12V battery life on PHEV

Mike C

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so apologise if I post something that's already been covered.  I have an Audi A6 50 TFSI e PHEV that I intend to take camping.  What happens if I leave things like a cooler plugged into the 12V overnight?  Does the high voltage system automatically charge the 12V battery or could I wake up to a flat battery (as happened to me with traditional petrol vehicles)?  Many thanks,

Mike

I don't know specifically about your vehicle, so wait for more informed opinion, but many electric cars do top up the auxilliary battery from the traction battery even when the ignition is off. There are arguments about whether it is safe to have 400 volt electrical activity going on when the car is unattended, but that is a matter beyond my competance. Perhaps the dealer can tell you.

Edited by cliffcoggin
omission

Another option to consider is what is known as V2L, or vehicle to load. It's a way of taking 230 volts out of the traction battery via a charging port adaptor. It is intended for uses such as yours, and as a backup supply for low load circuits in the house. Again I do not know if it is available for your car.