Electronic Handbrake Squeaking Noise

Go to solution Solved by Stevey Y,

Hi folks I’ve been trying to find a topic on this issue. When applying the handbrake there is a relatively loud squeak noise at it finishes applying. Same when the handbrake is deactivated.

i am sure there must be a topic on this somewhere as it seems to be a relatively common fault.  Have searched YouTube but most just suggest dismantling the brakes and regreasing which I have done. 

any help would be appreciated. 

cheers

jonathan 

• Solution
2 hours ago, Jonathanhirst said:

This is an electric parking brake

Hi the most common cause of this is people grease the backs of the pads most brake pads come with an anti squeal pad on the back of the pad its like a film of rubber which when the pads are first used bonds the pad to the surface of the calliper stopping the pad from moving, therefore if you have greased that surface they move when the pads are released and squeal.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the most common cause of this is people grease the backs of the pads most brake pads come with an anti squeal pad on the back of the pad its like a film of rubber which when the pads are first used bonds the pad to the surface of the calliper stopping the pad from moving, therefore if you have greased that surface they move when the pads are released and squeal.

Steve.

thanks Steve, I’ll have a check on that. I took the brakes apart on Sat and cleaned/greased them and thought it might work but we re look at them 

there’s nothing in the motor or the cylinder that makes this noise then? My car has done 160k miles. 

j

20 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Jonathon.

Is the handbrake mechanical or electrical?

It’s electrical yes. Any help would be appreciated! 

7 hours ago, Jonathanhirst said:

thanks Steve, I’ll have a check on that. I took the brakes apart on Sat and cleaned/greased them and thought it might work but we re look at them 

there’s nothing in the motor or the cylinder that makes this noise then? My car has done 160k miles. 

j

It’s electrical yes. Any help would be appreciated! 

Hi nothing on the motor will cause that its just the pads moving against the cylinder and the flat mounting surface of the outer calliper this in turn squeals when it is gripped by the disc, the only place you should grease is the pad runners and the floating pins under the rubber boots.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

How things have changed over the years! Decades ago normal practice was to apply Copaslip to the back of the pads (as well as the pins and pad guides,) and rely on anti squeak springs to prevent any noise. So that's something new I have learned from Steve, though I hope I never have to put it into practice.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi nothing on the motor will cause that its just the pads moving against the cylinder and the flat mounting surface of the outer calliper this in turn squeals when it is gripped by the disc, the only place you should grease is the pad runners and the floating pins under the rubber boots.

Steve.

33 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

How things have changed over the years! Decades ago normal practice was to apply Copaslip to the back of the pads (as well as the pins and pad guides,) and rely on anti squeak springs to prevent any noise. So that's something new I have learned from Steve, though I hope I never have to put it into practice.

Hi yes that was common practice pre floating callipers when you were replacing pads in fixed callipers I.E. the pads slotted in to the calliper of which the only moving part was the main piston and the pads, these suffered with brake bind and uneven pad wear, the advent of floating callipers this was virtually eradicated as there was more vertical and lateral movement for both calliper and pads to allow for dirt and corrosion inside the calliper, therefore the pads will always release, I have found through experience copper grease can also affect the performance of speed sensors, therefore I only use silicone grease on the pins and Ceratec on the pad runners as both the products have no conductivity.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 7:19 PM, Stevey Y said:

Steve.

Worked mate many thanks. So pleased!

• Like 1