Q5 fuel consumption

Bluephenix

Hi guys currently have a4 avant 66 plate. I am thinking about 21/22 plate Q5  2L 201 bhp. My question is about realistic fuel consumption for mostly town driving? Are they gas guslers? As it is such a big car. Many thanks Andy 

OK, as it is:- 

We have c25 pages of posts generally seeking help with issues associated with their Q5s, so obviously quite a significant number of owners. 
Surely, there must be some members who just might be prepared to return a little help to others, and provide some useful advice to Andy.

Not too much to ask in return?? 

Forums should not be a one way valve to accept help with issues, and then not return experiences to help others. 

Many thanks for being able to assist Andy. 
Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Are you in the considering petrol or diesel? 

Mine is 2l tfsi 248bhp and average consumption over 3 years /50k+ miles reads as 35.5mpg. That's probably 75/25 motorway to town driving. 

But I have found the efficiency driving mode to give me over 30 on short trips. 

If you go for diesel, then you will almost certainly suffer dpf/egr issues if you don't clock a decent journey every 4 or 5 fill ups. 

@Gareth - I think it is unfortunately the nature of a lot of Audi owners that they post when they have a problem but avoid providing feedback for others.

When I had a Touareg, there was a lot more interaction on the mytreg forum 😕

• Like 1

Hi thank you for the reply.  It will be a diesel.  I think with that kind of consumption it will be a bit pricey to run. Thanks again.  Andy

I take it Richard is referring to his petrol fuel consumption. Diesel rather better. 
This is some large vehicle - costly to buy - and I would have thought there would be few prospective owners who would be too concerned about fuel consumption, when all other costs are taken into consideration. 

Responses from members on here:- exactly what I was indicating Richard. It’s all very well for owners to post pleas for help, but would I be considered to be too critical to state that not subsequently helping others- such as Andy, in this case - is downright selfish. 
Having said that, it is what it is, and I’m totally in equipped to change it. 
Anyway, many thanks Richard for your contribution. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Magnet said:

I take it Richard is referring to his petrol fuel consumption. Diesel rather better. 
This is some large vehicle - costly to buy - and I would have thought there would be few prospective owners who would be too concerned about fuel consumption, when all other costs are taken into consideration. 

Responses from members on here:- exactly what I was indicating Richard. It’s all very well for owners to post pleas for help, but would I be considered to be too critical to state that not subsequently helping others- such as Andy, in this case - is downright selfish. 
Having said that, it is what it is, and I’m totally in equipped to change it. 
Anyway, many thanks Richard for your contribution. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you for the reply.  Yes the car does cost a lot. Nit something I would normally spend.  But is a car to last us for sone time and a wee bit of a treat.  Bur if it is going to be so expensive to run we will go for our second choice.  The a6 avant.  Many thanks again Andy 

Thanks Andy - understand, but sometimes life is about just living the dream, rather than just thinking too much about the dream. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Andy - understand, but sometimes life is about just living the dream, rather than just thinking too much about the dream. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I know where you are coming from about living the dream. But still need to be realistic about running costs.  I had a nissan x-trail years ago. Great car but very expensive to run.  I went from £75 every 2 weeks to £105 when the fuel prices started to go up. Don't really want to be paying out that kind of money. Was hoping the Q5 would be better  but by the sounds of things I don't think it will be much better than the x-trail.  Cheers again Andy 

Andy - diesel will be much better on mpg, however as you have said that you are looking for mostly town driving then the DPF/EGR becomes a possible (and expensive) issue. You also have to offset the additional cost of diesel v petrol.

I got rid of my last diesel because of rising fuel costs and the expectation that before the country is completely ruined by (Delud)Ed and his predecessors, diesel is likely to be first to be "punished" (in taxes and duty) for it's evil emissions 😏

• Thanks 1