Multitronic whine

Hi folks. First time owning an Audi, albeit an old one. I bought a 2009 A6 auto. It has a very low intermittent whine, this happens sometimes when I come to a stop, but it also happens when I put it in paddle mode. It’s a very low whine and can’t be heard with the radio on. I’m just wondering is this normal or is there an issue? Any help is appreciated! 

6 minutes ago, Roller606 said:

Hi folks. First time owning an Audi, albeit an old one. I bought a 2009 A6 auto. It has a very low intermittent whine, this happens sometimes when I come to a stop, but it also happens when I put it in paddle mode. It’s a very low whine and can’t be heard with the radio on. I’m just wondering is this normal or is there an issue? Any help is appreciated! 

Hi has the gearbox ever been serviced as it could be a sign of oil degradation.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve. To be honest, I thought it had been, on the service history book there was a recent service that had it ticked but it was only when I got home I realised that in these books there’s a yes and no box and it was actually the no box that was ticked. I know rookie mistake. Is this a noise that would be fixed with an oil change or is it a case of the damage is now done? Cheers 

2 hours ago, Roller606 said:

Thanks for the reply Steve. To be honest, I thought it had been, on the service history book there was a recent service that had it ticked but it was only when I got home I realised that in these books there’s a yes and no box and it was actually the no box that was ticked. I know rookie mistake. Is this a noise that would be fixed with an oil change or is it a case of the damage is now done? Cheers 

Hi not necessarily, I have found through experience that a lot of the time these weird noises are because the gear oil is so burnt and degraded that it wont do its job properly, [maintain an oil film between the gears] therefore you get metal to metal sounds, a service may not cure the problem but its a cheaper try than another box.

Steve

• Like 1