Rear suspension is lower on the drivers side.

SimonJX

Go to solution Solved by Magnet,

Hi have a 2017 Audi A4 AllRoad (petrol) I have been having problems with my suspension. It failed an MOT due to a crack in the rear offside coil spring and a new one was fitted. After the fitting I noticed the ride height on the drivers side rear was much lower and as a result I have recently had that coil spring replaced as well. This does not seem to have had the desired effect and the drivers side rear is STILL over 4cm lower than its opposite side. I carry quite a lot of weight in the car as I do record fairs and use my car as the transport. Im attaching pics of both sides plus photos showing the difference in heights. Any advice would be welcome, also is this still safe to drive? Thanks SimonJX

Audi A4 - 2.jpeg

Audi A4 - 1.jpeg

Audi A4 - 4.jpeg

Audi A4 - 3.jpeg

Welcome Simon and sorry to hear of your issue. 
Putting it as I see it, I’m not surprised. 
Springs should only be renewed in pairs on the same axle. Failure to do that will result in more labour costs than would have applied if both had been done together. 
Springs can vary according to vehicle spec. e.g. sports suspension/ non sports etc. 

Neither you or I know whether the first one fitted was actually the correct one or not, and whether the second one was from the same manufacturer and spec as the first one. 
To move forward, you need to be certain a pair of correct ones from the same manufacturer are bought, otherwise you have increased potential for the situation you find yourself in. 

For a bit of clarification:- Enter you reg. no. into Parts in Motion ( Exeter) website, and see what part number variants ( if any) you come up with. I would recommend you have a look at ones by Febi. 
Perhaps you could keep us updated Simon.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. classic wrong way to measure ride height Simon! 
Always measure from wheel centre to underside of wheel arch lip - never from ground. Always do measurements on level ground though. 

Simon.

If you frequently have a heavy load in the boot it would be worth investigating whether upgraded springs are available, and of course change both for a matched pair as Gareth mentioned.

Hi Cliff, yes I think its the right route to go down Gareth mentioned the Febi ones, I just to locate suitable upgradeable ones for the heavy loads.

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi, Simon,

looks to me as if your n/s/r lower spring mounting

rubber is on it's way out as well. by my observation.

if you are going to replace both springs, now would

be the time to replace that as well.

(only trying to help)

Brian.

• Like 1

Brian,

Many thanks for your kind message, yes I agree.

If I can upgrade both rear coil springs to help with heavier loads I think I should replace both mounts (as one the garage has used on the last spring looks like a completely different type to on the n/s/r).

Currently looking at coil springs but cant find anything that references upgraded ones.

I note you have a allroad b9, by chance, do you know where I might be able to locate upgraded ones to compensate for heavier weight loads?

Best regards,

Simon

Hi Simon,

regarding upgraded rear springs, I'm sorry, but i

have never had the need for them,

I would phone your local Audi dealer, and ask if 

they are available, and if so, try and get a part no,

& price. as a starting point.

good luck

Brian.

• Solution

Hello Simon,

Not sure if you have asked the question about heavier springs of Parts in Motion - ideally over the phone-? 
 My feeling is the answer will be no, and it’s likely the estate springs will be heavier than the saloon anyway, but ‘heavier than heavy’ ?? 
Might be worth looking at LLL Parts website to see if there are varying part numbers. 
Perhaps you could keep us updated on both avenues. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Many thanks Gareth,

I called my local Audi Dealership, they informed they only offer 1 standard genuine Audi coil spring that will fit on my vehicle. Frightening cost and installation price to go with it! 

LLL inform part number 8W0511115EE/vw-audi-coil-spring-8w0511115ee is the correct one, there are others but they sadly they can’t identify which ones would be an upgrade in their system. 

I also spoke to Parts In Motion who emailed me the following link advising it mentioned heavy duty on their system but that did not necessarily mean an upgrade:

Kilen Coil Spring Rear 50279   
https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk//car-parts/steering-suspension/coil-springs/kilen-50279-coil-spring-50279-detail

When I clicked on this link it I was informed:- ‘This part is not listed as a fit your vehicle click here to view Coil Springs that fit.’ I have already queried this and they informed they 
had to end up using the VIN and getting the OEM part number as when they searched using the reg, no springs came up, which is probably why this is not showing as a fit on the website as that goes off data from inputting the reg number only.

It this point, I’m not really that much further forward on the upgrade side and I am starting to think there probably isn’t one.

Best regards Simon.

I wondered if coil over springs might be useful here, but after reading up on them they appear to be more for lowering the suspension not stiffening it. Nevertheless it may be worth contacting a reputable company like Bilstein and asking its advice.

Hello Simon,

Don’t give up yet! 
I’ve just searched eBay against the part number, and come up with a choice - OK some from Germany etc. but inc.

Stratstone Audi at Nottingham at £88 each, and Parts in Motion’s Kilen brand ( never heard of that brand) at £58 each. 

I would have thought Febi would have done them, so worth looking up Febi/Bilstein Technical phone number and having a chat with them - I’ve done that in the past to good avail. 

Keep us updated Simon. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Did you mark the post as ‘Solution’? 

19 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

I wondered if coil over springs might be useful here, but after reading up on them they appear to be more for lowering the suspension not stiffening it. Nevertheless it may be worth contacting a reputable company like Bilstein and asking its advice.

Many thanks for this Cliff.

18 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Simon,

Don’t give up yet! 
I’ve just searched EBay against the part number, and come up with a choice - OK some from Germany etc. but inc.

Stratstone Audi at Nottingham at £88 each, and Parts in Motion’s Kilen brand ( never heard of that brand) at £58 each. 

I would have thought Febi would have done them, so worth looking up Febi/Bilstein Technical phone number and having a chat with them - I’ve done that in the past to good avail. 

Keep us updated Simon. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Did you mark the post as ‘Solution’? 

Many thanks Gareth, I will try to speak to Febi Technical as well. 

I have really appreciated all the advise from this forum.

Simon.

• Like 1