Apologies if my, Steve Q’s and Allan’s offputting views, were not what you were hoping for, and of course, the only view that really matters is the one that you hold - hence my interest in how you now feel about its purchase. 
Perhaps you could let us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth just go on YouTube to get a taster of the American view, I cite the top cars not to buy Audi, Mazda and a lot of American models including any Ford with an Ecoboost engine, one site was having a go about A6/A8 saying that when they reach a 100k they start to fall apart oil leaks mostly and I can totally concur with that as a fact, I think owners of the older models got the better deal.

Steve.

American YouTube car reviews tend to be very heavily biased towards US manufacturers.  They cite that European car brands to too tech heavy, and thats why they tend to break down.  US car brands for us are seen to be slush mobiles, that can't corner and have to tech to speak of.  Thats the outlying consensus, though Corvettes are proving that story wrong.

If you want to get a more realistic view, check out the JD power surveys.

We weren't trying to put you off Audi, more that one example.  Audi are as reliable as any brand out there.  Even UK manufacturers had to raise their game, otherwise go bust.

I've only been an Audi owner for a few years, but my first - a A4 Avant B8.5 was near ten years old, and still look fresh underneath.  My Jag is a few years younger, but having to consider getting undersealed to protect it more.

I'm sure there are better examples that the one you gave.  A bit of searching and willingness to travel within the UK should see you a car that has none of a bad history and within your budget.

45 minutes ago, Rigger said:

American YouTube car reviews tend to be very heavily biased towards US manufacturers.  They cite that European car brands to too tech heavy, and thats why they tend to break down.  US car brands for us are seen to be slush mobiles, that can't corner and have to tech to speak of.  Thats the outlying consensus, though Corvettes are proving that story wrong.

If you want to get a more realistic view, check out the JD power surveys.

We weren't trying to put you off Audi, more that one example.  Audi are as reliable as any brand out there.  Even UK manufacturers had to raise their game, otherwise go bust.

I've only been an Audi owner for a few years, but my first - a A4 Avant B8.5 was near ten years old, and still look fresh underneath.  My Jag is a few years younger, but having to consider getting undersealed to protect it more.

I'm sure there are better examples that the one you gave.  A bit of searching and willingness to travel within the UK should see you a car that has none of a bad history and within your budget.

If he travels the UK looking for the right car that should cost a few dollars as well as the steering wheel would be on the wrong side, Los Angeles is a clue.

Returning to Jonathon's original question, I have to wonder how such a low mileage car required so much expensive repair work. If the cause was abuse or mistreatment there may well be other undiscoved problems to solve. Frankly it sounds like a money pit that I would avoid like the plague.

All of which is academic as Jonathon has made no further comments, despite looking at the forum at least twice since his original query six days ago.

• Like 1

Hey all!  Thanks for the replies.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  Odd, it said I look but I actually didn't, I'm just seeing them all now.  I'm on my work computer so maybe I used the browser.  In any case, appreciate everyone's thoughtful replies.  I haven't bought a car yet and I agree with the majority that is probably someone's headache that they finally decided to unload.  I might test drive it one last time and see what I think and what type of warranty they offer.  Some of these American dealerships offer a three month warranty on used car now-a-days.  I'm approaching this car with a ten foot pole as I'd rather spend a few thousand for something more reliable.  Will keep you all posted!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

If he travels the UK looking for the right car that should cost a few dollars as well as the steering wheel would be on the wrong side, Los Angeles is a clue.

Didn't see any mention of LA.  His location came up as Essex using a desktop PC.  Clicked the link and all I get is an ad for carfax.

Edited by Rigger

That's funny, it could be a sign!  Yes, I'm a far way from Essex.  My profile says Los Angeles so no clue how Essex pops up.  Yes, I think this could be a clear sign to steer away.  Maybe record the Vin and check back in 2-3 years to check the carfax and see if this was a bullet dodged!