A6 C7 2013 wheel change

bappymouth

Hi all,

I have a A6 C7 2013 S line manual. (Not quattro)

Is it possible to put these SE wheels (picture attached) on an S line A6 C7 without any issues? 

Measurements: 17” 225 55 R17

IMG_7502.jpeg

Hello Christian,

Welcome and thanks for joining.

Unfortunately you aren’t giving us enough information to be able to make a considered opinion, so could you please let us know:- 

What size wheels and tyres are currently fitted to your A6?

Is this wheel and tyre size combination listed ( on the inside of the fuel flap?) as being a recognised size for your model? 

Similar question in terms of the 17 inch wheels you want to fit-? 
Why do you want to make this change? 
We should be able to advise once you give us that information.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

8 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Christian,

Welcome and thanks for joining.

Unfortunately you aren’t giving us enough information to be able to make a considered opinion, so could you please let us know:- 

What size wheels and tyres are currently fitted to your A6?

Is this wheel and tyre size combination listed ( on the inside of the fuel flap?) as being a recognised size for your model? 

Similar question in terms of the 17 inch wheels you want to fit-? 
Why do you want to make this change? 
We should be able to advise once you give us that information.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

My apologies for the unspecific post, this is my first time dealing with changing wheels.

The current size of the wheels and tyres on my A6 are 18” 245/45/18 (picture attached to how they look like)

Yes this wheel and tyre size combination is a recognised size for my model inside the fuel filler cap.

The reason I want to change to smaller wheels is because I don’t want to be paying a higher cost for tyres in future with the s line wheels. I believe that the smaller 17” wheels will have cheaper tyres because the wheels are smaller and the first 3 numbers on the tyre is smaller (correct me if I am wrong)I prefer the smaller 17” wheels because it wont be as big of an issue if the wheels get damaged because they are less valuable than the s line wheels.

Any help is much appreciated.

IMG_7505.png

1 hour ago, bappymouth said:

Hi Gareth,

My apologies for the unspecific post, this is my first time dealing with changing wheels.

The current size of the wheels and tyres on my A6 are 18” 245/45/18 (picture attached to how they look like)

Yes this wheel and tyre size combination is a recognised size for my model inside the fuel filler cap.

The reason I want to change to smaller wheels is because I don’t want to be paying a higher cost for tyres in future with the s line wheels. I believe that the smaller 17” wheels will have cheaper tyres because the wheels are smaller and the first 3 numbers on the tyre is smaller (correct me if I am wrong)I prefer the smaller 17” wheels because it wont be as big of an issue if the wheels get damaged because they are less valuable than the s line wheels.

Any help is much appreciated.

IMG_7505.png

Hi if you measure the wheels including tyres from top to bottom and they are the same within five millimetres they should be fine, the only thing I would say is a must is have the car four wheel aligned on a Hunter machine as it will most probably have changed the camber/castor angles, please let us know how you get on.

Steve.

• Like 1

There are various sites you can use to correctly compare the "rolling circumference" of different wheel/tyre combinations. The obvious reason is to get the answers as close as possible to reduce any effects on speedo/abs etc etc.. An example Tire Size Comparison

If the wheel tyre combination is listed on the fuel flap then 100% it will be OK

One certain advantage of dropping the wheels size is comfort! The A6 Allroad I purchased had 20" wheels (255/40/20 tyres) ... very quickly changed to 18" (235/55/18 tyres) just for the improvement to ride !  Put simply the total radius is the wheel + the tyre.. if the wheel is large the tyre is skinny, if the wheel is smaller the tyre is taller. The taller the tyre the more flexible and capable of absorbing impacts it becomes. The fact that 18" tyres are, generally, cheaper than 20" tyres was a secondary consideration for me ...... I just wanted to keep my teeth in when driving UK potholed roads !!

Edited by Entwood
  • Like 1

The maths are:- 

Calculate 45% of 245mm and double it. Add 18 inches converted to mm - 18 x 25.4. . That will give you the rolling dia. of your current wheel and tyre size. 
Calculate 55% of 225 mm and double it. Add 17 inches converted to mm. That will give you the rolling dia. of the set up you wish to move to. 
As Steve says re comparing those diameters. 
Have you worked it out yet!! 
Too late in the day for me. 
As said, let the comparison sites do the maths for you. 

Couple of points:- 

Don’t assume ( if you are) that smaller diameter tyres will be cheaper. Prices depend on volume popularity. 
Again as said, smaller wheels and larger profile tyres = softer ride than large wheels and skinny profiles. 
Lower profiles ( as you currently have) = better roadholding - if that is important to you.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I expect to come back early in the morning when you have worked it out Christian! Only joking.