Wiper blade and arms replacement

greggles

Go to solution Solved by greggles,

My 2003 SE has a wiper arm and blade unlike any other. When I acquired the car in Jan 24, the blades needed replacing. This turned out to be the most 'fiddly' task I have ever encountered, I broke the tiny retaining clip and had to use duct tape to secure the wiper until I could identify a replacement (which is only available through Audi).

After several failed attempts to get the correct blades via eBay, I had to special order from a local auto spares shop. No choice, only Bosch blades available, and not cheap either.

After this debacle, I would like to completely change the arms and blades, upgrading to aero blades if possible. Has anyone already done this what what wiper arms and blades were used?

Hi Steve, I just scrapped an A3 after the timing belt tensioner decided to fail at 60mph. Had I known I was to acquire an A4 as a replacement I could have kept the wipers.

Anyway, bottom line, I was hoping someone might be able to give me precise information. Maybe, I should place this on a general forum in case someone in the past has come across this issue.

1 hour ago, greggles said:

Hi Steve, I just scrapped an A3 after the timing belt tensioner decided to fail at 60mph. Had I known I was to acquire an A4 as a replacement I could have kept the wipers.

Anyway, bottom line, I was hoping someone might be able to give me precise information. Maybe, I should place this on a general forum in case someone in the past has come across this issue.

Hi measure the arm  paying close attention to the shape then measure the spindle size in he middle of the retaining nut, my bet is they are the same sizes as the aeroflat arms, then go looking they never change the arm design just the end the blade fits in to, BTW Costco do a range of Michelin wiper blades with every adapter known to man £18.00 the pair, thats what I have always used.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Larry,

I did notice a new set for much the same price, but in Germany - with c£15 postage - in case it would not be possible to find secondhand ones. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.