Rear parking sensors

Joe137

Hello im having a issue with my rear parking sensors they have totally stopped working when when i select reverse i dont get the normal beep i have changed  the parking sensor moduel and the tweeter and still having the same issue.

would some one  be able to help me  on this issue please as i dont know what else to check all the sensors have been working fine just stopped randomly one day 

16 hours ago, Joe137 said:

Hello im having a issue with my rear parking sensors they have totally stopped working when when i select reverse i dont get the normal beep i have changed  the parking sensor moduel and the tweeter and still having the same issue.

would some one  be able to help me  on this issue please as i dont know what else to check all the sensors have been working fine just stopped randomly one day 

Hi the parking sensors are worked from the sensor on the gearbox switch when you select reverse, chances are its knackered, easy way to check is ignition on position 2 select reverse and get round the back to check the reversing lights are on, if they are its a long and fiddly check of the wiring to find the break.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello whoever (Joe??),

As Stevey Y points out. If the reversing light/ lights work then you should be getting 12v to the module, so you will need to check that. 
Normally when the reverse sensors don’t work, you get a longer continuous bleep when reverse is selected. Back to:- if you have 12v to the module, then chances are one or more sensors have gone. Which one? 2 mins of diagnostics. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

4 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the parking sensors are worked from the sensor on the gearbox switch when you select reverse, chances are its knackered, easy way to check is ignition on position 2 select reverse and get round the back to check the reversing lights are on, if they are its a long and fiddly check of the wiring to find the break.

Steve.

Thanks Steve so you think it could be a break in the wires if so this will be fun to find do you guys know of any tools that can find split wires or is it a manual job strip back the wire myself as this could be very time consuming for me but also be expensive to take to a garage I would say I was hoping for a switch or sensor by the gear selector but doesn’t sound like there is one thanks again 

56 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello whoever (Joe??),

As Stevey Y points out. If the reversing light/ lights work then you should be getting 12v to the module, so you will need to check that. 
Normally when the reverse sensors don’t work, you get a longer continuous bleep when reverse is selected. Back to:- if you have 12v to the module, then chances are one or more sensors have gone. Which one? 2 mins of diagnostics. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth thanks for your input I do get reverse lights and no beer at all would it be possible for all 4 sensors to fail at once and in a result not giving a beep I’m going to get is scanned by vcds and see what that’s saying last time it was saying the module so that why I changed that but then it didn’t fix it so I  Presumed it was the tweeter but still no joy 

Similar issue with mine sometime ago, but continuous bleep. Turned out just one sensor had failed. One failed = all don’t work. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Steve.

Also Steve I have a broken wire on my oil liver sensor could this throw the parking sensors off at all and when I think about it when I caught the oil sensor wires the parking sensors stoped working a couple of days to a week later 

3 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Similar issue with mine sometime ago, but continuous bleep. Turned out just once sensor had failed. One failed = all don’t work. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Okay thank again Gareth I scanned it with a autel scanner think it’s best if I get it scanned with vcds but not meany garages have it near me I will post back after taking a look and getting it scanned I check all parking sensors wires in the rear bumper last night and they all seemed okay but visuals can look good but be split inside and no signs of anyone revering or hitting the rear end to cause a split 

thanks kind regards joe 

9 minutes ago, Joe137 said:

Also Steve I have a broken wire on my oil liver sensor could this throw the parking sensors off at all and when I think about it when I caught the oil sensor wires the parking sensors stoped working a couple of days to a week later 

Would this be one on the gearbox sensor as I had the box out to change the clutch and broke the oil level sensor wires and just wondering if this was damaged too as it was a close family member that fit it for me 

IMG_9470.jpeg

Hello,- can you please first complete your Profile, by entering your name, so we all know who we are talking to. Many thanks. 

Let’s re-look at this:- 

The gearbox reverse switch must be working, since your reverse lights are working, so why are you concerning yourself about getting the correct replacement? Forget about that as the culprit. 
I’ve tried to explain that one faulty in-bumper sensor renders the whole system inoperative, so you need to assure yourself that all 4? are serviceable - my feeling is one or more aren’t. In my experience, you can give them as many coats of looking at as you like, but they will appear to be intact. It has been said that you can put your ear it each one, and the offending one will reveal itself. Hasn’t worked for me.

