Quick P2019 Code Gone, Cold Start Procedures Not Running

Hey everyone. I recently had the P2019 code come on for my 2011 A6 3.0T a few drives ago. But for some reason, the code went away the next drive and hasn't occurred since.
But, i've noticed that the normal Cold Start procedure that runs the secondary air injection system and other tests isn't running on a cold start since that code popped up. Usually the engine will idle at 1200 RPMs for a minute or two, then rest at 800 or so, but it just drops straight to 800 on cold start now.

From what i've looked up, the code is for the "Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit". I looked it up in the Service/Maintenance manual, found the diagram for the intake manifold and two devices on the end that I think maybe be involved. They're the "flap potentiometer" and the vacuum unit for actuating the intake manifold flaps. I'm not sure which component it would be. I don't know if the potentiometer is considered a sensor, because google says it's a "variable resistor or potential meter". So unless the vacuum unit has some sort of sensor in it, i'm stumped.
I'm also not sure why it would be affecting the cold start procedures, so i'm hoping someone can help explain how that's involved.

18 hours ago, RiftCygnus said:

Hey everyone. I recently had the P2019 code come on for my 2011 A6 3.0T a few drives ago. But for some reason, the code went away the next drive and hasn't occurred since.
But, i've noticed that the normal Cold Start procedure that runs the secondary air injection system and other tests isn't running on a cold start since that code popped up. Usually the engine will idle at 1200 RPMs for a minute or two, then rest at 800 or so, but it just drops straight to 800 on cold start now.

From what i've looked up, the code is for the "Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit". I looked it up in the Service/Maintenance manual, found the diagram for the intake manifold and two devices on the end that I think maybe be involved. They're the "flap potentiometer" and the vacuum unit for actuating the intake manifold flaps. I'm not sure which component it would be. I don't know if the potentiometer is considered a sensor, because google says it's a "variable resistor or potential meter". So unless the vacuum unit has some sort of sensor in it, i'm stumped.
I'm also not sure why it would be affecting the cold start procedures, so i'm hoping someone can help explain how that's involved.

Hi its probably the runners for the swirl flaps inside the manifold have seized in theory the flaps are a good idea as they help to cause vortex effect on the incoming air that aids combustion as well as reducing emissions, the big problem is all the cr@p from the EGR gets fed in to the manifold as well, this serves to gunge up the flaps and once stuck will terminate the potentiometer, so best practise is to get another manifold, or fit a delete kit to your existing manifold, either way it will have to come off the engine.

Steve.

23 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its probably the runners for the swirl flaps inside the manifold have seized in theory the flaps are a good idea as they help to cause vortex effect on the incoming air that aids combustion as well as reducing emissions, the big problem is all the cr@p from the EGR gets fed in to the manifold as well, this serves to gunge up the flaps and once stuck will terminate the potentiometer, so best practise is to get another manifold, or fit a delete kit to your existing manifold, either way it will have to come off the engine.

Steve.

Alright. Cool. Thanks for that Steve. Good place to start on what it is. Happy to have any information on it.

18 minutes ago, RiftCygnus said:

Alright. Cool. Thanks for that Steve. Good place to start on what it is. Happy to have any information on it.

Hi it was another cheap way of lowering emissions along with a load of others, all endorsed by the Californian Air Resources Board who were the architects of OBD standardisation and everything new had to have fuel injection to even get a look in at being imported into the U.S.

Steve.

Hi,

Can you just block the egr pipe off into the manifold without any issues? I have the 2.0 tdi 170 engine.