Audi A3 2005 Won't Start

Hello,

Audi A3 2005, been running perfectly well. 

Friday, would not start when turning the key. No response.

Would not start with jump leads.

RAC diagnosed Starter Motor - starter motor replaced but issue not resolved.

Power is reaching the starter motor.

No fault codes on computer.

RAC have said, 'can't help'. Am trying to find a local mechanic but thought I'd ask for advice in the meantime.

Help!

Welcome Kelly and thanks for joining. 
When you say it (still) doesn’t start, do you mean the starter motor still doesn’t turn the engine over, or it does turn it over but  it won’t start the car? 
Either way, I think it’s going to be difficult to identify the cause without having the car to assess and test, but please let us have an answer to above first. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello,  

Sorry I'm not very familiar with car language so I hope I explain this okay.

The starter motor was replaced, but the car is still unresponsive. You can hear a tick but that's all. 

I am not sure what turn over means, but if it means to show any sign of life or functionality, then no it is not turning over. And bystanders have said, 'it is not even turning over'

Kelly

Kelly,

What lights are on the dash when you try to start it and do the lights on the dash "dim" at all when you turn the key?

When was the battery last charged or tested?  What i would suggest to rule it out, is either charging the car battery overnight or swapping it temporarily for a known fully charged battery.

Failing that, is there a immobiliser on the car??  I take it you have locked and unlocked the car again to deactivate it "if there is"?

Maybe a quick video of what happens when you turn the key might give us a bit more insight into the issue? 

Thanks Kelly,

I think I get the situation that the starter motor isn’t actually turning the engine over (as it would normally do when you turn the key). 
By standers saying ‘it’s not even turning over…’ confirms my understanding.

Who replaced the starter motor - not RAC-? Whoever, you need to get them back to sort it. Could be a number of wiring associated causes, so it sounds like an hour out with an auto electrician, or your friendly local garage. it’s likely the original starter motor wasn’t faulty. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Neil,

I’ve ruled out battery issues being the primary cause since Kelly has attempted to jump start it without any change. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Neil,

I’ve ruled out battery issues being the primary cause since Kelly has attempted to jump start it without any change. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Whilst I would agree, I would also disagree from the point of view that i have often seen people try jumpstart from smaller engines with "cheap" jump leads and they dont work.
however using a set of heavy duty leads and a larger capacity battery has helped out the same car.
Its not a definitive resolve, but whats the hurt in charging overnight and trying it! 

I would try the easy stuff before spending money on an issue being honest.

Hello,

Thanks Gareth, RAC have replaced my old starter motor and have left unsure what to do next.

I'll see if I can get it recovered to a local VWS garage to look at it further!

Kelly

Kelly.

For information there are two stages to starting an engine: 1/ cranking, (or turning over,) when the starter spins the engine to suck air and fuel into it; 2/ ignition, (or firing,) when the fuel/air mixture in the engine ignites.

Yours is clearly not turning over so likely it is an electrical fault somewhere between the switch and the starter relay. I doubt that the starter motor itself is faulty because the instrument lights stay bright. Your plan to recover it a garage is a good one.

Hello Neil,

We can only go with the information we are given, and that includes ‘Battery was tested by RAC’. Rest assured that if the breakdown services can (justifiably?) sell you a battery, they most certainly will! Not having done so, makes it pretty clear that they found the current battery to be serviceable. 

Hello,

Thanks all for advice and support. If anyone is interested, then issue was a corroded earthing cable and a quick fix by an independent mobile mechanic.

Here's hoping RAC reimburse me for the £272 I've paid for not a lot..

Kelly

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kelly J said:

Hello,

Thanks all for advice and support. If anyone is interested, then issue was a corroded earthing cable and a quick fix by an independent mobile mechanic.

Here's hoping RAC reimburse me for the £272 I've paid for not a lot..

Kelly

Great news that you got sorted.

Hopefully you will get the money returned! 
There were a couple of possibilities that were running thru my head based on my previous experience with these.
1. Broken wire between the ignition and starter motor.

2. Immobiliser fault meaning you need more power to start the car than normal - (hence my query on the charge state of the battery) last one of these i had wouldnt start unless it was at full charge and had a jump starter also.  when the immobiliser was removed however it never gave a problem again.

3. break switch error. car didnt realise the foot was on the break pedal meaning it was still looking for that input in order for it to start.

Many thanks for coming back and letting us know what the actual cause was Kelly.

I’ll now mark this thread as solved.

Yes, I too would be pursuing the RAC. It’s reasonable to expect that they would (1) have found the fault and/or (2) removed the replacement starter motor and refitted your original, once it had been proved the new one did not solve the issue .

Perhaps you would let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.