Weird noise Audi A3 S-Line

Hi guys馃憢馃憢 apologies if I did put this is wrong section but I鈥檓 looking for some help, my audi a3 it鈥檚 making a weird noise every time I start accelerating from 0mp/h whenever I stop at lights and than start accelerating the noise come up, doesn鈥檛 matter if car is cold or hot I get that weird noise, recently I had changed the clutch and water pump, i will add video if anyone can help I will pay it back聽

Sorry, but I will not download anything from untrusted sources. Can you describe the noise instead? Rattle, rumble, squeak, knock, ring, grind, for example. Weird tells us nothing.

• Like 1

If anyone don鈥檛 see the video the noise cars make is like squeak but more deep squeak plus minus sounds like starting vacuum cleaner kind of noise it鈥檚 hard to describe to be honest聽

1 hour ago, LuckyLuke said:

Hi guys馃憢馃憢 apologies if I did put this is wrong section but I鈥檓 looking for some help, my audi a3 it鈥檚 making a weird noise every time I start accelerating from 0mp/h whenever I stop at lights and than start accelerating the noise come up, doesn鈥檛 matter if car is cold or hot I get that weird noise, recently I had changed the clutch and water pump, i will add video if anyone can help I will pay it back聽

ee0b38c2-4b08-4bcf-bf09-87142276996b.mov 4.91 MB聽路聽1 download

That is "weird" indeed! It sounds like an upset elephant. Never heard this before coming from a car engine.

My first guess would be a worn belt... but then, it would usually be very consistent and when accelerating. In your video, your car is barely moving and it seems to come on when moving forward and even when stopping. So, it's not brakes.聽

Did you do the clutch and water pump yourself? Or was it done by a reputable shop? Because if it was a shop, I'd take your car back there. Let them diagnose it since they performed work on your car. A water pump can make noises, but usually not like this (and it'll be continuous, not stop/start like this).

Edited by Gary-A3
format

Posted (edited)

Gary-A3 I had this noise before doing water pump and clutch but now it鈥檚 more often whenever I start accelerating from 0 and only when I accelerate slowly ones it鈥檚 get around 10-15m/h the noise stops, video was hard to show it really but it gets me annoyed, plus what I seen in recent times is my petrol usage going higher than normal it goes around 9-10L which is weird as I鈥檓 driving normal EDIT: the sounds only comes on hot engine my friend just told me I鈥檓 trying to help him sort this problem out聽

Edited by LuckyLuke

4 hours ago, LuckyLuke said:

Cliffcoggin you don鈥檛 need to download anything just play the video which is under the topic聽

It comes up as a download for me, which I refuse to do.

7 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

It comes up as a download for me, which I refuse to do.

Cliff, I can attest that the download is fine. It's just a video file. No other "baggage." But if it helps, maybe he could upload it to YouTube and give you a link if downloading any video files is unacceptable to you under any circumstances.

10 hours ago, LuckyLuke said:

Gary-A3 I had this noise before doing water pump and clutch but now it鈥檚 more often whenever I start accelerating from 0 and only when I accelerate slowly ones it鈥檚 get around 10-15m/h the noise stops, video was hard to show it really but it gets me annoyed, plus what I seen in recent times is my petrol usage going higher than normal it goes around 9-10L which is weird as I鈥檓 driving normal EDIT: the sounds only comes on hot engine my friend just told me I鈥檓 trying to help him sort this problem out聽

OK. I understand you're relaying all this for a friend. It makes it a bit harder to do. I don't know if the increased sound is just the natural progression of something failing on the car, or if the work done just helped make it seem more apparent (such as eliminating water pump noise). It sounds like your friend should get a OBD-II scan tool like VCDS. It's a bit pricey, but you can find used ones. I don't know if there's now 3rd party tools that are nearly as good.聽 But a scan tool is invaluable for diagnosis today and for the future. PLUS, when selling the car, you can either include it as a purchase bonus, or just resell it on an Audi forum.

3 hours ago, Gary-A3 said:

Cliff, I can attest that the download is fine. It's just a video file. No other "baggage." But if it helps, maybe he could upload it to YouTube and give you a link if downloading any video files is unacceptable to you under any circumstances.

Thank you Gary. I appreciate you trying to help, but as I mentioned earlier I do not download anything from unknown sources. Youtube is an alternative presentation that I have suggested when this difficulty has cropped up previously.

• Like 1

It sounds like a dry bearing, along time ago I had an Omega 2.5 v6 and the serpentine belt tensioner pulley made this noise, I sprayed wd40 on it and the to see if it would change tone with some lubrication, the sound went and I never changed it.

Other than that I can't help, because it's only when moving off.

What engine has it?

Rybrook it鈥檚 1.5 TFSI stage 1 s line聽

Well, "Stage 1" means modifications... and who knows what your friend has also done that isn't disclosed. Looks like he's best off taking it to a reputable shop for a proper diagnosis. Spit-balling the issue on forums is going to turn up a lot of scattershot guesses and will likely not be fruitful.

Rybrook it鈥檚 1.5 TFSI stage 1 s line聽

So it is not your car after all, it's a friends; and only now do you mention it has been modified. Is there anything else you have not revealed about the car regarding condition and service history?

It鈥檚 been modified by plugging computer and changing the map nothing have been done mechanically inside it鈥檚 not related to the sound, the condition of the car is perfect have been only in audi garage for services never had any problems just this weird sound聽

4 hours ago, LuckyLuke said:

It鈥檚 been modified by plugging computer and changing the map nothing have been done mechanically inside it鈥檚 not related to the sound, the condition of the car is perfect have been only in audi garage for services never had any problems just this weird sound聽

Do you know how long ago your friend remapped the ECU for Stage 1? And how long was it from then until this weird sound started to manifest? Because if there wasn't very much time... it might be worth mapping back to stock. Just for peace of mind to eliminate that as a potential culprit. If it has been a good long while, like at least a few weeks... then highly likely the Stage 1 has no bearing on this.

Edited by Gary-A3