WANTED Audi a4 b8 2.0tdi estate

Hi all,the clutch is slipping on my audi a4 b8 2.0tdi avant estate so i am looking for one similar to buy and using mine as a donor......Or if anyone knows someone who can do a clutch(supplied) cheaper than audi or garages,then please do let me know.i am in the yorkshire area.thanks stephen

3 hours ago, alpha omega said:

Hi all,the clutch is slipping on my audi a4 b8 2.0tdi avant estate so i am looking for one similar to buy and using mine as a donor......Or if anyone knows someone who can do a clutch(supplied) cheaper than audi or garages,then please do let me know.i am in the yorkshire area.thanks stephen

Hi, thats a bit drastic, buy a new car because the old one has a dodgy clutch, have you looked at the prices of these things second hand, if you get a cheap one it will be cheap for many expensive reasons.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi, thats a bit drastic, buy a new car because the old one has a dodgy clutch, have you looked at the prices of these things second hand, if you get a cheap one it will be cheap for many expensive reasons.

Steve.

hi steve,i get what your saying.i have tried 6 garages so far and they want between £1600 to £2200.is that fair would you say.regards stephen

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Is it fair to expect a car costing £2000 to not need any work on it? To my mind that is totally unreasonable.

sorry if i am been mis- understood clifford.but do you or anyone think that paying someone from(lowest quote)around £115 an hour in labour to(the highest quote) £200 an hour in labour is a reasonable price to pay. i personally dont think so.this is why people like myself and others on here try and have a go at doing things themself.yes we can argue they are skilful.equipment is expensive.they have to pay wages and buisness rates etc etc.....then you will argue back, then dont buy a car then.but we boys like our toys.when your working on a minimum wage like a lot of people are these days you want something out of life.i really do believe we are been ripped off with everything we buy.and no wonder we are in a reccesion both here and all around the world.and a lot of people have gone out of buisness.Bring back the good old days

Edited by alpha omega

Thanks Stephen,

Regrettably £110/hr. at substantial garages is about the norm. - whether we like it or not, and whether we can afford it or not - it is what it is. 
Options:- DIY. Some owners have the tools, equipment and knowledge to carryout most repairs on their vehicles. We on here, recommend sources of good value parts at reasonable prices, so overall costs are kept as low as possible. 
The level of DIY capabilities will obviously vary, so inevitably some repairs will need to be contacted out. 

Contracting out:- the smaller the garage, the lower the overheads, and consequently the lower the hourly rate. 

Local knowledge and asking about if the only way in which anyone is going to find such garages in their particular areas. Recommendations are great if you can find them.

Least cost route:- find a local one man band fitter who does such jobs. Again only found via. local knowledge and enquiries. 

Hope this explains where we can be at with this Stephen. 
Summary:- find a local one man repairer who is prepared to do this at say c£50/hr. max. Ask if you can supply the parts. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephen.

Whether the prices you mentioned are reasonable or not is irrelevant. The fact is those are the going rates, so if you can not, or will not, pay them the only option I see for you is to learn to fix the clutch yourself.

Naturally that will involve purchasing some expensive tools and equipment, then attending some sort of training course so you know what and how the tasks are performed, and finally you will need premises on which to do the work. Does that put the garage costs into perspective?

• Like 1

but these garages are living in cuckoo land.its only those foolish enough to pay that amount that keeps these garages going.ask someone who earns £12 an hour.regards

23 hours ago, alpha omega said:

hi steve,i get what your saying.i have tried 6 garages so far and they want between £1600 to £2200.is that fair would you say.regards stephen

Hi £1600 is not a bad price if thats with the parts its a horrible job believe me I have watched it twice on my A6 and can honestly say if I had seen the video of the change I would never have bought the car, I bashed my credit card both times to get it done, unfortunately if you buy an Audi you join the owners club along with the exorbitant prices for parts, personally I am glad I am now out of ownership and have a VW Passat in which I have covered 17k since February without a murmur and the parts are about a third of the price, I.E. full clutch LUK £450 + £250 to fit, welcome to the real world, before £1600 for the parts + £600 to fit. 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

SEND YOUR REG IN MESSAGE ITS KEV  WHO GOT YOUR D2 V8 MY MATE WORKS AT MOTORFACTORS   

• 2 weeks later...

