Hello.....rear subframe query

Colin Beveridge

Now debating whether to try to put my 1993 80b4 1.9 tdi back on the road. Biggest prob is the rusty rear subframe...bush mounts almost completely rusted away. Can I repair subframe,  or do I have to find a good replacement?

Many thanks in advance....

Colin 

Only you can say if you can or should attempt a repair. It depends how good your welding is, whether you have a suitable jig to align all the parts, and how important it is to get a 31 year old car roadworthy again.

Economically it makes no sense at all, but if the car has sentimental value to you then the size of your bank balance is the only limiting factor.

Welcome Colin, and thanks for joining. 
As far as I’m aware, a weld repair on a subframe will lead to an MOT failure, so in essence, the answer is no, you cannot weld your rusty one. 
Even if my take on it is not absolutely correct, I would have thought you would be taking a chance on a failure having done all the work necessary to get to that welding stage. 
Alternatives:- List your ‘want’ on the on-line breaker link sites such as Partsfinder - there are others. 
Look up a site called IM Axles ( I think that is what they are called). They do new sub frames for more modern cars. For your model?? - but worth an ask. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.