Clutch or something else?

greggles

Go to solution Solved by greggles,

I bought the car in Jan 2024, is has done 149,000 miles. However, there is no problem selecting gears and the only time I had a suspicion that the clutch might need replacing, was when the car was fully loaded returning from a few days away. On a motorway filter lane, I gave the throttle some 'beans' to get up to motorway speed. The revs climbed but the speed didn't, I came off the throttle and tried to accelerate again, this time without an issue.

Where I live, is at the top of a hill with a steep winding road with 2nd and 3rd gear 90 degree steep sharp turns. The clutch shows no signs of wear when negotiating this every day.

I have tried to recreate the clutch slipping issue when entering a duel carriageway/motorway since and if I really floor the throttle in 3dr or 4th gear I can get the situation where the revs rise but not the speedo.

The obvious, with the mileage, would be the clutch I suppose. However, because there are no other issues, I wonder if I might be missing something else.

Hello Greg,

Treat this car like the local vicar would, to improve your chances  of the clutch lasting as long as it does. 
Build up speed very gently when entering dual carriageway. 
Sorry, can’t resist this :- don’t do duels with dual carriageways! 
Good luck with getting it to last.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1