Low Coolant Warning

Mark Turner

Hi apologies if this has been asked before.  I drive a SQ5 on a ‘13 plate and I’m getting an intermittent ‘low coolant level warning’  Coolant level is fine and car does NOT overheat.  Looking on line suggests I need to change coolant reservoir including sensor. Before embarking on what appears to be a simple job and relatively cheap - anyone experienced this ?

Thank you 

I see no reason to change the reservoir if only the level sensor is defective.

Have you searched the forum history for similar topics? I seem to recall there have been several threads on this subject.

4 hours ago, Mark Turner said:

Hi apologies if this has been asked before.  I drive a SQ5 on a ‘13 plate and I’m getting an intermittent ‘low coolant level warning’  Coolant level is fine and car does NOT overheat.  Looking on line suggests I need to change coolant reservoir including sensor. Before embarking on what appears to be a simple job and relatively cheap - anyone experienced this ?

Thank you 

Hi yes its the sensor, but changing the reservoir would be good especially if your original has the deadly silica bag fitted in to it which will eventually burst and cause you problems you can identify this by looking at the reservoir and if its got a little square printed on it next to the antifreeze grade it is fitted.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

I see no reason to change the reservoir if only the level sensor is defective.

Have you searched the forum history for similar topics? I seem to recall there have been several threads on this subject.

My understanding is that you cannot simply replace sensor as it’s an integral part of reservoir