Handbrake fault

Hi hope someone can point me in the right place to start …. I get a message coming up on the dash saying handbrake fault ive reset it but it comes up again …. I was wondering where to look many thanks  

My car is a 2012 A5 

Edited by Chris lee77

36 minutes ago, Chris lee77 said:

Hi hope someone can point me in the right place to start …. I get a message coming up on the dash saying handbrake fault ive reset it but it comes up again …. I was wondering where to look many thanks  

My car is a 2012 A5 

Hi would say it is possibly the pads sticking in the runners, I personally tend to check the condition of the discs and pads  before condemning anything else, the age and condition of the battery has a great bearing on handbrake performance.

Steve.

Thanks I’ll have a look at the brakes tomorrow and test the battery I hardly use the car so the brake problem could be why I’ve got the fault thanks 

Thanks Chris, but to change the battery without testing it would be impulsive. 
Not cheap, will need to buy a good brand, and battery will need to be coded to the car.

Change if proved to be substandard. Come back to us if it does, and we can point you in the right direction for good deals. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2024 at 7:38 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi would say it is possibly the pads sticking in the runners, I personally tend to check the condition of the discs and pads  before condemning anything else, the age and condition of the battery has a great bearing on handbrake performance.

Steve.

Never knew condition of battery was important to operation of handbrake! Gotta hate EHB 😖

21 hours ago, enc said:

Never knew condition of battery was important to operation of handbrake! Gotta hate EHB 😖

Hi thats how I lost my car, the AGM batteries cause all sorts of problems, in my case the discs and pads were new and the battery decided to have a voltage drop and released the parking brake, according to the engineer we get loads of cars like yours and thats why anything post 2020 has an EFB battery they tend to not have these sort of problems, might be your battery h is not producing enough power to operate the release, wreathe pads free enough?

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats how I lost my car, the AGM batteries cause all sorts of problems, in my case the discs and pads were new and the battery decided to have a voltage drop and released the parking brake, according to the engineer we get loads of cars like yours and thats why anything post 2020 has an EFB battery they tend to not have these sort of problems, might be your battery h is not producing enough power to operate the release, wreathe pads free enough?

Steve.

Op never came back so I guess we’ll never know 😂

so how exactly did you loose your car Steve? 

I’m not sure why you visit the forum Chris- as recent as the 14th August -  yet are not prepared to update us -? 

The issue has been sorted new battery is needed but I can’t get it in to a garage until September but I’m not bothered as I don’t use the car much….. I didn’t realise you wanted updating ! 

Thanks Chris,

Re updating:- asked a couple of times.

Objective:- your experience and our advice builds up the picture which will be of help to others in similar situations in the future. 
Without your updating, everything degenerates to no avail.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, enc said:

Op never came back so I guess we’ll never know 😂

so how exactly did you loose your car Steve? 

Hi the battery was just over three years old, parked on the flat on my local garage forecourt, filled it up with diesel, got my money out of the car, walked in and paid for the diesel, looked at the car, no one behind me so I went to the loo and when I came out the car had gone and rolled off into a wall, game over, it wasn't until I spoke to the insurance engineer that I discovered why it had done what it did and if you go on the net there are a good few others who have shared the same fate, in addition to this my wife swore I must have forgotten to put the parking brake on, so there we are putting the shopping in the back of her car when a 2014 A6 saloon rolled out of its space opposite all on its own and rammed the front of the car three spaces up from us, as the engineer said he has visited loads like this to asses damage and they know about the problem, when I bought my Passat sure enough its got an EFB battery which you can fit and code to any Audi.

Steve.

4 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the battery was just over three years old, parked on the flat on my local garage forecourt, filled it up with diesel, got my money out of the car, walked in and paid for the diesel, looked at the car, no one behind me so I went to the loo and when I came out the car had gone and rolled off into a wall, game over, it wasn't until I spoke to the insurance engineer that I discovered why it had done what it did and if you go on the net there are a good few others who have shared the same fate, in addition to this my wife swore I must have forgotten to put the parking brake on, so there we are putting the shopping in the back of her car when a 2014 A6 saloon rolled out of its space opposite all on its own and rammed the front of the car three spaces up from us, as the engineer said he has visited loads like this to asses damage and they know about the problem, when I bought my Passat sure enough its got an EFB battery which you can fit and code to any Audi.

Steve.

Jeez! Nightmare. Don’t you leave it in gear ?