"update" fitted a new pierburgh throttle body as it came up with a code p210000 throttle actuator control motor circuit open.and its definately improved the acceleration.not perfect but i will hang to me dosh for now. GFS parts pierburgh throttle boody £154.75 including v.a.t.thanks all stephen

7 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

I must be missing something here. You fitted a new throttle body to solve a clutch problem?

lol clifford i had 4 codes come up so i knew i needed a throttle body so bought that and the cars definately improved with acceleration.no codes present now so got that out of the way before going to audi,but the earliest appointment is the 18th september.(£140 diagnostic check.)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, alpha omega said:

lol clifford i had 4 codes come up so i knew i needed a throttle body so bought that and the cars definately improved with acceleration.no codes present now so got that out of the way before going to audi,but the earliest appointment is the 18th september.(£140 diagnostic check.)...showing pictures of the throttle body in case anyone needs to see how it looks and how many pins it has for the connection

20240827_123332.jpg

20240827_123341.jpg

20240827_123351.jpg

20240827_123408.jpg

20240827_123418.jpg

20240827_123427.jpg

20240827_123400.jpg

20240828_061139.jpg

Edited by alpha omega

just cleaned the 6 prongs on the accelerator pedal.(last pic)undo x3 8mm bolts remove the cover.one of the bolts is where the fuses are on the right side of the dash.removed x1 27mm torx bolt(pic 3) from the top of the pedal to free it.here are pics in case anyone needs a part no.i(pic 5) its definately improved acceleration more(90%)...

20240902_093731.jpg

20240902_093715.jpg

20240902_094656.jpg

20240902_095719.jpg

20240902_095724.jpg

20240902_095733.jpg

20240902_095741.jpg

• Like 1

Hi I am with Clifford on this one how did it get from not sufficient funds for a clutch to buying more stuff which wont solve the clutch slipping, it just doesn't add up or maybe my abacus needs an overhaul.

Steve.

52 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I am with Clifford on this one how did it get from not sufficient funds for a clutch to buying more stuff which wont solve the clutch slipping, it just doesn't add up or maybe my abacus needs an overhaul.

Steve.

hi steve,i am begining to wonder after all wether it is the clutch now and grasping at straws hoping to find a cheaper solution.as i am getting good acceleration now,and wonder now if i just need to change the acceleration pedal with the built in sensor....but no codes are showing.so of course wont be doing that....i did what kev asked me to try this morning and start the engine and spray wd 40 around the pipes but no change in the engine sound....apologies for frustrating you and others.i just cannot find someone who is willing to look at it other than audi.which i feel reluctant to have to go to....we all know a lot of stories with audi.regards stephen

This bizarre tale is becoming more and more convoluted and confusing, so shall we start again?

How about you tell us what the symptoms of the problem are, rather than making false assumptions about the clutch and the need for a donor car. We can then perhaps home in on where the fault is located, and where to spend money wisely.

And please, no more pictures of shiney bits of metal. They add nothing to the narrative.

19 hours ago, alpha omega said:

hi steve,i am begining to wonder after all wether it is the clutch now and grasping at straws hoping to find a cheaper solution.as i am getting good acceleration now,and wonder now if i just need to change the acceleration pedal with the built in sensor....but no codes are showing.so of course wont be doing that....i did what kev asked me to try this morning and start the engine and spray wd 40 around the pipes but no change in the engine sound....apologies for frustrating you and others.i just cannot find someone who is willing to look at it other than audi.which i feel reluctant to have to go to....we all know a lot of stories with audi.regards stephen

Hi the symptoms of clutch failure are simply diagnosed, take the car out get it up to temp then find a nice hill to go up and change up early so the engine is beginning to labour then slam the throttle down if the clutch is knackered the revs will rise rapidly withe no extra acceleration, I am in no doubt Audi will tell you its gone just to get the job and charge you even more money than anyone else, I have driven over a million miles in cabs and stand on me thats the best way of testing the clutch, Audi ownership is for people with deep pockets, yes they are great to drive, yes they are powerful, but you know what the parts prices dont justify the ownership, I just bought new discs and pads for My Passat and they were a bargain at £123.40 compared with the A6 which was Brembo as well at £270.80 even aftermarket its a JOKE.

Steve.

• Like 2

yep definately the clutch thankfully have it booked in at a garage in the countryside.he needs the car for 2 days complete clutch kit plus labour £1400 plus m.o.t while its there.happy bunny

• 2 weeks later...

will update you all when the clutch and m.o.t are done. it was booked in for the 18th sep but i broke down on tuesday(10th sep) so they have had the car since then thanks all for now.stephen

• Like 1

"update" clutch and m.o.t now done all good and no advisories..... would highly recommend this garage D.G Dale& sons. great people to deal with very helpful.worth the travel...thanks all for all your replies kind regards stephen.😃

20240920_155541.jpg

20240920_155550.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 8:42 PM, alpha omega said:

yep definately the clutch thankfully have it booked in at a garage in the countryside.he needs the car for 2 days complete clutch kit plus labour £1400 plus m.o.t while its there.happy bunny

Hi there you go, a Damn sight cheaper than buying somebody else's worn out parts, well done.

Steve.

• Like 1