What you need to do:- Confirm you have 12v at the module - we take it you have a multimeter-? 
If so, you need to get each sensor diagnostically checked, and that result will tell you whether any are faulty, and if so, exactly which of the 4 is the offender.
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

9 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello,- can you please first complete your Profile, by entering your name, so we all know who we are talking to. Many thanks. 

Let’s re-look at this:- 

The gearbox reverse switch must be working, since your reverse lights are working, so why are you concerning yourself about getting the correct replacement? Forget about that as the culprit. 
I’ve tried to explain that one faulty in-bumper sensor renders the whole system inoperative, so you need to assure yourself that all 4? are serviceable - my feeling is one or more aren’t. In my experience, you can give them as many coats of looking at as you like, but they will appear to be intact. It has been said that you can put your ear it each one, and the offending one will reveal itself. Hasn’t worked for me.

What you need to do:- Confirm you have 12v at the module - we take it you have a multimeter-? 
If so, you need to get each sensor diagnostically checked, and that result will tell you whether any are faulty, and if so, exactly which of the 4 is the offender.
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

I thought my profile was complete my names joe I just tried to update it and I can’t change my name as I logged in via google sorry guys 

so I’m with the car now and doing the checks we spoke about yesterday I put the key in the ignition turned to second click, went to the rear and I don’t have a reverse light on I currently don’t have a multimeter but will order one today if I can’t borrow one from a friend 

20 minutes ago, Joe137 said:

I thought my profile was complete my names joe I just tried to update it and I can’t change my name as I logged in via google sorry guys 

Thanks for that information Joe. We have been trying recently to investigate why some folk do not have names attached to their profiles, and logging in via Google was a suspect. You have now confirmed that the suspicion was right, which we shall pass on to the forum administrator.

8 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Thanks for that information Joe. We have been trying recently to investigate why some folk do not have names attached to their profiles, and logging in via Google was a suspect. You have now confirmed that the suspicion was right, which we shall pass on to the forum administrator.

No problem mate hope it helps it also says 100% complete province too so I was confused as no one knew my name 

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, 

But you said in the 5th post, that you did have reverse lights - I took that to mean they are working. I thought that was a reasonable interpretation! I was wrong then. 
Since we now know they aren’t working, then it’s back to first principles and check that the appropriate fuse hasn’t blown. If it hasn’t then you need to check for 12v coming to the reversing switch. If you have 12v on one side of the switch, you then need to select reverse, and check if you have 12v on the other terminal. If not, you will need to replace the switch. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

6 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Joe, 

But you said in the 5th post, that you did have reverse lights - I took that to mean they are working. I thought that was a reasonable interpretation! I was wrong then. 
Since we now know they aren’t working, then it’s back to first principles and check that the appropriate fuse hasn’t blown. If it hasn’t then you need to check for 12v coming to the reversing switch. If you have 12v on one side of the switch, you then need to select reverse, and check if you have 12v on the other terminal. If not, you will need to replace the switch. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry my bad mate must of been a autocorrect or something sorry yes I don’t have reverse lights I will get the multimeter and check I will also check the fuse sorry for any misunderstanding I will get back to you once I have done these things and let yoU know if I find the issue thank you again for your time it’s very much appreciated guys 

kind regards joe 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joe137 said:

Hi could be they are all part of the same loom, but you definitely have a reversing gear sensor, even my A6 had one it will be on the side of the gearbox, usual MO is a brass switch with two or three wires going to it.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi could be they are all part of the same loom, but you definitely have a reversing gear sensor, even my A6 had one it will be on the side of the gearbox, usual MO is a brass switch with two or three wires going to it.

Steve.

Cheers Steve I will also check this too as could of been damaged when the clutch was changed thank you much appreciated 

Kind regards joe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2024 at 1:38 PM, Magnet said:

Any progress since Joe? 

Hello guys sorry for late reply I have had limited time to work on the car I narrowed it down to there only been power to the revers light sensor plug with the multimeter so I’m going on the sensor has seen better days I have just got my delivery of the new sensory and steering rack loom so I can eliminate the split oil level sensor wires at the same time I’m hoping to get these fit tomorrow if the weather hold out for me