Timing belt

GEG

Hi my 2.5tdi water pump failed resulting in the timing stripping its teeth. Before replacing the water pump and belts can anyone tell me how to check the cylinder head valves/ compression?

4 hours ago, GEG said:

Hi my 2.5tdi water pump failed resulting in the timing stripping its teeth. Before replacing the water pump and belts can anyone tell me how to check the cylinder head valves/ compression?

Hi strip the rocker cover offend look for cam followers in the cam housing they will fly off if they meet excessive force in the opposite direction [the pistons] you will have to remove the injectors to do this, if there is nothing obvious get a remotely lit camera, cheap on line and inspect the top of the pistons through the injector port any marks will indicate collision with the valves, now lies the conundrum, no rockers moved, no piston marks, the only way you can test compression is to fit a new timing kit, but you may well find a valve has a slight bend [not sealing] or one of the camshaft lobes has twisted on its shaft, this is quite common as the lobes are sweated on to the shaft.

Steve. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve thank you for your advice, ill have a go over the weekend 

Thanks George 

Just my two penn'orth worth, the damage can depend on the type of 2.5tdi. For example the version in my A6 (aym) if the belt snaps the pistons stop before wrecking the valves etc. Whereas the more refined versions (180bhp) such as bau can wreck the valves etc. as yours is a late model allroad I suspect the latter will be the case. 

In your position George, I would want the head removed to check for damage to the valves and piston crowns. And if the pistons prove to be damaged I would also want the sump and crankshaft removed to check for damage to the conrods.

This could prove to be a very expensive repair, which is why the recommendation is to change cambelts and water pumps before such catastrophic failures occur.

Thank you all for the quick responses, I may have to scrap the car after I have a look at the valves. If they are ok does anyone know how to set the timing for new belts. 

Hello George, 

I’ve amended ‘values’ to valves. It’s more complicated than with petrol engines. Have you looked up any You Tube presentations on this ? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/12/2024 at 9:59 AM, GEG said:

Thank you all for the quick responses, I may have to scrap the car after I have a look at the valves. If they are ok does anyone know how to set the timing for new belts. 

Engine rebuild cost will be around £3.5k. Finding a second hand engine is the hard bit. I'm in the same boat trying to source an engine for mine. 

Thanks to all but the engine is broken beyond repair, car is now being scrapped 

• Like 1