A4 Electronic Oil Level (bust) Check Conundrum

I have tried everything (that I can think of) How please can I physically check the engine oil level in my 2008 A4 ? 

The electronic oil gauge packed up. Constantly warning the oil level is critically low, despite filling up.

If I overfill, I risk breaking the engine so 'rock and hard place'...

In their infinite wisdom, Audi will not provide for a dip stick. We bought a bendy "universal 2008 A4 compatible" off Amazon to no avail, there is an screw-top engine oil opening but nothing will actually go the full way in.. And the electronic repair quote was ridiculous, or fractionally less than a replacement car.

So can anyone out there kindly suggest some 'lateral' or one off way I can test the oil level myself?

(I see the car holds 4.1 litres of oil) 

10 minutes ago, Dom77 said:

I have tried everything (that I can think of) How please can I physically check the engine oil level in my 2008 A4 ? 

The electronic oil gauge packed up. Constantly warning the oil level is critically low, despite filling up.

If I overfill, I risk breaking the engine so 'rock and hard place'...

In their infinite wisdom, Audi will not provide for a dip stick. We bought a bendy "universal 2008 A4 compatible" off Amazon to no avail, there is an screw-top engine oil opening but nothing will actually go the full way in.. And the electronic repair quote was ridiculous, or fractionally less than a replacement car.

So can anyone out there kindly suggest some 'lateral' or one off way I can test the oil level myself?

(I see the car holds 4.1 litres of oil) 

Hi I assume the quote for the repair was made by Audi, just find an independent garage, the sensor is about £70 and involves taking off the front splash guard underneath drain out the oil unplug the sensor undo three 10mm bolts and it falls out, also if you inspect the top of the engine with the cover off in there somewhere is a tube with a plastic bung, thats your dipstick tube.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve for your super speedy reply. 

FYI It was £550 I have quoted for parts and labour, 'bonnet sensor' also broken apparently, no mention of the hidden dip stick beneath the engine cover which I shall try tomorrow. Best, Dom