Rattle when engine under load

Cragh

Audi A4 B8 Avant 2.0TDi 2010 Technik (122,000miles)
At the start of the year I could hear a faint rattle when pulling away in first, and thinking it may be exhaust, as it does have that sort of sound, I checked that out to find that was ok.
I let it go to see if the noise developed and if I could locate it, but have so far failed even though it's got louder. I've had a mate (Mot Tester) look at it 3 or 4 times on the ramps, but he can't fathom it out either.
Driving over bumps doesn't make it sound, but if the noise is occurring at the time of hitting a bump, it does sound to rattle with the bump.
It only lasts for a second or two when the engine is under load. Don't really want to sell it yet with the price of used vehicles at the moment, but the noise is bugging me, and at some point feel the car will come to a stop one day.
I thought at first the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle but at present I believe it to be more central

It's possible a spring has broken in the DMF, though other possibilities should be considered before booking it for repair. It's a common fault in old DMFs, and will inevitably get worse.

It would be worth getting the clutch done at the same time, even though it will add a lot to the cost, much of which is the labour charge involved in removing the gearbox.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies. Can I ask what the spring is attached to, as the noise doesn't sound like a spring. The rattle is verging on a knocking sound. It started out quite quiet at the start of the year, and would probably hear it in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating.

It is louder now and can sometimes hear it for a second or two in 3rd if going up a smallish incline. And if it was a spring gone, would I not hear it when hitting a bump? 

Someone mentioned drive shaft but is an expensive job to find it isn't that

Edited by Cragh

The springs (there are several of them,) separate the two lumps of metal that constitute a DMF, thus providing some rotary cushioning between them. The arangement is similar to those in a clutch friction plate if you are familiar with one of those. When one or more springs break, the two lumps of metal (the dual masses in other words) smash against each other, which is why you hear a rattle initially that soon becomes a knock as more metal disintegrates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 3:31 PM, Cragh said:

Audi A4 B8 Avant 2.0TDi 2010 Technik (122,000miles)
At the start of the year I could hear a faint rattle when pulling away in first, and thinking it may be exhaust, as it does have that sort of sound, I checked that out to find that was ok.
I let it go to see if the noise developed and if I could locate it, but have so far failed even though it's got louder. I've had a mate (Mot Tester) look at it 3 or 4 times on the ramps, but he can't fathom it out either.
Driving over bumps doesn't make it sound, but if the noise is occurring at the time of hitting a bump, it does sound to rattle with the bump.
It only lasts for a second or two when the engine is under load. Don't really want to sell it yet with the price of used vehicles at the moment, but the noise is bugging me, and at some point feel the car will come to a stop one day.
I thought at first the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle but at present I believe it to be more central

i have exactly the same problem it started with a slight rattle about a year ago.could not work it out and it now vibrates and now the clutch is slipping.been quoted £1,135 labour(8 hours plus the parts £800 by audi....its the price of the dual mass fly wheel thats the killer...similar quote from click mechanic.its been a great car but with 200k it could be time to get what i can for mine and put that towards another audi....just come across this sachs clutch kit from gsf car parts....part no sac2290601059.but unsure if this will fit mine and your audi a4 avant estate 2011 2.0 tdi

Edited by alpha omega

Hello Stephen,

Really sorry to hear of your expensive issue, and can well respect the economics of it. 
Re.  Sachs:- Am I right in thinking they have amalgamated (or similar) with LUK? 
I think it’s worth Googling for the appropriate phone contact for their Technical chaps and asking there. 
Being pessimistic, I think you might find it’s the DMF is the supply difficulty, since they may only be supplying VAG direct.

Wonder if you would be kind enough to keep us posted on how things pan out.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

I recall reading on this forum that some folk have replaced the DMF with a one piece solid flywheel. I have no idea how it affects vibration or what it costs, but it is worth reseaching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Stephen,

Really sorry to hear of your expensive issue, and can well respect the economics of it. 
Re.  Sachs:- Am I right in thinking they have amalgamated (or similar) with LUK? 
I think it’s worth Googling for the appropriate phone contact for their Technical chaps and asking there. 
Being pessimistic, I think you might find it’s the DMF is the supply difficulty, since they may only be supplying VAG direct.

