Strange Suspension Creak/Knock when pulling away and stoppi

Mr G

Hi all,

I am getting a strange suspension creak/knock when pulling away and stopping. Its really intermittent and literally just happens when I go to pull away from a standing start or stop, but its not all the time.

Its really weird as it sounds like a stretch creak and a little knock, I can't even describe it properly.

Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the front, other times from the rear.

Car is a 2017 A3 Sport 1.5 TFSI Saloon.

Any pointers please?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

The most likely culprits are the CV (constant velocity) joints. Does the knock become worse when the steering is at full lock?

Not really, its literally just when pulling away. I did suspect the CV's, but would expect it happen on lock, as you say.

9 hours ago, Mr G said:

Hi all,

I am getting a strange suspension creak/knock when pulling away and stopping. Its really intermittent and literally just happens when I go to pull away from a standing start or stop, but its not all the time.

Its really weird as it sounds like a stretch creak and a little knock, I can't even describe it properly.

Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the front, other times from the rear.

Car is a 2017 A3 Sport 1.5 TFSI Saloon.

Any pointers please?

Thanks.

Hi its probably what is referred to as the Dogbone link which fits from the bottom of the subframe to the engine, you have to remove the splash guard to see it, the bushes for this are mounted in the subframe the lower bush starts to split and thats where the noise comes from, the bushes are a pig of a job and require stripping the subframe out, the shame of it all is the bushes are only £20 each but the labour is horrendous, if the bushes are not to split you can always buy a Powerflex insert that fits in to the voids around the bush and make it solid again, these inserts are about £30 and easily fitted, look on YouTube for how to do it.

Steve.

13 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Does your car have anti-rock strut connecting the top of the engine to the bulkhead? If it does, check the rubber bush.

I don't think so, what does this look like? 

11 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its probably what is referred to as the Dogbone link which fits from the bottom of the subframe to the engine, you have to remove the splash guard to see it, the bushes for this are mounted in the subframe the lower bush starts to split and thats where the noise comes from, the bushes are a pig of a job and require stripping the subframe out, the shame of it all is the bushes are only £20 each but the labour is horrendous, if the bushes are not to split you can always buy a Powerflex insert that fits in to the voids around the bush and make it solid again, these inserts are about £30 and easily fitted, look on YouTube for how to do it.

Steve.

Thank you Steve. Car is going into the garage Tuesday. I will mention this to him to check. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its probably what is referred to as the Dogbone link

Dogbone link. I like that name Stevey, and must try to remember it. It describes the part exactly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is front lower suspension arms .. they have rubbers which over time creaks and if they are cracked  it will knock metal on metal.. It only will knock when u start reversing and turning and then u go forward and straighten steering wheel either left or right it can ckock sometimes.. Check ball joints...  

Or if u can hear creak from top it will be shockers bearings which sits on springs.. Spring mounts which goes on top of bearings are usually fine .. strong rubber ..

15 hours ago, Reno Pro said:

It is front lower suspension arms .. they have rubbers which over time creaks and if they are cracked  it will knock metal on metal.. It only will knock when u start reversing and turning and then u go forward and straighten steering wheel either left or right it can ckock sometimes.. Check ball joints...  

Or if u can hear creak from top it will be shockers bearings which sits on springs.. Spring mounts which goes on top of bearings are usually fine .. strong rubber ..

Its a really strange noise and its doing my head in. I've had the shocker, top mount and drop link replaced, the noise is almost gone when taking off, however in reverse its still doing it when I initially start to reverse, especially when steering is turned.

How easy are the lower suspension arms to replace?

Genuinely stumped by this.

So far the following have been replaced:

- Wishbone
- Strut
- Drop link
- Shocker
- Top mount.

On another forum I then found this bulletin, so I have now also silicone lubricant sprayed up the buses on both sides. I have literally grease or lube sprayed every bush in sight and still this problem persists.

I am now at a point where I do not know what else to look for.

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.