2017 Audi A5 2.0L (F5) TFSI S Line Sat Nav Hardwire Install

WayneDun

Hello all,

Newbie here and glad to be back in an Audi after years of tinkering with other German makes.

I have bought a Nextbase 422GW (secondhand) and will be shortly hardwiring it my car, however the video below shows the fuse to use is a 5A, yet the one in the same position in my fusebox is 7.5A.   Would this be a problem if I used this one or should I choose another?.....Any advice would be greatly received (pic of my fusebox below with blue highlight around fuse).

Cheers all

Wayne

image.png.b6e2dd78ea8bdd0e4a00de7916f2a6a7.png

If the 7.5 amp fuse supplies some other circuit in addition to the satnav I suggest you leave it, or even uprate it depending on the total electrical load it carries.

Generally for a dashcam you will need a fuse spur/tap. These allow you to retain the original fuse value for the slot and function of the car and add a new fuse for the Dashcam. Dashcams are normally on a 2-5A fuse.

If you have bought the Dashcam second hand, you might also need to check the power cable in case you need a USB connection or just a GND and 12V connection.

Thanks Clifford.  I haven't looked into testing the fuses with a multimeter, as I was hoping that the fuse box layout I have would be common across the model and age, and that someone with the same would have already hardwired their satnav and perhaps specify which fuse they piggybacked.

If that means you are unsure which fuse to use you should choose carefully. You need to find one that is not permanently live (i.e. only comes on with the ignition,) else you will flatten the battery overnight.

Your plan of using a piggy back fuse is a good one as it maintains the principle of one device per fuse. Check that you can close the fusebox cover once the extra fuse is fitted.

Doing precisely this job on my A3 some years ago was what led me to this forum.

Totally understand, and will be testing the fuses shortly to discover just that!

Thanks again for you help.