Wonder if you would be kind enough to keep us posted on how things pan out.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

hi gareth and clifford thanks for your replies been so busy lately will update asap maybe tomorrow kind regards stephen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi all again.had no internet so apologies.both clutches that fit my car are luk only according to what used to be euro car parts forgot their new name as i cannot find the quote they gave me,but it was around £845 which includes the dual mass flywheel. and then theres labour on top(8 hours).so trying to sell this one and put that towards another,or keep this one knowing the inns and outs of it and what i have had done to the car too regards stephen

Hello Stephen,

Such expenditure regrettably puts anyone into this ‘spend or get rid of dilemma’ - sorry to hear you are in that situation. It would seem that the deal-breaker here is the labour time, since the parts prices seem to be more reasonable than I would have expected for a DMF inclusive clutch kit. Even at a very very modest one-man-band labour rate of say £50/hr. it’s going to work out at over £1200 I guess. 
As a matter of interest, why ECP, particularly now that they no longer have their high % discounts on so called retail prices? Seldom find them to be competitive. 
My go-to supplier is now Parts in Motion ( no connection), who have provided me with competitive prices on good brands ( they do cheaper brands as well, but…). I always check what their charge is before looking for the same brand elsewhere. 
Good luck with whatever you decide to do Stephen.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Sorry for my absence, I’m having to care for an 86year old and could do without the car trouble at the same time. 
can’t even find a replacement car, with the current silly prices.

ive got no slipping clutch just this damn rattle/knocking. It has progressed over 2024 from what I thought may be an exhaust sounding rattle when pulling away, but I can get the sound up into 3rd gear now if going up a slight incline. 
it doesn’t even exaggerate the problem if I give it the beans. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 9:04 AM, Magnet said:

As a matter of interest, why ECP, particularly now that they no longer have their high % discounts on so called retail prices? Seldom find them to be competitive. 
My go-to supplier is now Parts in Motion ( no connection), who have provided me with competitive prices on good brands

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

hi again gareth first of all to you and others apologies for late replies(personal reason).i was passing ECP so i thought i would call in,but not realising without looking online how much down the hill they have gone.yes you have mentioned a few times about parts in motion.here is a recent quote i was given which includes the DMF and bolts £566(trade price)....i will try parts in motion.i have had 2 quotes for labour(audi) and a local garage both in the same price area.would you or anyone on this forum know if its possible to adjust the clutch on this audi a4 2.0 tdi (b8).kind regards all

Edited by alpha omega

would anyone on the forum be willing to put a new dmf and clutch in for me(audi says 8 hours) so a big job....i cannot afford audi prices.i would purchase the parts needed if someone with a garage in yorkshire would be willing to have a go....please let me know asap as clutch is slipping.i would like to keep this car as mentioned i know the inns and outs of it.kind regards stephen

hi gareth there is only 2 clutch kits i was told for this car and both are by L.u.k so i was thinking of buying the one i was quoted for at £566 which includes the d.m.f and bolts.or stick it on eBay at 99p start....i paid £2500 around 3.5 years ago

Edited by alpha omega

can anyone tell me if its possible to bleed the clutch pedal or be able to adjust the clutch pedal,in order to make any difference to a slipping clutch.as always any help would be much appreciated...just to confirm its an audi a4 avant estate(b8) 2.0 tdi 2011

Hello Stephen, 

Do you have a little ‘free play’ in the pedal when you depress it? If the pedal feels normal then bleeding won’t make any difference to it slipping. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

thanks for the quick reply gareth there is a very small amount of play at the top of the pedal.(that could be normal)otherwise the pedal seems fine when pressed i can feel pressure and the pedal returns fine

Edited by alpha omega